Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:52 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmaney View Post
Like to hear more on this number on the barrel? I only have one "NEW" Anschutz rifle & I don't remember seeing a number. I could easily have missed it, the rifle is factory bedded and I have likely only had out of the stock one time.

Give me the profile of these numbers and i will email ANA and see what they say.

Jeff
The number is on the bottom side of the barrel, about five to six inches from the receiver.

I have a 2015 1913 barrel (69cm) with a number of 00096x
I have a 2017 1907 barrel (66cm) with a number of 00106x
And my 2017 1710 HB barrel has a number of 00099x
Old 12-06-2019, 10:35 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I have a 2017 1416 barrel stamped on the underside...0011xx as P.G.

I too would like to know the barrel numbering purpose

pipestone
Old 12-06-2019, 10:50 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Mine have the serial and date code stamped just forward of the receiver and just visible above the forearm.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:52 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipestone View Post

pipestone
It tells you that the receiver and barrel were an assembly when the rifle left the factory.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:29 AM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
The old information didn't include "made in" then?
No, Anschütz GmbH Waffenfabrik Germany was the common marking from the mid to late 50's on. I have an earlier 1423 JGA that has no marking besides the proof and serial number on the receiver.

Last edited by Andyd; 12-07-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
When the gun laws were changed, § 24 WAFFG specified to mark the barrel of assembled long guns with a consecutive serial number and have the two letter country code according to ISO 3166 on the gun. Before that change, any essential part just needed to be marked with a consecutive serial number.

"Die Seriennummer nach Satz 1 Nr. 5 ist bei zusammengesetzten Langwaffen auf dem Lauf und bei zusammengesetzten Kurzwaffen auf dem Griffstück anzubringen. "

I believe that this particular part was changed around 2008 but changes to German gun laws are more frequent than rain in Seattle.

https://dejure.org/gesetze/WaffG/24.html

Anschütz has the marking requirements listed on their German website and currently long guns can be serial number marked on receiver or barrel. Country and year of manufacture can be on receiver, barrel or bolt.

file:///C:/Users/Andy/Downloads/FAQ_Beschussamt-Info-Kenzeichnung--24724WaffG.pdf

Last edited by Andyd; 12-07-2019 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Link added
Old 12-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipestone View Post

pipestone
It tells you that the receiver and barrel were an assembly when the rifle left the factory.

The meaning of this is not clear.

The receiver has the serial number and the date stamp is on the barrel, near the receiver.

The barrel number is on the underside of the barrel and is not visible when the barreled action is in the stock. It is not known how the barrels are numbered.

When did the numbers first appear? What determines the number on the barrels? Are they numbered consecutively? Are they numbered by model? Perhaps they are numbered according to the machine on which they were made?

My own 19xx barrels are separated by two years (2015 for the 1913 and 2017 for the 1907), yet the barrel numbers are separated by less than 100 (00096x and 00106x). If the numbers are consecutive, that would suggest Anschutz produced less than 100 barrels between the production of the 19xx barrels I have.

Parenthetically, and to add to the confusion, a friend of mine was enquiring about a 1907 barreled action recently offered for sale here in Canada. He told me the seller said the AA (i.e. made in 2000) barreled action barrel number was "00100". I have not been able to verify this.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:35 AM
jeffmaney
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anschutz barrel numbers

I have emailed Steve at ANA. Maybe he will give us an answer to these questions.

Jeff
Old 12-07-2019, 10:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmaney View Post
I have emailed Steve at ANA. Maybe he will give us an answer to these questions.

Jeff
I just emailed Anschutz GmbH, let's see who responds and answers our questions.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:11 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (237)
Wow, seems like I opened -- a can of worms? a Pandora's box? or at least a lot of questions with my DE question. Given how long it has apparently been going on, whoda thunk it? I never really thought about it before though I had noticed it some time ago. Seems I wasn't alone.

Will be interesting to hear what Steve and/or Anschutz Germany has to say.

Doug
Old 12-07-2019, 01:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
dbr65,

all that information should be freely shared by Anschutz GmbH with the American enthusiasts but Anschütz GmbH never understood, nor seriously cared for this market, nor the people that bought their rifles second hand.

To be honest, I do not expect an answer.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:54 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (237)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
dbr65,

all that information should be freely shared by Anschutz GmbH with the American enthusiasts but Anschütz GmbH never understood, nor seriously cared for this market, nor the people that bought their rifles second hand.

To be honest, I do not expect an answer.
THAT is truly sad! I have to believe that the U.S. is a major -- and lucrative -- market for Anschutz. I doubt the numbers would ever be available, but as Anschutz makes predominantly high-end rifles and with the U.S., having both a large number of shooting enthusiasts with ability to pay, we should represent a substantial share of Anschutz sales and profits. Maybe they haven't gotten over WW II?

Doug
Old 12-07-2019, 02:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
THAT is truly sad! I have to believe that the U.S. is a major -- and lucrative -- market for Anschutz. I doubt the numbers would ever be available, but as Anschutz makes predominantly high-end rifles and with the U.S., having both a large number of shooting enthusiasts with ability to pay, we should represent a substantial share of Anschutz sales and profits. Maybe they haven't gotten over WW II?

Doug
It isn't political, Anschutz has their market in match rifles for UIT matches and the U.S. are not an important market. Germany has 1.5m members of the shooting association and they are mostly rimfire match rifle shooters.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:45 PM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
No, Anschütz GmbH Waffenfabrik Germany was the common marking from the mid to late 50's on. I have an earlier 1423 JGA that has no marking besides the proof and serial number on the receiver.
Andyd,
I own only one Anschutz and it is a Weatherby which says "Made In Germany" in large printed letters, left rear receiver. The letters of the serial number which signify year also differ from the 1416. Letter "A" is still used for zero which in my rifle is the first letter of the two. Then the Wby/Ann's second letter differs from Anschutz production and their Anschutz model rifles. Where Anschutz leaves off at letter K=9 Weatherby begins with L=1, M=2, N=3, O=4, P=5, Q=6, R=7, S=8 and T or U (not sure which letter) equals the digit 9.

P.S. I had seen what the "DE" meant in a much earlier thread. Omit the question mark in post #2 and this was of course early answered.

The barrel marking will also be interesting to learn about should we hear more from Anschutz?

Thank You! For enlightening me on the Anschutz markings I appreciate it.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:48 PM
jeffmaney
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel Lot Number

Did not take Steve long to reply to our request for answers regarding the numbers on Anschutz barrels. I wish Steve had more of a presence on this forum but do understand why not.

Steve's reply:

To: Jeff Maney
lot numbers for barrels so we can track any production problems.

s.

My email to Steve:

Several Anschutz rifle owners have commented about a ‘new’ 6 digit number of the bottom of rifle barrels.
These numbers are on the bottom of the barrel about 5-6 inches forward of the receiver.
These range from:
Year Model Number
2015 1913 00096X
2017 1907 00106X
2017 1416 0011XX
What is the meaning/usage of these numbers stamped of the bottom of your barrels?
Thanks,

Jeff Maney