Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:24 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 TD Barrel

Hi,

I recently purchased a Ruger 10/22 Takedown. I've been looking at the VQ 10/22 Takedown Barrel with the cantilever scope mount.

I can't quite get my head around that configuration. I currently have a scope mounted on my 10/22 and I just don't see how there is enough rail-length on the VQ Cantilever to move my scope to that mount without compromising my eye relief.

There must be basic rules of the thumb to give guidance here. Any ideas on how I can begin to map this out without having to risk buying the barrel.

I'm using a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 x 32.

Thanks,
Roger
Old 12-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
There may be other methods but here is what I would do. Put the gun in a rest and set the scope to 7x . Then unattached the scope at the ring bases/ rail . Now holding the scope so it doesn't fall, slide it forward (while looking through it) until you lose acceptable clarity/sight picture. Note/mark where the objective lens and rings end up in relation to the top of the receiver/barrel. Now you can compare the max distance the scope can be mounted as compared to (pictures) of the cantilevered barrel set-up. If the rings don't look like they will sit on the new barrel where they should, you might need to look at moving the scope within the rings or getting new cantilevered rings.

All that said, these barrels have been around a while and I've read no complaints with scope eye relief. Volquartsen is a class act and has great customer service. I'd try contacting them if you have any concern. Even emails to their CS are usually answered within hours.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:32 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Mueller APT Tactical 4.5-14x40 AO, 30 mm tube mounted on my Volquartsen takedown barrel cantalever. No problems with eye relief
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2018, 11:56 AM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
There may be other methods but here is what I would do. Put the gun in a rest and set the scope to 7x . Then unattached the scope at the ring bases/ rail . Now holding the scope so it doesn't fall, slide it forward (while looking through it) until you lose acceptable clarity/sight picture. Note/mark where the objective lens and rings end up in relation to the top of the receiver/barrel. Now you can compare the max distance the scope can be mounted as compared to (pictures) of the cantilevered barrel set-up. If the rings don't look like they will sit on the new barrel where they should, you might need to look at moving the scope within the rings or getting new cantilevered rings.

All that said, these barrels have been around a while and I've read no complaints with scope eye relief. Volquartsen is a class act and has great customer service. I'd try contacting them if you have any concern. Even emails to their CS are usually answered within hours.
Tacoma; thanks for the great narrative. That helps considerably. I've tried just counting "ribs" on the rails but the photos don't really give me a reliable starting point on the receiver. However the obvious call to VQ and some conversation there will likely solve everything.... duh I'll give it a go on Monday.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:59 AM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
I have a Mueller APT Tactical 4.5-14x40 AO, 30 mm tube mounted on my Volquartsen takedown barrel cantalever. No problems with eye relief
DGF, I appreciate the response and detail. With that 14x scope you should be able to pinpoint things at sizable downrange distances. Do you ever have problems with maintaining zero on the TD. The cantilever should remove most degrees of freedom on that sight alignment, is that your experience?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:35 AM
smitty010203

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the VQ takedown barrel on my 10/22 and it is as accurate as any 10/22 I have ever put it up against, including my wifes ltwt volquartsen. I dont take mine apart barely ever cause I dont really need to however being that the scope is mounted to the barrel it isn't a big deal. Currently I have a Nightforce 5-20x56 SHV on it.

The one thing about the takedown models is this... if you apply any force to the gun while shooting a group that differs from the force applied in other shots, it will mess up your groups. Now I am talking about trying to shoot a dime sized group at 50 yard (which mine does consistently shooting with a bipod and rear bag).

So if you fire 3 shots, then for whatever reason reconfigure your body or load the bipod more, it will chance the poi ever so slightly. When I am trying to shoot my best groups I will barely apply any pressure to the gun and wont move AT ALL during that shot group.

And to the original question.... You wont have any problems with eye relief. You may have to mount the scope further back in the rings than normal, but that's all.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:29 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDplinker View Post
DGF, I appreciate the response and detail. With that 14x scope you should be able to pinpoint things at sizable downrange distances. Do you ever have problems with maintaining zero on the TD. The cantilever should remove most degrees of freedom on that sight alignment, is that your experience?
Everything is tight. I notice no change other than the nut behind the trigger not being as sharp as he should be
Old 12-10-2018, 01:26 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty010203 View Post
I have the VQ takedown barrel on my 10/22 and it is as accurate as any 10/22 I have ever put it up against, including my wifes ltwt volquartsen. I dont take mine apart barely ever cause I dont really need to however being that the scope is mounted to the barrel it isn't a big deal. Currently I have a Nightforce 5-20x56 SHV on it.

The one thing about the takedown models is this... if you apply any force to the gun while shooting a group that differs from the force applied in other shots, it will mess up your groups. Now I am talking about trying to shoot a dime sized group at 50 yard (which mine does consistently shooting with a bipod and rear bag).

So if you fire 3 shots, then for whatever reason reconfigure your body or load the bipod more, it will chance the poi ever so slightly. When I am trying to shoot my best groups I will barely apply any pressure to the gun and wont move AT ALL during that shot group.

And to the original question.... You wont have any problems with eye relief. You may have to mount the scope further back in the rings than normal, but that's all.
Thanks Smitty. I'm really encouraged by what I'm reading here and additionally your response to this question.

I have some action polishing to do, and after the New Year, I'll be back in the shooting saddle again and give this a good work out.

Roger
Old 12-10-2018, 07:04 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Be prepared to change the trigger and possibly the bolt. A good barrel needs good mechanics
Old 12-11-2018, 07:00 AM
smitty010203

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have used a Volquartsen TG-2000 for long time and recently dropped a Kidd 2 stage in my takedown and yea, if you are going to go through the trouble of putting a higher end takedown barrel on the gun you might as well plan on putting in a better trigger too. As for the bolt, eh, I am still using the factory bolt and seriously my gun is dirty accurate for a takedown gun. I've honestly never even thought about trying a VQ bolt or something like that though, I might have to look into that some.

Also for what its worth to the OP, CCI standard Velocity, and Federal Gold medal ultra match (soon to be discontinued apparently) both shoot the best for me. I tried Eley Tenex and it wasn't any better for me. I will add though... When bouncing around between different ammo, on my gun at least, I have to run about 10-20 rounds through the barrel before that particular ammo settles back in.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:41 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Modifications I used .
Kidd 2 stage trigger system( I have more than 1 10/22 so I could switch) left in gun,money well spent
Volquartsen competition bolt, just seems to work better
“Scratchbrite” the interior of the receiver
SK basic seems to work best for my pocketbook
Old 01-05-2019, 12:56 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you everyone, I'm still working on my rifle and technique with this gun. I've found I have a lot to test/learn on just the take-down barrel tension and breakdown/cleaning frequency. It's all fun and I'm under no pressure to move up a time table.

I've done a reset and made the operation precision my "target" right now - ragged holes are coming as a result.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:26 AM
Skeetnowrimfire
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am very happy with the VQ TD barrel (so happy I bought a 2nd)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D49AD0DF-C954-4799-87B1-88652BEF8D57.jpg (515.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 54FBCF5A-00AE-4136-9745-F0B532EA9184.jpg (504.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg C34DFB9E-28A6-4457-B595-4FD3DFD729CC.jpg (503.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-02-2019, 10:38 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scout scope or red dot . You wont get enough eye relief with a regular scope and have to jack your head forward . Some people do this naturally, some do not.also how you shoot is a big factor , off the bench your heads way back, free hand head farther forward . Scout Scope. Or red dot,
Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 PM
WillR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Leupold Scout 2.5x28 is my preferred optic on the TD cantilever carbon fiber tensioned barrel. Originally, a Trijicon RMR type 2 in 3.25MOA was awesome, then I moved to a 1.0 MOA but no advantage was seen on paper. I also ran a Nikon Monarch 2x7-33 for a while. The eye relief was fine but a 12” scope really hangs exposed when taken down and folded (X-22 backpack stock). It just barely fit in Ruger carrying case.

Try the Scout scope. It fits the intent and purpose of the TD perfectly.