Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:18 PM
Phelpsm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger 10/22 17hm2 springs

Has anyone put a heavier recoil spring in to make them work right instead of putting that big ugly bolt handle on it ?
Old 01-05-2019, 03:30 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Do a forum search. Many have tried and few have succeeded. It's a risky ordeal. Een just the heavy handle might not work.

Now you can try a charger with a 10" barrel and they are very compliant.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:28 AM
Phelpsm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 06:19 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Years back when the 17HM2 was introduced, there was a rush to convert 10/22's to 17HM2. The results were so bad that barrel supplier removed the conversion barrels from their catalogs. In addition , other manufacturers dropped plans for a semi-auto 17HM2 gun. There was also an ammunition problem with some manufacturers. The cases would split or blow out in any type gun. They must have overcome that problem by now (??). But converting a 10/22 to 17HM2 will rarely be successful without problems.

The 10/22 is a great 22LR gun but its design does not like the shape of the higher pressure curve of 17HM2. The results were blown out cases because the bolt failed to fully close or retain the high gas pressures. Admittedly some here got them to work after much more modification than dropping a barrel into the gun.

At a minimum you need the heavy bolt handle and more probably need a heavier bolt. The inertia of the bolt is key to controlling any blow back operated gun. The right springs help as well but which ones? The 10/22 is just crude enough to not handle the higher pressures and the shape of the pressure curve of 17HM2 well. I suggest you abandon the effort and get a good bolt 17HM2. CZ still makes one as do others.

LDBennett
Old 01-06-2019, 08:39 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Safe

LDBennett, that is certainly the safe route. The dreaded "pressure spike" was all everybody talked about when the conversions were first being tried. One of the theories the deep thinkers put forth was that shorter barrels helped control the problem. They also opined that no two guns were the same. Each had to be "tuned" with various springs, weights, etc. I have 2 successful HM2 conversions. Both have stronger recoil and hammer springs (remember the bolt has to push the hammer back, too). One has a 16" VQ carbon fiber barrel, the other is a Charger with a 12" barrel. Neither has the heavy bolt handle but both do have a factory magnum bolt handle which used to be readily available online. Brownells, if I recall correctly. I put them on every 10/22 I own/owned. Little-to-no additional weight, just handier for big hands on scoped guns. Both of these guns started out spitting ignition debris badly out of the ejection port but the springs stopped that. Got the springs in kits from KIDD. Heaviest spring did the trick. Then of course, there is the requirement to religiously clean the chamber more often than you think necessary just like the HMR conversions. I was somewhat surprised at how much the Charger jumps when shot off the bipod. As mentioned above, the barrel is 12" long and .920" diameter the full length. It thinks it's a rifle. I actually ordered the barrel before I bought the gun and only shot it a few times as a .22lr.

Today, I doubt the barrels are available anywhere unless you want to buy a .17 caliber blank and have a competent smith chamber it and fit it to a 10/22.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 PM
packrat
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 to 17 hm2

I have Ruger 10/22 with a 17hm2 barrel and heavy bolt handle, but last time I shot it blow off the extractor and spring and some cases split or blow out. Where does one buy a heaver 10/22 bolt.?

Reading these posts have been a lot of help, I gave up on this a few years back but I do have some ammo and want to work on this problem and get it shooting.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:56 PM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat View Post
I have Ruger 10/22 with a 17hm2 barrel and heavy bolt handle, but last time I shot it blow off the extractor and spring and some cases split or blow out. Where does one buy a heaver 10/22 bolt.?

Reading these posts have been a lot of help, I gave up on this a few years back but I do have some ammo and want to work on this problem and get it shooting.
I suspect it's going to have to be a custom mod on a bolt. My gunsmith said he worked on one years ago and added tungsten to a bolt.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 PM
packrat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 to 17 hm2

Apparently Volquartsen made a heavy bolt for Ruger 10/22 17 Mach 2 conversion at one time, I would like to here from a shooter that has used one. Has anyone tried to add lead to the bolt to make it heaver.?

Last edited by packrat; 01-11-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:05 AM
22/silencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
if you are going to the trouble of adding weight to the bolt my not add tungsten,
it weighs more than lead.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:02 AM
packrat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
tungsten

22/silencer, Saw a post that you have a added tungsten to a bolt can you tell how it was done and how it runs.?
Old 01-12-2019, 12:31 PM
22/silencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
first off i will say, i now have over 1200 rounds on the jwh competitor bolt and it is
running 99.9999% just because no one believes it can be perfect. i have been using
the last of my first run 17hm2 stock from way back. i have been using the bolt lock
on the trigger housing and that has taken care of the doomed shells. i am using a 19in
gm taper barrel. i added weight two ways one by drilling holes in the bolt, amd by
machining the back half of the bolt and bolting tungsten to the bolt. i will say it runs
a lot better than the 16.5 in barrel that was back bored to 15.5 and just springs
and the bolt lock. i did a few have bulged case but no blowouts. back then, now that
has gone. my father in-law has a savage a17 semi with the delay blow back i have
check the weight to pull back the bolt with the hammer down on a empty chamber
with a 12lb trigger gauge and it takes between 11.0 and 11.5lb to cock it, and my
pegs the gauge ,so i am over 12lbs to cock the bolt.so maybe i have enough tension
to delay the bolt to a safe pressure. be safe all ways wear your safety glass when test with the 17hm2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17hm2g4a.jpg (104.1 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1166.JPG (165.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by 22/silencer; 01-12-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:26 PM
packrat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 to 17 hm2

Thanks for the information and photos, very interesting.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:50 PM
FyrepowrX
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat View Post
Apparently Volquartsen made a heavy bolt for Ruger 10/22 17 Mach 2 conversion at one time, I would like to here from a shooter that has used one. Has anyone tried to add lead to the bolt to make it heaver.?
some years ago i bought a 10/22 Volquartsen 17m2 heavy bolt kit from someone here, had the bolt, rod, and spring....will weigh the bolt, kinda curious how that compares to a standard 10/22bolt.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:18 PM
m17hm2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/silencer View Post
first off i will say, i now have over 1200 rounds on the jwh competitor bolt and it is
running 99.9999% just because no one believes it can be perfect. i have been using
the last of my first run 17hm2 stock from way back. i have been using the bolt lock
on the trigger housing and that has taken care of the doomed shells. i am using a 19in
gm taper barrel. i added weight two ways one by drilling holes in the bolt, amd by
machining the back half of the bolt and bolting tungsten to the bolt. i will say it runs
a lot better than the 16.5 in barrel that was back bored to 15.5 and just springs
and the bolt lock. i did a few have bulged case but no blowouts. back then, now that
has gone. my father in-law has a savage a17 semi with the delay blow back i have
check the weight to pull back the bolt with the hammer down on a empty chamber
with a 12lb trigger gauge and it takes between 11.0 and 11.5lb to cock it, and my
pegs the gauge ,so i am over 12lbs to cock the bolt.so maybe i have enough tension
to delay the bolt to a safe pressure. be safe all ways wear your safety glass when test with the 17hm2
Looks great. I'm working to do the same thing. I have a machinist friend who just took delivery of some parts and my design, which is basically an exact replica of a factory bolt with a bolt on piece of tungsten, like the VQ design, and what you did there.

The VQ bolt works great. But it's a proprietary firing pin and charging handle. The holy grail, IMO, is a stock ruger bolt of the correct weight, so we modders can add whatever components to it we want to it.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:45 PM
22/silencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the newer cast bolts are a little lighter than the older machined bolts, the stock
bolt that i drilled the holes in with stock return spring. weight was 8.9 oz and the
jwh bolt that i added the tungsten block to was 9.0oz .