Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Mueller 40x

47K views 150 replies 60 participants last post by  FritzFulton 
#1 ·
So, who's going to be the first to try the new Mueller 40x56mm on a CZ? It's a huge scope, but looks like an affordable target br scope alternative. They have them listed on their website on special for $259 including covers, sunshade, and a removable larger side focus wheel. 1/8 moa turrets with caps, fine reticle with 1/8 moa dot, 30mm tube. It's suppose to be available starting today. Question for you all, is a 17" long scope with 56mm objective too big for a CZ American? Heck with the sunshade it will be nearly as long as the barrel....:eek:

http://muelleroptics.com/products/mueller-40x56-side-focus-target-dot/

#123 · (Edited)
After trying to order one of these for some time without any joy due to Mueller not wanting to ship internationally its taken till now to be able to place and order with a mainstream retailer. I placed the order this morning with Optics Planet. Same price fortunately just a bit more expensive to ship here and a bit of an exchange rate cost addition.
I'm looking forward to getting it and running it through its paces. It won't be my main bench rest scope but if it works out to be a good unit for our need it will finish up on a club owned rifle and it would be a plan to fit up 2 more for the other club rifles

I will report back what we think of it down the track a bit. Given we are familiar with Weaver T36's a Vortex Golden eagle, Leopold comp and March comp scopes we should be able to understand its strengths and weaknesses.

#126 ·
Mueller 40X

Just received mine a few weeks ago and have had 3 trips to the range so far.All shooting was done with it mounted on a Ruger 10/22 with a Fajen silhouette stock and a heavy Green mountain barrel;
The scope is very impressive with the big 56MM objective lens and the optional sunshade attached. Eye relief is very critical requiring the shooter to make a deliberate effort to get the the full field of view. Parallax adjustment is easy and I didn't find it necessary to attach the large parallax wheel that comes with the scope. The wheel is easily attached with a built in clamp secured with an allen head screw. Lens quality is what should be expected with a scope in this price range. The target was clearly visible (target being the ABA 50 yd 25 bull target) But I did feel the there was not all the clarity I would want. That could be also my old eyes. The reticle is a very fine dot with crosshairs which can be hard to see in low light. Others at the range who looked through the scope had mixed feelings on the reticle as seen. I don't think there are any options at this time for different reticles.
Weight was not a problem but then I'm shooting off a rest so it was incidental. Windage and elevation adjustments were positive and crisp in my scope. Shooting unsupported would be an issues especially with the 40X magnification.
Overall I'm pleased with the scope so far and will continue the use it and see how it holds up. It's a good scope for the money but don't expect the same level of optical clarity you would find in scopes of the $1000 + range.

#127 · (Edited)
Pleased to receive my Mueller 40x scope after the international shipping which went smoothly taking about 2 weeks.

Bearing in mind I had ordered this scope with the hope that they would be good enough to fit up to 2 of our club rifles for new members of our club who hadn't moved up to their own equipment yet and those trying out benchrest shooting.

Recognising I have purchased a lower end price bracket purpose built Target scope my expectations were mixed between the very positive reviews I have read and what a low dollar outlay generally delivers.
I think I am realistic in my understanding of whats require from a Target Scope for Rimfire Benchrest having owned and used various scopes for benchrest over the last 8-9 years not to mention 40+ years of field shooting.
These scope brands have included a Weaver T36, Vortex, Zeiss, Bushnell, Nikko-stirling and March optics.

I gave it a thorough look over and was very impressed with what I saw.
So here's my thoughts.

I am impressed with the build quality and overall fit and finish. All the adjustments are sharp and smooth. Its a little bigger than I expected with 56 mm of front lens and it certainly lets in plenty of light.
The cross hairs are very fine indeed and perfect for the 20m, 50m and 90m that I compete at. All the targets we shoot are white targets with black rings. The centre mil dot is small but an ideal size.

I fitted it onto my Anschutz 2013 bench rifle which usually wears a March 36-55 x 52 so the mounts suited perfectly to give it its first hit out at the range.

Once I had the levels right and all set up on the rests I sharpened the cross hairs for parallax then set the focus using the larger wheel supplied. The rifle is very accurate an ideal platform to assess a scopes abilities. I gave the windage and elevation a work out getting it on target quickly and although I never gave the turrets a full work out regarding returning to POA the clicks were responsive and accurate to changes made reflecting the 1/8 measure.

The clarity of this scope was exceptional. I can confidently say that the clarity compared to my experience with the Weaver T36 I had owned, its sharper, brighter and I dare to say crisper. ,
Once on target I shot a couple of cards which went very well. I needed to do a little fine tuning to get my point of aim right and the adjustments were spot on for both height and side adjustment. 1/8 is ideal to avoid the need to aim off IMO

It is only early days but at this stage I am really impressed and over the next month or so hope to stretch out over longer distances in various light conditions as my test was done at night with a well lit targets from fluro tube lighting.

I found
the eye relief no problems.

I think this scope is a very good value scope ideal for those not wanting to spend big dollars and those starting out. Any change to my finding will be re updated here if the case occurs.

#130 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new here to this forum and come from the airgun world myself. Logged in to read this thread as I'm debating a used Weaver T36 vs. a Mueller 40X. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Mueller scope to bridge the gap between when I can fund either a Sightron or Nightforce 12-42 BR scope (to sit atop my RAW BM500).

Vicfox: I did briefly own an Anschutz 2013 BR-50 back in the day-I would love to see a photo of your gun with this scope attached (or several photos for me to drool over, LOL)!

Thanks to you all for sharing your insights and experiences-I really appreciate the feedback even though I'm not really a contributor here on this forum.

Sean

#132 ·
Some thoughts on my new Mueller 40X56mm Objective scope. Holy Cow! This was my first impression. When you open the box, the 30mm tube and the 56mm Objective lens takes you back, as to the size. Although I should not have been so surprised, as I have the Mueller 8X32 Target. I searched the net looking for information on the 40X, and came to this site. So far, all reports seem to be positive enough. First off, I'm not a rim fire target shooter, but a short range, (100 to 300 yard) CF target and varmint shooter. My 8X32 Mueller is set up on a 22-250, sleeved Remington 700 action, single shot conversion with a Krieger 1-14 twist barrel, and Kelby bench rest stock. This new Mueller 40X is on another sleeved Remington 700 action, single shot conversion, chambered in .222 with a Shilen 1-14 twist barrel, aluminum I-beam stock, set up for informal bench rest shooting on a home target range. At first I used the .222 with the 8X32, and that worked fine. I then saw the 40X offered and just had to have it. All I can say is NICE. I have set this up on the range and find the 56mm objective to be a real advantage to gather light. The target dot crosshairs are ideal for my application and this makes a fantastic combination for precise target shooting. One thing of concern was the listed weight. The specifications on the Mueller 40X states that it weighs 23 oz. My scale says its weighs 26.05 oz without the turret caps on. This extra 3 oz is puzzling and concerning. Another puzzle is the specifications for the Mueller 8X32 are 26.0 oz and my scale has it at 23.20 oz, Puzzling indeed! The overall fit and finish on the 40X is fantastic. The turrets were a little stiff to operate when first received, but after the scope acclimated to the shop temp, then working them up/down, they work fine now. Nothing new to report on the function of the scope, as it functions as expected without a hitch. Having used the Leupold 36X scopes in the past, this scope did everything asked of it, as long as I did my part. Overall, it's the best bang for the buck! DAN

[/URL][/IMG]

#133 ·
Nearly 18 months down the track since our benchrest club employed a 40x on a club rifle for club use.

That rifle scope comb is the go to popular rifle and with all the difference shooters making their personal adjustments week in week out its given the Mueller 40x a extensive workout.
Happy to report no issues and never an issue getting it to suit all eye types when it comes to focas and clarity.

#134 ·
Realize this is an older thread, but....

I'm wondering about the size of the dot on the Mueller 40x. Specs/website say 1/8 target dot like the Sightron & T36, but the website picture does not really show the dot clearly, and looks very small or almost not there. I have a Sightron SII 36x with dot, and don't really care for that dot recticle (seems to hide the center bull on ARA/ABRA targets to me) and really like the Weaver 36x with NO dot.

Can anyone give me your opinion on whether the Mueller dot is the same as the Sightron dot, or is it smaller, etc. I have no first hand experience with a weaver dot recticle, just the Sightron one, so.

#136 ·
I have been using the 40x Mueller on a CZ 452 Trainer in Factory class BR for about a year now and I love it. I have had zero issues with it and it is very consistent repeatability. That being said, a friend of mine bought one after shooting some targets with my rifle and it was a dud from the get go, so he sent it back. He said it was not clear and the reticle moved,(tilted). I have had no such issues with mine.

#137 ·
mueller 40x56

well i put the new 40x56 on a 52c coupla days ago i really like it 50 yrds can groupem bout on top each other but any 52 with a good barrel will do that no sup there ill get out this wkend go for 100 200 might be able to tell more about it parallax seems to be on turrets kinda feel funny came with tools so maybe they can be adj more poss click im 65 i like that skinny crosshair with dot clear to me $270 no complaint here cant compare to others all ever had was them cheapo 3x9s

#142 ·
well i put the new 40x56 on a 52c coupla days ago i really like it 50 yrds can groupem bout on top each other but any 52 with a good barrel will do that no sup there ill get out this wkend go for 100 200 might be able to tell more about it parallax seems to be on turrets kinda feel funny came with tools so maybe they can be adj more poss click im 65 i like that skinny crosshair with dot clear to me $270 no complaint here cant compare to others all ever had was them cheapo 3x9s
Noisy2 how did you mount this scope on a 52C ?

#141 ·
rings

Toomany22s,

I bought a pair of those for a quck height trial when going to 30mm from 1" on another rifle. They looked nice, but I could not get them both level.

SavagePlinker,

I am assuming you are using the Burris rings on a 452 trainer? I would like to use Burris. If I use the JP Weaver adaptor, what height do I need to clear the barrel, and rear sight?

Soonerbob,

Haven't heard from you yet.

Thanks all,

Gerry

#146 ·
Just a pic of the 40x reticule showing the fine cross hairs and small mill dot Which is just perfect for benchrest target application.

ALL COMPLEMENTED BY THE 1/8 TURRET ADJUSTMENTS

I'm still thrilled with this scope for just how good it is.
I don't think that is a mil dot. The description on the Meuller website calls it a 1/8" (1/8 second of angle) dot, which is about 0.0006 milliradian. Of course, In common usage, mildots can be any size; it is the distance between two adjacent dots' centers that equals a milliradian, or mil, for short. Since there is only one dot in this reticule, there is no measuring mils. I think a more correct term would be target dot.

I am writing this not to belittle anyone or be a smart aleck, but while most everyone on this forum would know what the OP meant, it is my considered belief that we, as gun owners, should attempt to be as accurate as we can be in all facets of life. And especially at the range. :D And in communication after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.