Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:58 PM
HectorFuego
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You WW I history buffs might enjoy this.

I'm always intrigued by old photos overlayed on the same scene in current times but this is the first time I've seen it done with 100 year old movie footage. Battle of Somme footage. At about the 22 minute mark you expect to see British soldiers step from 1916 to 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuz0BA3-_P0

Hector
Old 11-25-2019, 12:28 AM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If your a gun buff check out gun jesus on forgotten weapons, he goes to France from time to time and goes over battlefields among other things, great videos
Old 11-25-2019, 03:52 PM
OldDave
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great video. My grandfather fought in WW1. He never mentioned any of his experiences to his two sons. My uncle as a navy squadron CO requested his records. He researched where and when his Dad was in France and Belgium. He called my Dad and said "the old man was in all the %%%%".

After my military service my Grand Dad did share a few stories with me. As a sergeant he was entrusted with a light, magazine fed French machine gun. The U.S Army was short on machine guns and the French gave them these. He and his ammo carrier called it a never shoot. They spent more time trying to clear it than shooting it. Finally they just left it in the mud, picked up a couple of springfields and went on. A month latter the Captain wanted to know what happened to the machine gun. My grandfather had a large shrapnel wound on his arm and his ammo carrier had half his ear blown off. They told the Captain a shell had hit it and it was blown up. That was good enough for the Captain.

I finally researched this on the web. The U.S,Army did receive these pronounced a "showshot" machine gun. They were prone to jamming because the magazines were open on the sides and in the muddy conditions collected a lot of dirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 04:14 PM
jm17

TPC Rating: 
90% (8)
My Mothers father served in the British Navy during WWI. He died at age 48 as a result of heart failure that My grandmother always attributed to his exposure to poison gas during the war. My Fathers father served in the US Navy during WWI. He died at age 58 of Pneumonia. He had only one fully functioning lung as a result of wounds suffered during the war. I have a Luger 9mm pistol dated 1911 that came home with him.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:44 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thank you Hector, very interesting! There's a a Peter Jackson colorized documentary, "They Shall Not Grow Old" that's well worth watching as well.

My grandfather and namesake was gassed several times and also lost a good hunk of his left breast to a German potato masher. He passed in 1963 when I was 8 so I didn't get to hear (or don't remember) very many stories. I still know all the words to "Mademoiselle from Armentieres" though. We used to sing it together

..also have a German "Got Mittens" belt buckle he brought back.

Frank

Last edited by LtCrunch; 11-25-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:31 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Look over on Youtube for "The Great War" series; it was done week by week for the entirety of the war and I found out all sorts of stuff I had never heard of before.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:04 PM
62Ranger13
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you for that, Hector.
Have you been to the Liberty Museum in Kansas City?
Old 11-25-2019, 07:21 PM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Ranger13 View Post
Thank you for that, Hector.
Have you been to the Liberty Museum in Kansas City?
I live in the Kansas City area, so yes I have. It's something I recommend to anyone visiting the KC area. That and the barbecue.

My grandfather also served in WW I. I still have his dog tags and discharge papers. Unfortunately, I did not get his helmet which went to my aunt (I think).

I have watched "They Shall Not Grow Old." Great film. Peter Jackson did an amazing job.

Hector
Old 11-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
Great video. My grandfather fought in WW1. He never mentioned any of his experiences to his two sons. My uncle as a navy squadron CO requested his records. He researched where and when his Dad was in France and Belgium. He called my Dad and said "the old man was in all the %%%%".

After my military service my Grand Dad did share a few stories with me. As a sergeant he was entrusted with a light, magazine fed French machine gun. The U.S Army was short on machine guns and the French gave them these. He and his ammo carrier called it a never shoot. They spent more time trying to clear it than shooting it. Finally they just left it in the mud, picked up a couple of springfields and went on. A month latter the Captain wanted to know what happened to the machine gun. My grandfather had a large shrapnel wound on his arm and his ammo carrier had half his ear blown off. They told the Captain a shell had hit it and it was blown up. That was good enough for the Captain.

I finally researched this on the web. The U.S,Army did receive these pronounced a "showshot" machine gun. They were prone to jamming because the magazines were open on the sides and in the muddy conditions collected a lot of dirt.
That would be the "chaudchat"(pronounced "show shot") light machine gun, oossibly the worst weapon ever issued by any army anywhere. To make the matter even worse, we turned down the excellent Lewis gun in the chaudchat's favor. The BAR wasn't yet available, unfortunately.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:29 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Amazing to see these men superimposed on the modern scenery. Brings it to life in a different way than Peter Jackson's effort. Jackson digitally restored and "re-timed" the frame rate of the archival footage, which has the effect of making the soldiers look as if they were filmed with modern equipment. No more early film "quick walk" - I was very impressed. Makes it less like ancient history. Kind of make you wonder what of the current Youtube archive will be available in 100 years.

GP100 trigger job? It will be ancient history on its own. . ..
Old 11-27-2019, 10:35 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very cool.

My Grandfather drove an ambulance in France during WWI.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:13 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My paternal grandfather was US Army Med Corps, ready to be shipped out when the Arm. was declared. The show 'MASH' has an effect in spite of a different time/war; very special people, those.
The 'war to end all wars'..... I have a set of documentaries for each year of the USA involvement. Human nature hasnt changed, just the technology we use to murder our fellow man.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:15 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My gramps was a horse handler in WWI. He never talked about it other than he never got shot at which he was grateful. When we were kids he'd hook up a toboggan to his Chevy car and drag us kids down the snowy icy road @ speed by his place outside of town. He never had a pot to whizz in but he was a happy man with a disintegrating hip joint that put him in a wheelchair the last decade of his life.
Gramps was the local VFW Post CMNDR when I got wounded the last time in 68 and made me a member while I was still recuperating in a VA hospital. Years later while he was living in AZ for his health I took the Post reins as it were for 10 yrs..
Old 11-27-2019, 11:55 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Human nature hasnt changed, just the technology we use to murder our fellow man.
My Grandfather begged in tears that my Dad not volunteer after Pearl Harbor; he'd seen the horrors of war. Dad did though, and ended up a Navy radio/radar tech who never saw combat. I imagine Grandpa was relieved.

Thank a Vet at every opportunity.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:56 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, Al.