Purdy Calculation for a Harrell's Tuner - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:21 PM
jfleisc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

So again every rifle you used the PRX can do 1/2" MOA ?

Lee[/QUOTE]

No, not every one can do 1/2 MOA. Maybe less than half can (as with all rifles some turn out better than others) but the formula lets me get them as good as they can be for substantially less time and ammunition. Isn't that the point?
Old 11-22-2020, 08:47 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleisc View Post
So again every rifle you used the PRX can do 1/2" MOA ?

Lee
No, not every one can do 1/2 MOA. Maybe less than half can (as with all rifles some turn out better than others) but the formula lets me get them as good as they can be for substantially less time and ammunition. Isn't that the point?[/QUOTE]

I thought the point was to find a setting that will allow a rifle to shoot at the very best it can.
if the rifle is capable and I have good ammo to use, I generally can find the setting with less then 200 rds.
with a 30-40 click range of being close to a setting, using the PRX a shooter will shoot more ammo trying to find the setting.

From my experience a factory Anschutz1413-
took 51 rds.
validating tuner settings at Lapua
same rifle 100 yd. Hunter match
100yd. Hunter match 5-shot sighter

This is a different rifle from the earlier targets, using the same method to find the tuner setting. so took only 51 rounds to find the tuner setting. using 3-shot groups

Lee
Old 11-22-2020, 09:14 PM
jfleisc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought the point was to find a setting that will allow a rifle to shoot at the very best it can.

I thought the point of the original poster was asking if anyone had experience using the PRX on Harrell tuners. I posted mine.

Since I can't afford one of those Anschutz I have to build and test/setup all my own stuff. If I was going to pour money into expensive guns and all I wouldn't even bother with going through a tuning procedure. I'd do it the easiest way and just pay some pro to do it while I take a nap.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:30 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:

I thought the point of the original poster was asking if anyone had experience using the PRX on Harrell tuners. I posted mine.

Since I can't afford one of those Anschutz I have to build and test/setup all my own stuff. If I was going to pour money into expensive guns and all I wouldn't even bother with going through a tuning procedure. I'd do it the easiest way and just pay some pro to do it while I take a nap.
Actually he was asking about a setting calculation.

Lee
Old 11-22-2020, 10:02 PM
KiddVolq

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This really is a good subject that reappears from time to time here as well as on other forums. Although, sometimes I think that someone makes some popcorn, restarts this subject and quietly backs away, to watch as people make their arguments on every detail of the 52 different sides of the subject.

This is kinda what I ment when I said that, if you dig there are nuggets of knowledge gold to be found. Some have tremendous equipment, great ammo and time in professional ammo research tunnels. Others, have decades of grassroots trial and error. Some bring science and gunsmithing expertise. Some just try to learn from others.

This is a great forum and barrel tuning, especially with imperfect 22lr ammo, is a fun challenge.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:14 AM
linekin

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddVolq View Post
This really is a good subject that reappears from time to time here as well as on other forums. Although, sometimes I think that someone makes some popcorn, restarts this subject and quietly backs away, to watch as people make their arguments on every detail of the 52 different sides of the subject.
Correct Whenever I see threads like these I say
Ah yes, another fireside tuner chat.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:37 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
The Purdy system tunes the hole not the donut. It is based on the air column inside the barrel not the steel. A .750" barrel tunes the same as one 1.25" the same length.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:03 AM
jfleisc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
The Purdy system tunes the hole not the donut. It is based on the air column inside the barrel not the steel. A .750" barrel tunes the same as one 1.25" the same length.
Very well put. I remember actually talking (actually email) to Tony Purdy about the correction factor in the equation (if the outer tuner tube is 1/4" out past the inner tube then use acoustical length, etc) which could put you in a length "loop" so to speak. He agreed and I asked about simply spacing the entire tuner out to stay within the 1/4" and he said that would work. It did.
The bottom line is that when I think about all the expensive match grade ammo I wasted before, trying to tune, I could have spent the money on several months worth of "match grade" Canadian whiskey which beats shooting any day.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (40)
Quote:
Very well put. I remember actually talking (actually email) to Tony Purdy about the correction factor in the equation (if the outer tuner tube is 1/4" out past the inner tube then use acoustical length, etc) which could put you in a length "loop" so to speak. He agreed and I asked about simply spacing the entire tuner out to stay within the 1/4" and he said that would work. It did.
The bottom line is that when I think about all the expensive match grade ammo I wasted before, trying to tune, I could have spent the money on several months worth of "match grade" Canadian whiskey which beats shooting any day.
Makes sense now