Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

I'm glad we had Indy

25K views 63 replies 57 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 ·
Without Dan's hard work and devotion, RFC would not have survived the original transition so many years ago...
I didn't know him, but I know my world is better for Indy having shared himself with us. The knowledge I have gained through RFC has made my shooting much more enjoyable than it would be if I had struggled through without the help of the friends I have met here. Thanks, Indy, and thanks to the rest of the staff at RFC.

My prayers go out to those Indy leaves behind.

#30 ·
For once I'm at a loss for words.
Indy was always calm, collected, and a well spoken man in our exchanges.
Life got in the way of my being on here much the past 3 years, now I'm just depressed as hell at all the friends lost from this great site.
Dan, your missed sir.
Godspeed,
warren

#32 ·
Indy's birthday would have been yesterday, not knowing he had passed I started a thread of birthday congratulations to him, makes me feel a bit foolish but he was a good man and, as said, a Godsend to this place. Happy Birthday Indy anyway, I pray for your rest and your families comfort. Thanks for all you did for all of us.

#33 ·
Dan will be greatly missed. :(

I have changed my avatar several times since being at RFC. Dan sent me a little message when he noticed my current one.

Indy said:
I just wanted to take a moment to let you know that I really like your custom icon, Bible on the flag. Excellent!!

Thanks,
Dan (Indy)
I hadn't planned on changing it and now with Dan's passing I find it even more special.

Brent

#37 ·
Wow... just wow. :( I was sure that he'd bounce back from this and be with us for years to come. I have prayed for comfort and healing for him and his family; guess that I should have been a little more specific about the fact that we were still hoping to have him with us on the board! ;)

Seriously, R.I.P. Dan; sometimes this is the only way that relief from our problems in this life can be granted. Godspeed, and from those of us that remain... we salute you! :F

:snipersmi

#39 ·
Prayers to Indy's family for thier loss,

My Thanks to Indy for this place

He's created a community with the Admins and the folks here

one thats pretty level headed

patriotic in the right way

and close knit, like a off duty bunker (for those that know what i mean)

a great bunch of gun nuts all round

all communicating, all helpin where they can

Not a bad legacy...

Thanks Indy

we'll catch up one day

Cheers to you Indy

#41 ·
R.i.p. Indy

First of all I would like to thank Sophia for starting this thread. That is noble, and appropriate. Secondly, I would want to express my condolences to the family of Dan Miller. You are in my prayers, and my thoughts. We here at Rimfire Central, cannot thank you enough, for sharing 'Indy' with us.

This poem was inspired by the loss of my friend, 'Indy' ..and altho not written 'to' him, was written on the day that I learned of his passing, and so I hereby dedicate it, to his memory.......

"At Least, I Said It"

Confusion tonight, or maybe contemplation-
because I lost a humble friend today,
He did not leave, nor say 'good-bye'-
but he's still gone the same, and all
that's left with me are memories of my dear friend.
And I remain....

And it made me stop and wonder, you know-
about life's brevity and how
we never really know, at all-
If there's a given time, when
eternity will up and call, or
who will go and who will stay....

And when the time is come-
when there's no more time, no stars
or moon or sun-
Who will remain? Be left behind?
What will be left, and
what be left, undone?

Then, like a new and splendid sunrise-
It came to me, as in a dream,
like 'light' I'd never really seen-
And now I know, what I must do-
what I must say, while there is time
and I'm still here with you....

We may not be in one same place-
I can see your eyes again,
but cannot touch your face-
So now.... I say, "I love you".
At least now you know; and I know I
shall not regret it....

And if eternity comes today-
if one be gone, and one should stay
we'll know at least, I said it....

* copyright July, 2009 Lee McFarland

#42 ·
I can tell folks one thing about Indy. He never complained about his own problems. We communicated several times over the years, some of it over the disputes I was involved in here at RFC. He was gracious enough to accept my apologies after I was proven wrong. We talked about our families a bit, and I found out that his wife is diabetic, as mine is. He was very worried about his wife's health and cautioned me to help my wife watch out for hers. He never once mentioned that he was also suffering from cancer that could be fatal. If I had known, I would never have bothered him with some communications that were assuredly insignificant in the greater scheme of things. Goodbye friend. :(

#43 ·
Phil it strikes me that Dan always seemed to be the voice of reason, quiet resolve.

While I did not communicate with him much it was with quality. Out of the blue I would get a note that simply said "thanks for that" or "I like that" or "Have you considered"

He said more with fewer words than anyone I can think of.

I would like to say "I can not believe he is gone" but after the last 6-9 months I can believe it all too well. We have lost so many of the really good and interesting people. The people that I learned so much from.

It makes me jealous to want to share any moment I can with my RFC mentors. To not waste time in the stupid stuff. I turned 57 last month and am not in the best shape (fine for now ....) but it is becoming obvious that I have far fewer days ahead of me than behind me and it is that point in your life that things start to attain a crystal clarity.

It is this point when my remaining friends become SO important.

#44 ·
Another stunner. Another friend taken too young. This has been a tough year God... enough is enough, OK!?

Indy is at the top of the list when it comes to people who engaged me when I first joined. A calm voice of reason and a tireless behind the scenes worker. Without him and a few others, the 1000's of us RFCers would not have this site at all!

Let me not be the last to cheer...

Hooray for Indy! :yippee:

Rest in Peace my brother

#47 ·
I do not visit RFC like I once did but I check in every now and then. I read Indy's anouncement about his illness a bit ago and I now am sure sorry to hear this news. Indy had a huge part in the success of RFC and he will be missed.

Al

#51 ·
Wow, Why is it everytime I look out of the forums I usually read I find bad news. I am very sadened to hear of Indy's passing. My family has also gone through some rough times recently with the passing of my father in law at 55 and my brother in law at 50. All I can say is only the good die young. My grandmother at age 92 always says to me "don't get old". RIP Dan.

#52 ·
I just found out about this! I didn't know Indy well but still hate to hear about it. It saddens me to see that some that so many people looked up to and appreciated has passed, yet I am glad he is no longer suffering. RIP Indy.

Can anyone update us on how his wife is doing and if there is anything that we might be able to do to help her out? Like donations for doctor bills and what not.

#55 ·
I am deeply saddened by this, having great communications with Dan over the 4 years that I was Administrator here. Boy, come back after a 2 year hiatus, and all is sadness. :(

Cheers, Dan. We'll all miss you. *sob*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.