Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:37 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
H&R 65

Took my USMC H&R 65 to the range today. It is not configured as the Marines used them. Not sure when it was modified, but it was a long time ago. Today I was shooting off the bench at 50 yards. I was using CMP Eley bulk box ammo. After I got the POA straightened out the POI was pretty good. I think it not bad for a rifle that is 78 years old and not meant to be a target piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H&RModel65.1.jpg (152.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg H&R65 Target7.12.21.jpg (137.0 KB, 162 views)
Old 07-12-2021, 08:36 PM
dmthomp32

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like a killer 50 yard group! My leatherneck has the peep sights on it, it's a solid shooter for sure. Definitely a heavy rifle!! I love mine and wouldn't sell it. Nice rifle and target.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2021, 09:13 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmthomp32 View Post
Looks like a killer 50 yard group! My leatherneck has the peep sights on it, it's a solid shooter for sure. Definitely a heavy rifle!! I love mine and wouldn't sell it. Nice rifle and target.

Thanks, I actually bought it as a parts piece. It was sitting all rusty and dirty in the local gun shop and I paid $50.00 for it. Once I realized that it was an actual USMC trainer (S/N: 3711), the focus changed.

I have another Model 65 that has the iron sights on it. However, it is not a USMC trainer, by S/N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2021, 09:33 PM
Topos

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had my M65 since 1964 when I got it form a retired relative who in turn got from his brother who served in the Pacific.

It was and is in cherry condition, the wood is polished, barrel rootless. He supplied me with Lyman target sight
and the two (2) original Redfield 70AT-21 sights.
He believed as I in the old maxim "...backup, backup, and [ drum roll ].... backup".
He generously included a 20 round mag, 4 standard mags.

It was also drilled for a scope which he kept.

He had a smith embed his Combat Infantryman Badge
in the side which I still cherish as I remember him and his brother
both who served in the Pacific during WW2.

As above it indeed is heavy supposedly to condition
troops to the Garand's weight.

When I first shot it so long ago at 50 yards I was amazed at its tight group.
Major Dick Culver had a few of them himself, bless his soul., and he
said that mine was in particularly great condition.

Last year I added a target scope on it to shoot it at 100 yards and 200 yards.
One cannot fight nature's deciding that your perfect vision was only on loan to you
for a disgustingly short time.

Side note, his brother also had the 'Rat Rifle' which he said was 'entrusted' to him
by the Corps after the War. I was remiss in not taking measurement of the TPI.
From what I have read over the years it was the standard " x 20 that fit the Maxim .22 can.
If anyone has actual data please supply it.

Best.

Last edited by Topos; 07-12-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:16 AM
dmthomp32

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
Thanks, I actually bought it as a parts piece. It was sitting all rusty and dirty in the local gun shop and I paid $50.00 for it. Once I realized that it was an actual USMC trainer (S/N: 3711), the focus changed.

I have another Model 65 that has the iron sights on it. However, it is not a USMC trainer, by S/N.
That's very interesting, mine was not a marine trainer, it is the civilian model. Truthfully I never see these rifles out in the wild and when I do they are usually really beat up and on their last legs. Granted I've only seen three examples in gun stores, two were terrible and the one I bought was beautiful!

Having a genuine training rifle definitely makes it a worthwhile project!

Old 07-13-2021, 09:31 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
My civilian post-war Leatherneck has only the open/sporting sights and is nice enough that I will not be the one to d/t for a scope that I so badly need to really find a rifles potential. It has been a pleasant surprise with the open rear and frt bead how it seems to hit where its looking while that leisurely semi-auto action is clacking along, even with its horrible heavy trigger.
I like the look of yours with what appears to be a Mossberg M-4 scope. What is on for bases or are those rings combo base and ring?
Old 07-13-2021, 09:35 AM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Yes, it is a Mossberg M-4 4X scope and works well.

No idea who made the bases. Will take and post some close ups of the bases later, The rifle came to me D&T'd and it was done a long time ago from the looks of things.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:04 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
My civilian post-war Leatherneck has only the open/sporting sights and is nice enough that I will not be the one to d/t for a scope that I so badly need to really find a rifles potential. It has been a pleasant surprise with the open rear and frt bead how it seems to hit where its looking while that leisurely semi-auto action is clacking along, even with its horrible heavy trigger.
I like the look of yours with what appears to be a Mossberg M-4 scope. What is on for bases or are those rings combo base and ring?
Here are the bases for the scope. No names on them that I could see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H&RMount.2.jpg (74.7 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg H&RMount.3.jpg (75.1 KB, 135 views)
Old 07-13-2021, 06:50 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
They sure tuck that scope down closer to iron sight height nicely
Anyone able to ID them?
Old 07-13-2021, 06:57 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
They sure tuck that scope down closer to iron sight height nicely
Anyone able to ID them?
It is very comfortable to shoot this way. You will notice there is not a front sight on the rifle. The reason I first noticed it at the gun shop was the fact the front sight was on upside down. It took two of us to get it off, I had a friend that is a machinist make a cap to protect the threads. He also made the scope mounting screws for me as it only had two when I bought it.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:09 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Just saw these in a WW II issue of the American Rifleman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The General H&R.jpg (279.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg H&RLookingAhead.jpg (376.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 01:37 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Think this is Keeper!

The the M65 to the range on Thursday. The target is a 25 Meter Zeroing Target for the M16. The sight picture simulates a 300 Meter sight picture when viewed at 25 meters. I am using it at 50 yards, close enough...... I figure that simulates a 500 - 600 yard target sight picture. I can do better when using my Winchester 52D with irons. However, this rifle was never meant as a target piece. So, I figure it is doing darn well for what it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M65Zeroing Target.jpg (405.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 02:56 PM
dmthomp32

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
The the M65 to the range on Thursday. The target is a 25 Meter Zeroing Target for the M16. The sight picture simulates a 300 Meter sight picture when viewed at 25 meters. I am using it at 50 yards, close enough...... I figure that simulates a 500 - 600 yard target sight picture. I can do better when using my Winchester 52D with irons. However, this rifle was never meant as a target piece. So, I figure it is doing darn well for what it is.

That is consistent with my Leatherneck as well. Not target rifles but great pieces of history and a quality rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk