Midway USA is up to their old tricks. Tried to buy a Vortex viper - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:37 AM
Davcruz
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
AND, they won't let me sign in to buy some match ammo.
And nobody else has any that I can find.

I'm dumping midway usa.
Obviously I have no idea why you cannot sign in, but I just bought 4 different match ammo types at Midway a week ago, they are limiting most of the good stuff to 3 boxes, so be aware. Also, Center X was like $19.99 and over at Midsouth Shooters Supply that have for like $16.99 and no limit that I am aware of. Also, Target Sports USA has Wolf MT for around $10.00.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:48 AM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
Bug, I buy several thousand worth of stuff from midway every year. You can't buy everything there though. What match ammo are you looking for?
Lapua, either Midas or SK. They show it in stock, but, it won't let me sign in.
Maybe I'll try using my wife's name and email.
I hate to do it but I can't find it in stock anywhere else.

Last edited by bugeye; 10-26-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:07 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bug, I think what I would do is buy a brick of Eley match from Killoughs. You can specify lot numbers. I would get two boxes of 5 different lot numbers. Will give you some experience with match ammo and different lot numbers. They probably won't still have any of your lots in stock by the time you get yours and shoot them though. Just giving you another choice. I have never bought ammo from them other than full bricks at a time maybe they won't give you the option of multiple lots like I mentioned?

Last edited by Lerrab; 10-26-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:26 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay, I copied these last two posts with names of suppliers and emailed them to myself.
I'll post what I buy.

Apologies to the OP for stealing his thread.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:09 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Midsouth shooters supply was out of everything.
So I went to Killoughs and ordered Eley match.
My money went further by not ordering Centerex.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:08 PM
Jarink
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
This type of stuff with gun pricing I run into all the time. I search for something that is hard to find. I see good prices advertised but the item is not in stock. I opt for the "notify when available" only to get the email and see the thing marked up $2-300 or more over MSRP.

I get it. It's capitalism at work. The item is in high demand so they price it accordingly. I can't fault them for it. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it wrong of them to leave the old prices showing knowing that they are going to mark it up considerably. Not really.
More than likely, the price for that item doesn't get updated in their database until\unless more of them are received from the manufacturer. From the vendor's point of view, it's pointless to adjust the price of a product you aren't able to sell because it's likely to change again when new stock arrives.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:31 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I can't say what happened to you, but Midway definitely does offer some crazy good prices, and honor them. The Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 is currently on sale for $359 here: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420373744

I purchased mine from them for $199, and got free shipping. If necessary, I can share a screenshot of the order page. So I don't know what happened to you, but I know they advertise and honor some low prices.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:16 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Midway

I've ordered stuff from Midway for over 2 decades now and have never run into anything that remotely resembles a "bait and switch". I have placed orders with Midway for items which were on back-order and always got them at the price existing at the time I placed the order.

If I read the OP correctly, not an easy read, the scope was only placed in the shopping cart. Just my 2 cents worth but I don't think that constitutes an order of any kind.

As for the ammo threadjack, it's always been wise to shop around and compare price plus shipping before placing an order.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:35 PM
dhill77

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
refurbished scope

if you like the vortex scopes, and don't mind buying refurbished, there's a company in Indiana that sells factory refurbished at about 1/2 price
aaoptics, nice people
thought the guy who told me was full of it, till I bought from them, now I look there first

haven't ordered too much from Midway, but seems like all the other websites, need to do your research before making a purchase.

Last edited by dhill77; 10-28-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill77 View Post
if you like the vortex scopes, and don't mind buying refurbished, there's a company in Indiana that sells factory refurbished at about 1/2 price
aaoptics, nice people
thought the guy who told me was full of it, till I bought from them, now I look there first

haven't ordered too much from Midway, but seems like all the other websites, need to do your research before making a purchase.
And that company is???
Old 10-29-2021, 12:18 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Went in the backdoor at Midway USA and signed up my wife.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:20 PM
doclu60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosscoe View Post
And that company is???
A & A Optics. They have a web page. 'aa optics' typed into my search bar brought me right to them. It's in the post you quoted BTW.

Scott
Old 10-29-2021, 12:23 PM
skywag
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it isn't made in Oregon I wouldn't buy it anyway.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:29 PM
LeadSpitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
I was going to order a Vortex viper last week but was waiting till I had the funds. I placed the optic in my cart last Friday for $399 as a “Pre Order” saying approximate arrival date was 10/28/21. Today when I went to cart it was gone and it was down to $249! The problem is I can’t add it to cart now and pre order it. The only option I have is to be notified when it arrives. I called Midway and was told they would honor the price of $249.99 as long as it comes in by the end of the month. I was also told by the Midway representative that they only change their prices once a month, at the beginning of each month. So he couldn’t explain how the price got changed and they don’t, and never have, let anyone “pre order” merchandise.

Here’s the add from this morning. Wish I would have took a screen shot of the $399 price with a pre order from last week. I’m sure that is why it was removed from my Midway USA’s shopping cart,

So I called Vortex to ask if they did indeed ship these optics to Midway. The person I talked with asked the sales manager. Very nice guys BTW. He knew nothing about the Midway USA order and I was told that optic was discontinued. I was also told they had zero in inventory. The rep said they would research it and get back to me. Got a call a few minutes later from Vortex and was told they had something set up that these optics were or order and that Midway would be getting them but not till December. Vortex said if it were them to call Midway back and ask to have the current price they honored at $249 to be extended from October 31st to the end of December. They also said if Midway pulls a fast one and doesn’t honor the price to call them back and they have retailers they work with that I could save some money off of vortex…but not as cheap as $249. It was round a $100 more for the Dead hold version. I then called Midway back and told them I talked directly with Vortex. I told them the optics are not due to arrive till some time in December. I asked if they could honor the price through December and also if I could just pre order a scope. I was told no to both and their prices change to often to honor the $249. It doesn’t surprise me with Midway. I’ve seen them go out of stock on certain items and then the next day the price on that item gets dropped to a ridiculously low price. I believe they do it so Midway USA comes up as the lowest at price when the item is googled. I believe it’s a marketing “scam” to get you to click on their website and hopefully took around to think there are other ”deals” there. Not upset over it but just figured I’d share since I’ve have problems with Midway USA in the past. I figured at least if I was able to order the optic for a great price Vortex would take care of the warranty.
Something may have been lost in translation and or communication? That said, ever stop to think, since you mentioned the scope, if the person you spoke with at Vortex understood everything and looked up the correct scope? Either way, if the scope is discontinued, maybe Midway isn't getting them from Vortex but from a wholesaler / one of their suppliers? Maybe they lowered the price because it is being discontinued and they were able to get a better rice because of it. Thus the lower price? Maybe someone at Midway put the wrong information in and when they realized it they pulled it and corrected it? So many things could have happened. But to say it was done on purpose, that's a tough one to prove.

In the end you can do one of two things. Those being, you can either purchase the scope you want from MidwayUSA, no matter the price, or, you don't? I'd also point out and mention that I recently received a sales flyer from MidwayUSA. Maybe, it's possible, they had something in the ad that wasn't on the website as part of the sale? As the sales ad does have a section for Vortex? I haven't looked to see if the one you mentioned is part of it or not.

Last edited by LeadSpitter; 10-29-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:06 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
skywag, and LeadSplitter, " I like the cut of your jib"