Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:03 PM
BLUElixir
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Switch Barrel Savage MKII/93!!!

I wanted to show you guys the project that I have going right now. Previously I rebarreled a .22lr MKII F with a 10/22 Tactical Solutions barrel. Its one of my favorite guns now! Lately I've been thinking, instead of turning the 10/22 barrel shank longer, why not cut the receiver back to fit the standard 10/22 barrel shank? Then that led into the thought of a switch-barrel MKII! The ability to easily swap different 10/22 barrels on the Savage action should be fun. On Tuesday I bought a new Savage MKII F "Walmart Special" for $138 tax included. I shot it in the stock configuration to base line it. Here is a one paragraph mini review of the stock MKII:

***The gun is a quality piece for such little money. The trigger is manageable but I did feel that it limited the accuracy some. I shot some groups but didn't do an exhaustive test. I shot three groups of bulk Federal Automatch and it grouped 3/4"- 1 1/8". I only shot one group each of Rem/Eley Club Extra, Rem/Eley Target Rifle, Rem T-22, Wolf MT, Winchester Xpert 22 Hollow point bulk, and Federal 550 bulk. The Wolf MT gave a 11/16th inch group. I feel like this gun will shoot 1.5"-2" groups with cheap bulk ammo, around an inch with Federal Automatch, and slightly under an inch with match ammo. Again, this wasn't an exhaustive test. I was just baselining the gun before starting the modifications. These were all 5 shot groups, at 50 yards, off of a bipod with no rear rest (except my hand). I used an Intensity 6.5-20 scope. I felt like this was pretty darn good accuracy for a rifle in this price range!

Back to the project. This is a e-receiver gun and the first one that I have ever worked with. Taking the barrel out of this gun was much easier than the other two that I have done. The barrel is pinned in with two pins. The front roll pin also holds the front pillar/hold-down in place. You have to take this roll pin out to take the front pillar off. The rear pin is solid. After I got both pins out the barrel came out by hand. I could also put it back in easily.

After a day or so of thinking and measuring, I finally got to the shop. I first fit a Green Mountain 10/22 barrel to the savage receiver diameter. Then I chopped off about .4" from the front of the receiver with a grinder with a cut off wheel. As you can see, this was an ugly cut but when you slide the 10/22 barrel into the receiver, you can easily determine where the high and lows spots are on the receiver. I squared up the barrel shoulder with the grinder and a flap style grinding wheel. Those wheels remove material very fast. I was getting closer to the final length that was needed so I switched to a wide metal file. When I was getting really close (about .030") to the final dimension, I started using 400 grit sand paper on a flat surface. The final fitting was done with Go/NoGo gauges and alot of trial fitting. I would have much rather have used a lathe for this part of the project but it actually turned out excellent!

This morning I started building the barrel hold down block. I want to use the same method to retain the barrels as a stock 10/22. It progressed fairly slowly this morning but I was able to get the general shape cut. I need to fine tune it some more and drill/tap for the v-block bolts. The picture of just the block is an in-progress picture. Its not done being shaped.

The one cool thing about this project is that I think I will be able to run .17hmr and .22mag in this with just a barrel and magazine switch! The bolt face on this gun fits a .22mag case so I think it will be possible! That will make it able to handle all four mainstream rimfire rounds. I haven't thought about how to use the .22lr/.17hm2 and .22mag/.17hmr magazines yet but I should be able to figure something out.

I'll be back soon to update this and add more information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6628 (Medium).jpg (47.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6635 (Medium).jpg (45.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6636 (Medium).jpg (49.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6646 (Medium).jpg (51.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6648 (Medium).jpg (47.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by BLUElixir; 12-24-2019 at 11:58 AM. Reason: clarification, add pictures
Old 11-14-2009, 09:12 PM
oltmann

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think this is a great idea. I hope the rest of the pieces fall into place easily for ya. Are you planning to weld the barrel holddown block to the receiver?

I'm also working on a mkII barrel replacement. With your previous experience using the 'glue together' method, do you think there is a enough bearing surface to secure the barrel with loctite if the receiver has been cut down to the 10/22 length?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:33 PM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Thank you Oltman! I don't really have any experience gluing in a barrel with just the 10/22 length barrel tennon. I'd hate to tell you that it will work and then it fail..... I'm just not sure. Sorry man.

I worked some more on the project today. I shaped the barrel hold down block some more and drilled and tapped it for the V block bolts. The block fabrication was not as precise as I would have like but it turned out pretty good. I really wish that I could have made this part on a mill! The barrel hold down block mounts in the location where the front pillar/hold down used to be. That hold down also used to secure the front of the magazine well so I had to figure out something new to do that job. I cut the front mounting hole off of the mag well and formed it into a small flat tab. The tab slips into a slot that is between the barrel hold down block and the receiver. The rear of the mag well mounts normally. Anyway, I tack-welded the barrel hold down block onto the receiver so that I could test fit. Everything fits well! I still need to cut the second extractor groove in these barrels, finish the welding, etc. but the project is going pretty well! Here are some picts of three different barrels installed. I checked the headspace with go/nogo gauges and it is still where it is supposed to be.

Tactical Solutions SB-X barrel installed.

Green Mountain 16" threaded fluted sporter barrel installed.

Green Mountain 16" threaded fluted bull barrel installed.

Action with a barrel installed:

Action without a barrel:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6688 (Medium).jpg (102.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6691 (Medium).jpg (86.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6693 (Medium).jpg (86.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6696 (Medium).jpg (104.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6698 (Medium).jpg (94.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by BLUElixir; 12-24-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 03:30 PM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Heres a little update. I did a quick and dirty stock inletting job on the MKII-F stock so that I can use it as a test stock for this project. I had to remove material at the front of the action to allow the barrel hold down block to fit. Then I used a 1" Gunline barrel bedding tool to enlarge the forend for the bull barrels. This tool is really great.... If you need to enlarge a barrel channel, I recommend that you buy this tool.

It hasn't been shot yet but it should be soon. I just need to cut the second extractor groove in these barrels and then put the bolt back together. I assembled the gun with the TacSol SB-X barrel and new Rimfire Technologies scope rail for some quick pictures:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6940medium.jpg (123.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6942medium.jpg (118.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6946medium.jpg (122.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6949medium.jpg (106.5 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by BLUElixir; 12-24-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:38 PM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
More progress! Monday night I filed the second extractor groove in the TacSol SB-X barrel, reassembled the bolt, and fired a magazine! It was nice to have it shooting again.

Thursday I cut the extractor grooves in the Green Mountain 16" sporter and bull barrels. I test fired a magazine worth in each of them. Today I took the gun to our range and shot 75-100 rounds through it with the GM bull barrel. No feeding or extraction problems! I don't have a scope or sights on the gun yet so no accuracy figures. I'm interested to see what the point of impact changes will be like between the barrels that I have on hand.

Here are a couple of shots. The first one is of the GM sporter. The GM bull barrel is the bottom picture:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7002 (Medium).jpg (276.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7010 (Medium).jpg (269.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by BLUElixir; 12-24-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
akfreak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sweet! I wish I had the gumption to do that with mine.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:45 PM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Thanks AK! I bought this gun with the intention of using it for this project so I knew its fate from the start. One cool thing about the project is that it starts with the least expensive Savage model and I used 10/22 barrels that I already owned. Sometime I will upgrade the stock but so far its a pretty inexpensive project.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 PM
calixt0

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like this alot... I may try it on my mkII... I have a few questions though what exactly are you using to cut the extractor groves?
Old 05-14-2010, 01:48 PM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
In the past I have used a small grinding wheel in a Dremel on aluminum barrels (Tac-Sol, Whistle Pig, etc.). That worked well because the dremel is small and the bit is small. The steel barrels I think I used a cut off wheel in a small air-grinder. The smaller the tool the better I think because you have more control of the tool. Its another job that requires patience but is not to difficult. You don't want to cut into the chamber. There is probably a better way to do this. If you figure one out, let me know.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:27 PM
teneyedoc
US Navy Veteran Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
There is another thread here where someone used a file to cut new extractor grooves.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 AM
bigstump56
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BlUElixir just curious how that front pillar came off and what you plan on doing to bolt the stock down since its gone?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:08 AM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Bigstump, the pillars on the E-Receiver guns unscrew with an allen wrench. The exception is the front pillar which won't unscrew unless you remove the front barrel pin (which on my gun was a roll pin, not solid).

If I end up needing/wanting a front pillar, I will drill and tap the barrel hold down block that I added. I should be able to make the new hole line up with the old location in the stock.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:00 AM
bigstump56
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My gun is a non-e. Is is still possible to make the v block work? And do you know how to get that front pillar off on it?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 AM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Yes the change barrel system should still work on a old style receiver. I'm currently in the middle of doing a Savage Striker pistol this way. All of the MKIIs/93s that I have seen have pillars that unscrew with an allen key or a screw driver. Will yours not come out?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:04 PM
fgials

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Man this is AWESOME!!!!