Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Aguila Super Extra 22 Subsonic Hollowpoint

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  GT_80 
#1 ·
I picked up 250 rounds of this stuff online last week, wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Wonder how accurate it is being subsonic- Gonna try in my Ruger precision rimfire, Ruger American Rimfire, and my target 10/22's

I had excellent luck with my target guns and standard velocity CCI's (which I bought 5 bricks of when I had a chance), and ok results with Federal Auto Match.

See less See more
#3 ·
That's good to hear. I hate to admit, Aguila has been the most reliable go-to ammo I have bought in bulk in the last couple years. Probably have 2500 rounds of it between lead and copper plated. I love it, and the smell doesn't bother me at all.

#9 ·
PMC sold a round made by Aquila called Moderator back in the 90s, almost the exact specs 38 gr HP at 1005 fps vs the 1024 claimed here, a couple of my Brno No. 1's think its target ammo but alas I'm almost out of it. They were very quiet out of a 23 inch barrel which was a good trait for Squirrel round.

#10 ·
Aguila subsonic is my favorite hunting ammo. Preferred the hollow points, and still have a couple bricks. AFAIK, Aguila discontinued them several years ago and all you can get in subsonic is the round nose, which is no slouch. I love it in my 39A, since with the 24" barrel it is very quiet even at high elevation in the winter where the speed of sound drops. You found some good stuff.

#11 ·
Subsonic is a synonym for standard velocity.
I think everyone who frequents this site knows with rare exception.22’s shoot better with standard velocity ammo.
Let us know your results.

My personal opinion, the high end European makers excepted :
We can’t sell standard velocity everyone wants “ high velocity”
We will rebrand it and market it to suppressor users and charge more for it
Great idea!
We will call it subsonic and it will sound all tactic- cool!
Great !

#13 ·
I did shoot some of it our of my Ruger American Rimfire a couple weeks ago, but I had just put a new scope on it, and I was trying to shoot off sand bags, which I am not accustomed to, and I did not have very stellar groups. I usually use a bipod and shoulder the stock, and I need to go back to that for my accuracy tests. I was getting better groups with 36 grain Federal hp bulk (from the 1600 rd black packs), and aguila 40 grain round nose, both like 1200 fps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.