different ammo grains?? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:17 PM
EGD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
different ammo grains??

I see commonly 36-38-40 grain ammo. Does it make any difference for just shooting steel challenge? Are their pros/cons to the different weight bullets?
Old 11-22-2020, 01:46 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
For steel challenge, no not really. Just try and stick with one or the other during a competition. Of course that would be the same for any type of ammo during competition, you don't want to change what your shooting in the middle. And be sure to sight in with whichever ammo you plan to shoot.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:03 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most guns seem to prefer an ammo.. Stick w/ that esp for a match as the others could shoot to a different POA (point of aim) and would be needed to be sighted in differently.

But as was mentioned for steel match (pretty close targets I believe) it wont make much difference. Shooting bullseyes (USBR) could make lots of difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2020, 09:30 PM
EGD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. That's what I figured but thought I'd ask.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:11 PM
CrankyBuzzard
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm new here, but I've been toying with the .22 for some 45 odd years, and I've been shooting larger bore rifles for about the same time... As someone above said, some rifles just "prefer" one ammo over another.

I have a 6mm Remington that LOVES Hornady and groups well with it, but most anything else, ammo wise, is "outside" of my liking. I've probaly fired 3000+ rounds through it, and she loves the Hornady.

As for .22 ammo, I have a "hybrid" 10/22 that spits out 1/2" groups at 50 yards as long as I use XYZ rounds, but using other ammo it opens up to 3/4-1"...

Some issues will be the trigger enabler for sure, but some will also be the ammo
since we tend assume the same "welded" hold each time when shooting for groups.

I gave our son a rifle a few years ago, that he had shot/hunted with consistently with for several years, and then he called me and said that it was no longer a "tack driver" since he had missed 3 head shots on turkeys in 3 days. After chatting for a bit he said that once he ran out of the shells I had provided he bought another brand that was the same calibre. Different grain bullet, different brand. After he went and got the stuff the girl was "used" to shooting, it was back to turkey heads going bye bye...

If you're after tight groups, listen to the rifle, she will tell you what she likes and doesn't like.

Don't always beieve what the "others" say about good or bad rounds... Go with what your shot placement tells you, and DON'T be afraid to "waste" ammo when trying to see what works best...

Now, again, I'm new here...
Old 11-23-2020, 11:56 PM
EGD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where do you live that turkey hunting is legal with a 22?
Old 11-24-2020, 04:10 AM
zymurgeist
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Virginia for one.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:18 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Hey EGD:

In steel challenge, you might want one of the harder hitting ammos to make sure you knock over the plate.

Eley makes a 42 grain bullet ammo that you might want to give a try, it was available at killough's a couple weeks ago but I think that they are sold out.

Back during the Great Obama Ammo Shortage 10 years ago, I picked up a case of GEMTECH 42 grain 22LR. Looked like it came off the CCI SV assembly line with different packaging. It has a noticeably stouter recoil although the accuracy out of my bullseye pistol is the same when shot off a rest. Curiously, I do not score as good with it with the heavier recoil in a match so I am using it up as practice.

With that being said, you might also want to check out SK Pistol Match and SK Pistol Match Special. They have a little bit more horsepower which is noticeable in my Pardini. Even more curiously, with the stouter recoil, my scores with this ammo are the same as if I was using my regular ammo (CCI SV).

In my Winchester 52c Competition rifle, I use SK Pistol Match Special as my competition ammo. While it is not the most accurate ammo I have shot out of that rifle, it does deliver 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards which is good enough for 4 position shooting and it does not cost $25.00 for a box.

Want to tip my hat to CrankyBuzzard! Welcome to the forum! Nice handle.

Regards,
Crankster
Old 11-24-2020, 07:29 AM
CrankyBuzzard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGD View Post
Where do you live that turkey hunting is legal with a 22?
In Texas we can use rimfire for turkeys in most counties. A few are shotgun or archery only, but most allow our .17 and .22 friends.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:30 AM
CrankyBuzzard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
In steel challenge, you might want one of the harder hitting ammos to make sure you knock over the plate.

Eley makes a 42 grain bullet ammo that you might want to give a try, it was available at killough's a couple weeks ago but I think that they are sold out.

Back during the Great Obama Ammo Shortage 10 years ago, I picked up a case of GEMTECH 42 grain 22LR. Looked like it came off the CCI SV assembly line with different packaging. It has a noticeably stouter recoil although the accuracy out of my bullseye pistol is the same when shot off a rest. Curiously, I do not score as good with it with the heavier recoil in a match so I am using it up as practice.

With that being said, you might also want to check out SK Pistol Match and SK Pistol Match Special. They have a little bit more horsepower which is noticeable in my Pardini. Even more curiously, with the stouter recoil, my scores with this ammo are the same as if I was using my regular ammo (CCI SV).

In my Winchester 52c Competition rifle, I use SK Pistol Match Special as my competition ammo. While it is not the most accurate ammo I have shot out of that rifle, it does deliver 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards which is good enough for 4 position shooting and it does not cost $25.00 for a box.

Want to tip my hat to CrankyBuzzard! Welcome to the forum! Nice handle.

Regards,
Crankster
thanks for the welcome. It looks like there is a lot of knowledge in this group. Iíve been lurking a while and just decided to sign up yesterday.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:35 AM
EGD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In steel challenge all we have to do is hit it, not knock it over. But thanks for replying.

Here in Arkansas it's shotguns only, unless it's changed in the years since I paid attention.