Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:02 AM
john_fes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
making mach2 from stinger cartridge

.17mach2 madness? = loading your own !!

I love my Marlin .17mach2 but if you think obtaining the ammo in the USA is getting difficult you want to try finding it in the UK!

Eley used to make it and when they stopped (2005?) and sold all the 17gr bullets to one of the UK gun trade distributors who continue to sell the bullets at around 5.00 per 100.

My nights shooting (night vision) may only need 10 to 20 rounds for the rabbits so that got me thinking was it possible to make the mach2 from a CCI 22lr stinger cartridge.

Fortunately I have my own lathe and decided to have a “quick” play, not wanting to spend time cutting threads to make dies to fit a RCBS press I decided to make inserts that would fit in some old discarded dies.

Initially I made four items of tooling (after a few attempts!!).

A simple .22lr case holder to pull the stinger bullet from the case.

A simple case stand to use as a shell holder.

A tool to neck down the .22 to .17mach2 specifications.

A tool to seat and crimp the .17 bullet.

later I added a very simple bullet starter to align/start the bullet in the case mouth before final seating/crimping.

Final item a tiny powder funnel to tip the powder into the necked down case.

What powder and how much?

Took an educated guess after looking at the CIP pressure specifications for the .22LR and .17mach2 (and .17hmr) and decided to use the powder tipped out of the .22 stinger, working my way up to all the powder obtained from a stinger round.
With my CED chrono at about 10ft from the muzzle, this gave a velocity slightly less (1936fps) than a factory Eley Mach2 round (2108fps). 16inch barrel length on my Marlin.

So I continued working up adding powder until I obtained similar velocity (2140fps) to the Eley.

This does require a very accurate and sensitive (expensive!) electronic scales mine measure to a max of 5grams in 0.0001gm resolution as the powder dose is very small.

So far I have made and shot quite a few with excellent accuracy in fact I now prefer my own to that of a factory round.

I have also started playing with a subsonic version using a different (slower ball powder) with 17gr bullets and now have some 20gr bullets to try soon.
Subsonic has its uses in the UK and was looking for them not to bounce around like the .22lr does.

Now I know this may not make financial sens, is a lot of effort and I could use the hmr but that as we all know has its issues with split cases and so far I have not had the same problem with the mach2 even my own necked down cases.

Also this is not so much about money more about the enjoyment of owning and shooting the mach2 and at night on the ground I can shoot it is an ideal tool for the job.

I have also pushed the velocity past that of a standard factory mach2 with no issue, which does lead to an interesting question given the CIP pressure data for the .17mach2 and .17hmr are the same (Pmax 1800bar, PK 20070bar & PE 3240bar) and the bullet weight is the same why is the .17mach2 factory ammo slower than that of the hmr?

Over to the experts for comments or the men in white coats to take me away.

Not sure how to post photos yet.

Last edited by john_fes; 10-31-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:55 PM
SwampF0X

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Very interesting idea. Good for you, making your own 17hm2. I'd never even thought of doing that.

swampy
Old 10-31-2017, 08:31 AM
22/silencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCi is making a hm2 in stinger case am on wait list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2017, 10:42 PM
big_o_tom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Please elaborate on this.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:05 AM
john_fes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
Please elaborate on this.
A couple of pictures

bullet puller, seating & crimping die, case forming die, powder funnel and start bullet seating tool.

hope that helps.

Last edited by john_fes; 11-07-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:13 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Should not have shown it on the internet. Now everyone is going to be doing it lol

Truly a cool project and surely you derived great satisfaction from it. You might want to research Eichelberger cartridges. He did all kinds of stuff with reformed rimfire.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:21 PM
AlpineM1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Great idea!!

Have done any testing for accuracy? It wood seem just line a center fire round you may find that exact powder amount that the rifle likes?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:23 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Luckily I still have 3,000 rounds for my wife"s rifle.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:30 AM
Devon

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
john_fes, how much for a set of dies?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:17 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
I have no idea what it takes to make a bottleneck Rimfire cartridge set. But in college we did make full sets of 22 Mag dies like he did with the mach2.

It was a labor of love, can't imagine dies would even be remotely viable for sale.

Although I fully admit I love seeing it done, we loaded a lot of 40 grain V-Max single shot, over a small load of Hodgdon little gun. I think back then the average box of 22 mag was about 6:50, it cost us $16 to load them. But the performance was phenomenal.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:47 AM
slingworks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What was the highest velocity you've achieved so far? How was the accuracy?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:42 AM
john_fes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry I have been slow to reply.

I have so far matched the velocity of the Eley ammo and accuracy is good as the Eley.

The winter in the UK stops my old bones, playing with chrono's but very soon will be able to to continue with more testing on a nice dry warm day.

Re selling the tooling, sadly not viable to make and ship sorry.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:36 PM
verminshooter29

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
keep pressure on Edgar brothers to keep a good supply..i got some fresh ammo through them last year..seems they have more due this may
Old 03-06-2018, 05:00 PM
4eyes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

This is awesome. Ingenuity at it's finest!
I've only dreamt about reloading 22.