I need suggestions for a new laptop computer - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Sub sailor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I need suggestions for a new laptop computer

I have a laptop that is about 4 years old and it is really making some wierd sounds when it runs. I suspect it is either the hard drive or the cooling fan that is the source of the sounds. I figure it is time to step up and replace this laptop (it is an HP). I haven't started looking yet, but I thought pick the collective brains of Rimfire Central for suggestions, what to look for, what to avoid, what chips, memory, etc. I am looking at a budget of about $600-700. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!!! Please point me in the right direction.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:34 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Think iPad!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2019, 08:58 PM
RED HORSE
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Love the MacBook Pro I got about two weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 09:29 PM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
If it's just for the net... I replaced my old tablet with a little Chromebook and am pretty happy with it. I got a mouse for it and it's much like my laptop.

I'm usually pretty daring to rip things apart... youtube how to replace a fan on that particular laptop.

Last edited by JEE; 11-19-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:37 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check slickdeals and search for laptop. Or look at everybody’s Black Friday deals.

Too many variables to make a recommendation.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:41 AM
Vasquez956

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Just remember that whatever you buy will be outdated and old within a year haha
Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Lenovo 330 from Walmart for about $250 about 6 months ago. Works great. I figure it will need to be replaced in a couple years anyway so why pay more.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:02 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
PC? Why do you want another PC? Many of the companies that built/sold PC’s in the past are gone for a reason. The operating system (windows) had something to with that. If you want a laptop, take a look at the MAC.

Wireless networks and the likes of the APPLE MAC, iPad/iPhone and Google are killing the PC industry. Great products like Gmail, Numbers and Sheets are free.

Go to Best Buy and ask for a product demonstration products that they have. You would like an introduction to features, function, ease of use, connectivity, software options/cost , etc. Then go to an Apple store and ask for the same thing. I suspect the experience will be it will be an eye opener for you.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:18 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEE View Post
I'm usually pretty daring to rip things apart... youtube how to replace a fan on that particular laptop.
Exactly. First step use an air hose or canned air and blow the FOD off the fan blade through the exit vent. It doesn't take much dust to throw them out of balance. If that doesn't do it like Jee says,replacement fans are cheap. Splitting the case can be tricky though, even trickier stuffing all the guts back in and closing it up.

If it really is toast then all the advice given is good. For the price you've stated (or less) you can buy a nice machine. If you have a Costco or Sam's Club membership they'll be throwing some good sales up online shortly.

Frank
Old 11-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll never buy another HP product again. The Vista laptop I bought at Best Buy had to have the RAM, HD, DVD drive replaced once each - and the mother board needed replaced TWICE. Total junk. And that's just the hardware.

HP corrupts the operating system with their own software, and you can't remove it without making the system unbootable. The "bloatware" they install is terrible too. Two of the "games" they installed came complete with viruses.

And HP support is awful. My computer was working fine until HP installed an update for their SW. Then nothing worked. Their support's FIRST troubleshooting step is "restore the original factory image". NO WAY.

I recommend Dell. Their HW is as good as any other quality brand, but their support is far superior. You can find drivers on their sight for virtually any computer they've ever sold.

It's a myth that Apple computers can't get viruses. Back in the early days when they used proprietary hardware, it was. But everything they make now is just as vulnerable as Windows. The only secure OS is Linux. Otherwise, security is up to you.

Running a secure router with a strong password will block out hackers. A quality AV program will block viruses. High security settings and not visiting malicious web sites, etc. will keep your computer clean. I also use the "hosts" files to kill popups and an ad blocker program. Java script is disabled by default to keep Google and other dummies from tracking my usage.

And always make "real" backups before doing updates, installing/deleting programs, and so on. XP was the last operating system you could actually repair. Now days you will have to reinstall the OS from a "known good" copy.

I miss XP.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I would look for a refurbished laptop from someplace like TigerDirect. Pop in an SSD drive and install your favorite flavor of Linux. No annoying updates. No viruses. Plenty of shareware.

I have one in the other room that I have been running for a couple of years now. Cost was minimal.

These days, I look at a computer like a blender or a drill. No need to be on the cutting edge. Blending, drilling, and consumer-level computing? Last gen tech is cheap, durable, and works well.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:04 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On laptops, I'd have to recommend Toshiba. First bought one on friend's advice that works on computers. Neither of my two has needed repair.

I have an old Toshiba laptop with XP. Still works fine for running old games, last I tried it works well enough to get by with Internet. Runs slow, thanks to all the crap Microsoft stuffed it with near the end, trying to force me to buy W7. They're doing that now with my desktop HP, loading up 7 so I'll buy 10.

I have a newer Toshiba that came with both Windows 7 and 10. You had the option of running either for 30 days, and had to choose at the end. I kept 7. Now wondering if that was a mistake.

My desktop is an HP, eight years old with no real problems. It's seen daily use, and never been in the shop.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If a $200 PC meets your needs, get it.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:08 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wife's olde Mac laptop is no longer supported hence can't look up a lot of stuff etc....one of the Achille's Heels of Mac IME &IMO. If all goes well when she's 'in the mood' for a shopping trip for a touchy feely of the iPad she's expressed a desire, something different, for, I'll be happy. I played with it already and it was satisfactory but I prefer a bit more sturdiness of the laptop albeit more pricey.

While the iPad looks flimsy when set up it passed my shake it till it falls apart test via some sorta Chinese magic and magnets, YMMV. It neatly folds up and stays put for transport.

Since my birth into the net all I've ever used are Macs so its all the intel I got.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:09 PM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub sailor View Post
I have a laptop that is about 4 years old and it is really making some wierd sounds when it runs. I suspect it is either the hard drive or the cooling fan that is the source of the sounds. I figure it is time to step up and replace this laptop (it is an HP). I haven't started looking yet, but I thought pick the collective brains of Rimfire Central for suggestions, what to look for, what to avoid, what chips, memory, etc. I am looking at a budget of about $600-700. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!!! Please point me in the right direction.
For that amount of money, you have a good range of choices. I would stick with the platform you are most comfortable with (i.e., Windows, Mac, Linux) and then decide what size screen you want. From there, pick a brand you have heard of, and that has a support network in case you have a warranty issue.

Next, find a machine with a solid state drive (SSD) rather than a mechanical hard drive. They are faster and have no moving parts. You won't get as much capacity per dollar with an SSD, but not having to worry about failure is a big deal. Anything larger than 128GB is probably sufficient for most users, but get as much as you can afford. If you tend store a huge amount of videos, photos, music, etc., go bigger.

4GB of RAM is sufficient, 8GB better and more will never hurt.

Good luck.