Getting your mags to drop freely - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:57 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Before I would do anything to a gun or mags like that the whole mess would be shipped back to the manufacture. A little note attached you built it now figure out were you messed up and fix it or return my money.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:49 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggruber View Post
Ruger put the helper mechanisms into the pistols to cover their tracks for their inability to properly design the relationship between the mag and the frame. I don't use those parts...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5-TplqUUiU
Old 03-06-2020, 12:03 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggruber
not all mags are in spec. I had 8 out of ten that needed work.
What exactly is the spec? Is it Ruger, SAAMI, or something else? Can you please post a link to it so the rest of us can check our mags to see if they're out of spec too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB51
Before I would do anything to a gun or mags like that the whole mess would be shipped back to the manufacture.
I think that would/will be my approach as well if I find any of mine to be out of spec.

Quote:
How do we define reliability? Over 99% error free shooting. Anything less is unacceptable and we deal with it immediately.
So, your club finds 1 failure in every 100 rounds to be acceptable, but not 2 or more? That seems to be a pretty low standard for guns used in matches and only using "better than average" ammo.

My expectations are a bit higher for my own guns. I think I'm pretty lenient with failures in my MKII. I allow it to have 1 failure every couple thousand rounds (99.95% reliable), but it usually exceeds my expectations by at least double. My MKIII was redesigned to exceed 99.999% reliability (no more than 1/100,000 rounds). I think it's there, but it takes a while to shoot that many rounds. 30k+ no failure rounds so far. Strange thing is I never replace mag springs, recoil springs, and I always clean & lube my mags. Weird huh?

Quote:
Ruger put the helper mechanisms into the pistols to cover their tracks for their inability to properly design the relationship between the mag and the frame
The design of the MKIII mag disconnect was such that it pinched the mag against the front of the mag well and prevented it from dropping free. Volquartsen made a mag ejector to fix the problem, but most people just removed the disconnect safety instead. I think Ruger added the mag ejector to the MKIV because they chose to continue having a mag safety installed. I don't think it's really necessary, but they hedged their bet.

I do agree with you, however, that Ruger still hasn't tightened mag well tolerances adequately to ensure the mags will always sit properly inside.

Quote:
22 ammo is precarious at best.
I read this a lot. Every time someone complains that some type of ammo causes their guns to fail, I go out and buy some to see if it's true. So far, I haven't found anything (stronger than CCI Quiet) that can cause a failure. Do you suppose Remington, Winchester, and others sort their ammo to ensure I, personally never get a "dud"? I doubt it.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I do agree with you, however, that Ruger still hasn't tightened mag well tolerances adequately to ensure the mags will always sit properly inside.
The Mk IV 22/45 frame is injection molded Zytel. Tolerances are so close they are all darn near identical, but mag well clearance is not an issue anyway. Take the mag catch out of the pistol and the base off of the magazine and slide the mag body into the well and see how much clearance there is. It is significant. Two things hold the magazine in place in the magazine well, the magazine catch and the base plate mating up to the bottom of the grip frame.

You mentioned the magazine disconnect safety. Most serious shooters are running the Volquartsen kit, which does away with that part. If the OP still has the disconnect installed, that is what is keeping his magazines from dropping freely, not out of spec magazine bodies.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:03 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Like Theo and Mike, I use dry lube on my mags, and my mags drop free easily.
My mag ejector plunger and spring have been removed, and they still drop free.
No Dremeling necessary.

Sorry ggruber, dry lube doesn't attract dust and dirt, because it's . dry.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:27 AM
ggruber

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Over 99% reliability" does not imply 1 misfire in 100. It implies less. Learn to read and do the math.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:33 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggruber View Post
"Over 99% reliability" does not imply 1 misfire in 100. It implies less. Learn to read and do the math.
No problems with math here. How do you have a fraction of a misfire?