Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Range report CZ455 WhistlePig 17hm2 barrel

Kind of long - You can skip to the pictures if you want

So, I started off this CZ 455 journey looking to get a lightweight barrel for a Ruger Precision Rimfire. I have known about WhistlePig barrels for a few years now. I have a buddy with a 10-22 barrel from WPGBC who has been extremely pleased with his. I reached out to Louis asking about the RPR and a possible barrel and got sidetracked talking about his CZ 455 barrels. I ended up getting a .22lr barrel from him (haven’t been able to shoot it for groups yet) and asked if he would consider doing a 17hmr barrel (I use the 17hmr barrel on my CZ455 about 95% of the time). Louis told me that he was considering doing a 17hm2 barrel but not a 17hmr barrel. I wasn’t too excited about it at the time because I had my heart set on a 17hmr barrel, but the seed had been planted. I started reading all the info I could about the 17hm2 round and looked up reviews on the accuracy of the rifles with the 17hm2 ammo. I posted a thread to let guys here know about the possibility of a new barrel being available.

The deal sealer was one day I walked into my local Cabela’s and saw 17hm2 ammo on the shelf for ~$8.00 a box of 50. So, I decided to send an email to Louis and see where he was with the 17hm2 project.

As luck would have it, Louis had a few 17hm2 barrels and he asked if I would like to test one out. It was a no brainer. I told him of course I would love to try one out. So after letting him know I would test one out, I ran back up to the local Cabela’s and bought out the remaining 17hm2 ammo they had on hand.

Three days late the barrel came in. Here are some pictures comparing the 17hm2 barrel to the WhistlePig .22lr barrel (fluted).

The barrel was snug to get it to fit into the cz455 action (i.e. I needed to tap it with a rubber mallet to get it to go the last little bit. Also I had to use a SiCo Sparrow suppressor adapter to get my suppressor to fit correctly (I assume other suppressors would work fine but it is the o-ring engagement from the sparrow that caused issues).

Note:
[Rifle is a CZ 455 – no modifications to the action other than an enlarged bolt knob, a trigger shoe on the trigger and aftermarket bottom metal.
Stock is CZ OEM and is not bedded
DIP Scope mount and scope rings I think are Burris
Scope is Vortex Diamondback 3-12 HP with a BDC reticle (not the best scope for accuracy testing due to heavy crosshairs but it’s what I had).]

Once I got it all together I cleaned the barrel and test fired one round to see if it was all in working order.

Above are two pictures of the first round shot through the gun. No signs of pressure or headspace issues as far as I can see.

Then I had to wait until I could get to the indoor range. Below are the pictures of the set up at the range.

Here is the First target. The lower group is sighting it in starting at 7 yards and moving it back to 25 yards (7 shots) and the top group with the calipers are shots 8-13 through the barrel (actually 9-14 counting the test shot when assembled).

Below are the next 3 (5 shot) groups at 25 yards– some were shot suppressed and some unsuppressed and it is noted on the target. The best group was (0.39” outside to outside so about 0.22” CTC) and worst was (0.64” OTO or 0.44” CTC).

Next was to move it back to 50 yards. Groups started to open up but the middle group was horrible. After bringing it in. I went through and checked everything to see if anything was loose and my suppressor had started to come loose (whoops!). Groups were 0.56 unsuppressed OTO or 0.62 suppressed OTO or 0.39/0.45 CTC.

Time was starting to get limited by this point so I cleaned the barrel and sent out a target to 100 yards.
I shot 2 fowling shots (wrote fliers on the paper) and shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards. Group was basically a 0.78” OTO or 0.61” CTC. Not too bad considering this was the first time out and there were less than 75 rounds down the barrel.

Final thoughts and conclusions:

Pros
1. Is the barrel accurate? – Yes, for my purposes its plenty accurate and probably even more accurate with a better shooter, better scope, bedded action, trigger job, and possibly trying out some Hornady ammo. – The rifle shot under ¾” at 100 yards so sub MOA which is good enough for me.
2. Is the barrel light? – Yes- I didn’t have a scale but the handling of rifle now feels more like a 10-22 in a Hogue stock with a Tactical Solutions (or WhistlePig) barrel- super light and should be a joy to carry for hunting.
3. Is the barrel well made?- Yes, I have had quite a few 10-22 barrels and the quality of the WPGBC barrel is as good as any I have had or handled.
4. Cost – Well below a Iilja and right in line with Kidd, TacSol, Feddersen, etc… in price ~200.00 (note: I paid for the 0.22lr barrel but didn’t pay for the 17hm2 barrel)

Cons
1. Thread length for SiCo sparrow owners – This is being nitpicky but good to know if you own a sparrow.

Conclusions –
Overall I am super happy. My rifle shoots sub MOA out to 100 yards (with a better scope the accuracy could be even better). The handling of the rifle is much better. The 17hm2 round is a pleasure to shoot and seems to be more accurate than my 17hmr in my gun. My only two things I would change would be the length of the barrel and threads to be compatible with my sparrow. I will say that this configuration will be going with me hunting this year and the 17hmr barrel will be staying home.

If anyone is considering getting one of these I would say do it (or at least the 22lr barrel).
Old 03-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Steal Shooter

TPC Rating: 
89% (14)
I hope to be reporting on one next week. I have the 22lr barrel. It's 16.5inches long and threaded. Finish is very nice, accuracy is superb. The handling of the gun is perfect. I am thrilled. I too was hoping for a 17hmr barrel but I love the mach 2 cartridge. I am hoping to get one of his barrels next week. I gotta pay for mine though.

SS
Old 03-11-2018, 11:26 PM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the review. Good to know Whistle pig will make 17hm2 barrels. I like my octagon barrel in 17hm2 but haven't tried it at 100 yet. 50 showed it was a tack driver.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:44 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Don't suppose he's made mention of doing the 22 wmr.

Although the stainless version with one of these barrels in Mach 2 would be a really sweet pack rig.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
Don't suppose he's made mention of doing the 22 wmr.

Although the stainless version with one of these barrels in Mach 2 would be a really sweet pack rig.

No mention of the 22wmr - You might email or call him.

Louis has been really response and answered all of my questions. I lucked into this barrel just as a matter of coincidence as I was looking for a lightweight barrel for my boy and possibly a lightweight 17hmr barrel.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Shooter View Post
I hope to be reporting on one next week. I have the 22lr barrel. It's 16.5inches long and threaded. Finish is very nice, accuracy is superb. The handling of the gun is perfect. I am thrilled. I too was hoping for a 17hmr barrel but I love the mach 2 cartridge. I am hoping to get one of his barrels next week. I gotta pay for mine though.

SS
Glad to hear you're getting one.

I was surprised at how little the rifle moved even with the lightweight barrel. I think it moves even less than when I had the heavier 17hmr barrel on it.

On a side note: I looked at all my CCI brass and not one had a bulge or a split neck (Only have shot about 100 rounds now through it).

Took the rifle out on Saturday and let some friends shoot the rifle. They all commented on how fun it was. The low recoil, accuracy and explosiveness was great for the kids to shoot with because it was easier for them to shoot well and they got a bigger reaction than my 10-22.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Steal Shooter

TPC Rating: 
89% (14)
Louis does make cz 455 22wmr barrels. Check out his site. He has a 18inch on there
Old 03-13-2018, 11:20 AM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
I see that, my initial search was just 16.5 inch barrels so the 18 didn't show.

Cz 455 scout combined with that 17 hm2 barrel will be a good youth rifle combo.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
I see that, my initial search was just 16.5 inch barrels so the 18 didn't show.

Cz 455 scout combined with that 17 hm2 barrel will be a good youth rifle combo.
Give him a call if it's not on the website

Here are some pictures of the cases from the 1st 50 rounds shot. No split cases or bulged rims

Old 03-14-2018, 08:29 PM
fish4food

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well, thanks for putting me in the dog house guys.

Momma is not gonna be happy. Now I HAVE to get a 455 and a Mach 2 barrel.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:56 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I hear you.

I am still trying to figure out how to get another CZ455 for the .22lr barrel from WhistlePig that's sitting in the safe gathering dust

Just went out and picked up some 17hm2 Hornady ammo (not the best price ~8.50) but I wanted to test a few to see if it's worth buying online.

Probably will be a few weeks before I can get out and seriously test it again.

Might even be able to squeeze in some Jackrabbit hunting. Would love to see some first hand results on some big jacks.