Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:28 AM
ggruber

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomto View Post
I have a new Mark IV Target and the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit for the Ruger MK IV Pistol. Should I break in the pistol with 500 or so rounds before installing the kit or can I just do it now?
There is nothing to break in before substituting parts.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:07 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggruber View Post
There is nothing to break in before substituting parts.
Maybe it's more like a shakedown cruise. If a new pistol needs to go back to Ruger, better to do it before making mods.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I think I shot a box of CCI-Mini Mags to confirm function, and then went to town. I've gotten very used to the break of the VQ trigger/sear combo. Everything has functioned well for me.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomto View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will take the new kid to the range at least a couple of times before changing some internals.
TT,

IMO, you're on the right track! Although you may be dropping in Action AM parts in the future, still a very important reason for putting in a couple or so good range days first with your new MkIV is validating overall function and fit of all OEM parts as-is! This will include some break-in for bolt/receiver tolerances and main and return spring sets!

Then, comparing the out-of-box performance/feel/handling with the future lighter trigger pull/minimum travel/crisp break will become an Eye Opener!!

Ted

Last edited by Theo98; 03-08-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:41 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Then, comparing the out-of-box performance/feel/handling with the future lighter trigger pull/minimum travel/crisp break will become an Eye Opener!!

Ted

That is FOR SURE. Totally new appreciation for what you just did.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:58 PM
cougar1717

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In a new MKIV for which you already have VQ internals in possession, what needs to get broken in? The frame? The barrel? The bolt assembly? The mainspring? The safety selectors? The bolt stop?

The VQ kit replaces almost every lower part that has a bearing surface except the mainspring plunger and the pins.

Sure, it is easy to simply recommend X number of rounds to make you sleep well at night and ensure that you don't immediately have to send it back to Ruger. Protection from the possibility of a lemon gun is literally the only reason to waste good ammo breaking in a mediocre factory trigger.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:09 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1717 View Post
Protection from the possibility of a lemon gun is literally the only reason to waste good ammo breaking in a mediocre factory trigger.
That's a completely valid reason.