Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:26 AM
edward79

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need help with new gun purchase

My wife just came to me and said she is going to buy me a rifle for x-mas, I have to choose what she is going to get me. (I love her), I have about 1500ish budget, already have a scope. I am a member at a gun club and they have small bore matches. So i was hoping to be somewhat competitive. I have been doing the 308 reloading, target shooting thing for years and am wanting to get back to rimfire after 5 plus years out of the scene (308 get expensive fast). I love semi automatic and not to fond of crazy stocks. My question is are the volquartsen worth the money or is there better options in my price range. I am looking at 22lr. And I could creep up to 2000 if necessary.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:22 AM
Andrew22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would highly encourage you to take a look at Kidd rifles. I dont have one of his complete guns but have used alot of parts (barrels and triggers) and it is top notch stuff. Very highly regarded and proven to be great shooters. Another option is Joe Chacon builds fully custom benchrest guns on the 10/22 platform. I have no experience with them personally but the results from the people who have them I have seen are pretty amazing. You can find his contact information on the Auto bench rest Association website.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2019, 08:56 AM
mpolk
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If you are wanting to stay semi auto, I would definitely go Kidd! I would not even consider the Volquartsen over the Kidd. I have several all Kidd or part Kidd (barrels), but my preferred bench 22's are a CZ MTR and an Anschutz 64 bolt gun. I just have better luck with bolt competition guns, JMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Donnie Powell
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you don't have to have a semi-automatic I would go with an Anschutz for that kind of money.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:30 AM
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
That is an easy decision...for a semi-auto, get a full KIDD supergrade, none better.

For bolt, Anschutz in that price range.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I'd go with the Kidd 100%. If you were interested in fancy stocks I would say check out Joe Chacon.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
KIDD Nun Beda

https://www.coolguyguns.com/RIFLES_c_10.html

Check these links and read all the way down to the Leader Board...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=462794

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=462806

Last edited by Chaser; 11-06-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:54 PM
edward79

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok you guys got me, Kidd it will be. I am looking at the super grade, but since the barrel has different mounting doesn't that make the stock special. And what is the deal with the tang. Didn't know if you would consider it a disadvantage not to have standard barrels in case you wanted a different brand.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward79 View Post
Ok you guys got me, Kidd it will be. I am looking at the super grade, but since the barrel has different mounting doesn't that make the stock special. And what is the deal with the tang. Didn't know if you would consider it a disadvantage not to have standard barrels in case you wanted a different brand.
The Beauty of the Supergrade is you can change barrels in about 2 minutes.. IF you want a different length or weight... and yes the Stock/Rec. is bedded but that is not a problem with the barrel swap.
The rear tang/anchor is for some Gents a Big Deal... I have done a ton of experimenting and found it NOT a big deal for me... at 50 yds. you MAY..I say MAY see a .01-.02 diff. in groups rear anchored vs. not... to many variables to nail that down for you... but the Supergrade's come with the rear tang so why not.. do it.
As to swapping out "other" barrels.. good question.. you can't. And why would you.. KIDD has the best barrels on the market.. Lasers.

I LOVE my Supergrade.. inbound PM .. check it.

Here is the Supergrade Barrel swap video... https://youtu.be/3b_Ur6kFpe0

Last edited by Chaser; 11-06-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:01 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If the smallbore matches are shot in any positions other than benchrest, I'd go Kidd. If benchrest only, I'd seriously consider talking with Joe Chacon.

If the smallbore matches are CMP Rimfire Sporter sanctioned matches, you need to stay within the equipment rules of that game.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:50 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward79 View Post
Pretty sure you can still order a Kidd with the traditional slip fit design. It wouldn't be the "Super Grade", but still a complete Kidd rifle.

Last edited by Nick7274; 11-06-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:39 PM
edward79

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is there any real difference in accuracy of his different barrels. I know in centerfire world stainless is the way to go because it is easier to machine than cromoly steel. I was thinking threaded 18 inch ss. Then a 2 stage trigger 8oz and bell and carlson stock.

https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index...tegory_ID=1109

has anyone used one of these stocks?

And thanks for the help.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:09 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Excellent.. just excellent.. all your choices are great!
Stock = I like the T-Hole version better but that's just me...
I have owned and/or still own several of each barrel in .920 Match versions.. 18" and 20" in both Blued and Stainless and I see No/Nada difference in their laser accuracy... same same.

I sent you a PM (Personal Message).. ya may wanna read it.

Last edited by Chaser; 11-10-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:27 PM
bullseye4845
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Need help with new gun purchase

Hey Chaser, my favorite of your BC stocks is the middle, A54 type. I seem to remember in the years I have seen your rifles, you had this rifle sitting upon a pivot, with a red trigger, with a forest background--maybe some water stream in background--too old for this old mind to remember. I love that stock!!
Old 11-10-2019, 05:39 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye4845 View Post
Hey Chaser, my favorite of your BC stocks is the middle, A54 type. I seem to remember in the years I have seen your rifles, you had this rifle sitting upon a pivot, with a red trigger, with a forest background--maybe some water stream in background--too old for this old mind to remember. I love that stock!!
Sounds like this one... the photo Won the Green Mountain Photo contest that year.. thanks!