Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:49 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Large Objective lenses on riflescopes

What is with the super large objectives that are available on Riflescopes now?

I know I know, you get more light coming in the scope, the better the image coming out of it but at what tradeoff?

I have a number of high end leupold with 40 mm objectives and they work just fine. a 36 power, a couple of 6.5x20x40's, and a number of other lesser power scopes on hunting rifles. I also obtained a Konus variable with a objective of 56 mm and mounted it on my kimber 82 G. It turned a very sweet handling position rifle into a obnoxious boat paddle that is top heavy with the scope centerline too high above the rifle bore. It has some nice gizmos like a internal level and two colors of illuminated recticle but even when using it benchrest it feels like it wants to flop over on its head.

I have also looked through some other 56 mm scopes and while I admit that the image delivered is breathtaking, I honestly cannot see the benefits of such a monster scope, even on a 10 pound rifle like the Kimber 82g.

With my leupold 36 power rifle scope, I can see bullet holes at 200 yards in the white and most of the time when they are in the black. 22LR bullet holes!.

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 12-01-2019, 10:02 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This, like a lot of things, frequently boils down to a matter of preference....and whatever the current fad is. Like you, I don't have much use for the monster scopes that seem to be the rage now-a-days. True, they do have increased light gathering capabilities, but the 40mm scopes I use now - mostly Leupolds - are quiet adequate for my purposes - and if something is good enough, then it is good enough. A big scope on a nice rifle just doesn't look right to me. Someone who likes to hunt open country (as on a deer lease in some parts of Texas) from a stand with a center fire rifle late or early may find such a combo useful. But for a gun I plan to carry I don't want a big ungainly scope to deal with.....especially on a .22 rimfire. I do a lot of my shooting off the bench, and I find a good 40 mm scope will do the job for me at .22 rimfire distances. But you will find a lot of the big scopes on guns used on the bench. The main issue I have with them is that higher line of sight necessitated by that big objective. And the looks.....

My one exception to my above stated preferences is with the big two inch objective Unertls.....I have three on three Winchester 52s. They are shot off the bench and are period correct for those guns....and long enough not to look "chunky". But again, this is largely a matter of preference. Those who like big scopes will have no trouble justifying them. We all have our preferences.

Last edited by pump .22s; 12-01-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like my Leupold 3.5-10x50 IL floating duplex on a 22 rf for nite hunting vermin and preds w/o artificial light. It used to be on my Rem 700 25-06. Its okey dokey in the daytime also.
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 10:15 AM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a 6-24*50 on a 10-22 for NRL 22. With my old eyes it is what I need to hit a 1 1/2" swinger at 100 yards on a cloudy day with all the paint rubbed off from bullet hits. That is barley above the grass level.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:38 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
I like my Leupold 3.5-10x50 IL floating duplex on a 22 rf for nite hunting vermin and preds w/o artificial light. It used to be on my Rem 700 25-06. Its okey dokey in the daytime also.
A purpose which the big scope fills nicely.....where light is a premium.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:58 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My oh my grandma, What big Eyes you have. The better to see you with, my dear!

I put sun shades on my big ones, cause they are way too bright
Old 12-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I have had one 30mm scope on one of my rimfire rifles where the scope was bigger than the rifle was and I could have used it for a carry handle...it got returned just way too big for it and me which made the whole rifle ugly.

If your working off the bench and making that 1000 yard shot then fine buy a hubble but for hunting or walking around plinking....NO THANK YOU.

Signalman
Old 12-01-2019, 12:31 PM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The advantage is a larger exit pupil especially on a high magnification rifle scope. The exit pupil is dictated by the diameter of the objective lens and the magnification, regardless of model or brand of scope.

The exit pupil is the diameter of the objective divided by the magnification factor. A scope of 36X with a 40 mm objective has an extremely narrow exit pupil diameter of only 1.1 mm. A 20X scope with a 40 mm objective is a little better, but still has an exit pupil of only 2 mm.

The diameter of the human pupil is variable depending on ambient light and age. In bright light the pupil diameter is typically 2-3 mm but in dim light the pupil diameter may be 7 mm or greater in young people. In older folks the pupil tends to dilate a bit less.

If the exit pupil is less than your actual pupil diameter the scope is limiting light delivery to your eye. So a scope with a 1.1 mm exit pupil will do that under just about any conditions. A scope with a 2 mm exit pupil will do so in anything other than bright light.

A very narrow exit pupil is also much less forgiving when it comes to anything less than very precise positioning of the eye behind the scope. So it will be a real limitation for many when a quick shot must be taken.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:12 PM
MManning

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
A very narrow exit pupil is also much less forgiving when it comes to anything less than very precise positioning of the eye behind the scope. .
This is why. Anything less than ~2.5mm exit pupil at the desired magnification is annoying. In bright conditions ~2.0mm is ok.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

If you spend a lot of time looking through a scope it is nice if it has a big, clear picture.

But for sure the heavies work better on heavy rifles. The above setup weighs 17 lbs.

2 lbs of that is lead dowels in the buttstock.

I actually sleep with this rifle every night.

Last edited by SavagePlinker; 12-06-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:51 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I personally think their ugly, makes the rifle look out of balance; especially on rimfires and their heavy

overkill

pipestone
Old 12-06-2019, 11:11 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Didn't Mary Poppins say, "enough is as good as a feast"?

I think the main reason to have 50mm objectives on scopes is. . . to sell more scopes. After all, if we don't have them and we need them, then we have to buy them.

In optics, a lens's ability to gather light increases with the squire of the lens diameter. So a 50mm lens gathers a lot more light than one that is 40mm across.

The question is, can you use the extra light . . . does it do anything for you? In telescopes, the answer is almost always "yes" as astronomy takes place at night and more gathering lets you see really distant things with more contrast and clarity. Take a look at Saturn through an 8 inch scope vs. a 10 inch, and you'll see what I mean.

With rifle scopes, of course, it will all depend on how you use them. If you hunt at dusk, then you need all the light-gathering you can get, it seems to me. But if you shoot at a paper target during the middle of the day, I don't know that the extra light does all that much for you.

A 30mm tube, though. That potentially gives you some real advantages, assuming that the scope maker has used the extra room in the tube. I am thinking of the potential adjustments for windage and elevation with a 30mm scope compared to its 1-inch counterparts.

Fads and fashions aside, I generally think more consumer choice is a good thing though. Doesn't mean I have to jump on the bandwagon. But it is nice to know that it's there if I need it someday.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:38 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Leupold 3.5-10x50x makes a great carry handle for my CZ UL-22rf thankyouverymuch.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1575693466
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 08021881-2184-48DB-98E5-22AE636E69E8_1_105_c.jpeg (247.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 12-07-2019, 06:36 PM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess it really comes down to its intended purpose. For a 22lr that your gonna walk through the woods, yea a large scope does not make a whole lot of sense. But for PRS style shooting, its great. My 22lr wears a Vortex Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27x56, total weight is about 15lbs. But again, its built for the purpose of NRL22 matches and long range (out to 500 yards). Although I did carry it walking through the desert all day and shot 3 jackrabbits from 50-95 yards and a quail at 86 yards.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I love my Weaver GS 5-2050mm scopes on my rimfire's. The first one actually has a Super Slam 4-20 on it in the picture but had a GS on it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190620_154516_1575767237612.jpg (289.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191207_201148_1575767666092.jpg (221.3 KB, 9 views)