Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:21 AM
dirtclod75

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Light strike?

I have a volquarsten 17 wsm that seems to have more light strikes than any of my other 17wsm. Curious what other owners are getting, I am probably getting 3-4 per 50 rounds, gun or ammo, have only shot 150 rounds through it, new gun just trying to get it broke in for squirrel season, thanks!!
Old 03-09-2019, 11:53 AM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try other ammo brands and if the same problem exists, figure it is the gun and call Volquartsen.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:21 AM
windage1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine does the same thing. I figured out that the firing pin doesn't strike close enough to the edge of the rim to make a consistent ignition of the primer powder. I compared my b-mag empties to my Volquartsen empties and saw the difference. My b-mag hasn't misfired for a very long time, btw. I also notified Volquartsen of the problem and I suggest you do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 12:30 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You might just need more break in time.
Also- make sure you scrub the chamber well and often, especially during the break in period. While Iíve never owned a .17, the single most common problem I see posted about them is problems with rounds not seating fully due to a dirty chamber. Incomplete seating can lead to all sorts of trouble including light strikes (some of the hammer energy is lost with the FP pushing the round in) and out of battery detonations which can be pretty hairy with the blown casing destroying the magazine.

Keep us posted on your progress-

DrGunner
Old 09-20-2019, 12:38 AM
windage1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a comparison between the two rifles.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:18 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by windage1
" I figured out that the firing pin doesn't strike close enough to the edge of the rim"

Here is a comparison between the two rifles.
I have to agree with your assessment. Since I don't own one of these rifles, it was really hard to tell if the problem was with bolt alignment, or with the bolt/FP design. So I searched for pictures of the bolt. I finally found a Youtube video and captured this still. It looks to me like a design problem. The FP should definitely be designed/made to strike closer to the rim IMO. I wouldn't be very happy with this after spending 2k+ on a rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VQ17WSM.jpg (72.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 12:47 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
I have to agree with your assessment. Since I don't own one of these rifles, it was really hard to tell if the problem was with bolt alignment, or with the bolt/FP design. So I searched for pictures of the bolt. I finally found a Youtube video and captured this still. It looks to me like a design problem. The FP should definitely be designed/made to strike closer to the rim IMO. I wouldn't be very happy with this after spending 2k+ on a rifle.
Ouch- and thatís a proprietary bolt and firing pin, so very little room to tinker/replace it to try and alter the strike pattern. I wonder if itís feasible to have the firing pin duplicated with a ďblankĒ made longer than OEM, then shaped with an offset blunt chisel point to move the contact point closer to the rim...?

Gotta agree with T-E here, thatís a pricey Oops, IMO-

DrG
Old 09-20-2019, 10:55 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That looks like its worthy of an email to Volquartsen (or call). One thing about that bunch, their service is as good as it gets. Can be tied, but not beaten. They will make good on their product, or at least thats all I've ever experienced with them. I've emailed at 6:30PM on a Saturday night and had a return label via email an hour and a half later before.