Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:54 PM
Piexcel
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dan Wesson M22 vs S&W M617

I discovered the Dan Wesson M22 while looking for a replacement for my High Standard Sentinel R101. I'm drawn to the S&W 617 10-shot, but then the DW caught my eye. I know that there is a difference in capacity with the DW at six shots while the S&W is 10. I also noticed the price difference on Gunbroker. The DW M22 sells at about $100-$200 more as a used firearm than the S&W selling around $600 NIB. Is there anything about the DW M22 that warrants a higher price tag?
Old 12-03-2019, 11:28 PM
Dean1151
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very good Question. A few thoughts.

I have the 617s older brother, the Model 17-6, it is a six shot version, 6 barrel. It was worked on by a retired gunsmith so I could compete in 50 bullseye competitions. I also have the Dan Wesson M22 and am starting to get used to it for small game and plinking.
The Model 17 & 617 are very good size & weight trainers for the S&W 27 & 586/686, 38/357 revolvers. The Dan Wesson M22 is the equivalent to the Model 15 38/357. Both 22 caliber models are very good to excellent trainers for the larger caliber revolvers. The advantage with the Dan Wesson is its ability to change barrel shrouds and barrels from I believe 2 inches to 10 inches, maybe longer. The barrels and shrouds are quite hard to find but are out there. My model 22 has a 4 inch barrel and heavy for the size. It does match the model 15 well in size and weight. The option to change barrels is a good one, as you can set up for hunting and swap to target or carry as you need. With the S&W model 617, the barrel change is not an option unless you have someone set it up for you. (Quite expensive to do.) I will be needing to go through the Model 22 to lighten up the trigger and double action, but this I did on my model 17 also. Its is something needed but not worth not purchasing a Model 22 over.
Both the Dan Wesson and the Smith and Wesson revolvers are very good options for learning and future use. It is a personal preference for you to decide. Both are worth what you purchase them for and should keep or increase in value if you are looking for that aspect. 6 shot vs 10 shot; more weight on Model 22 vs 617; changeable barrels on Model 22, not so on 617. Both at home target, plinking or hunting. I hope this helps and gives thoughts to ponder. Good luck, Randy
Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get the Dan Wesson and dont look back. I have the pistol pack in .22lr along with a .22mag cylinder and crane (not part of the pistol pack). It has more than quadrupled in value since I bought it. The option to change barrels to suit your needs is a great thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 06:28 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i agree , you cannot beat the DW for quality and even though ill not part with any of my S&Ws i always reach for the DW when packing DA/SA revolvers for the range ,
Old 12-04-2019, 07:37 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'll take a Dan Wesson any day over a Smith.

≡✪≡
Old 12-04-2019, 08:40 PM
rimfiresrule2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would bet on a S+W over a DW any day. I may be going by my experiences thou with a couple used ones, especially my .22
Old 12-05-2019, 06:57 AM
Piexcel
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey everybody, thanks for the info. It really does help!
Old 12-05-2019, 08:29 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
My Dan Wesson went back to the factory three times and they simply couldn't fix it and wouldn't replace it. I even gave it to them once at the IHMSA Internationals to look at they said to send it back. Dan Wesson the third or fourth (not sure what number he was) looked at it and said to send it back. Never got fixed. They should have supplied a hammer with it to get the empties out (didn't matter what brand of ammo). It only shot one brand well enough to use in competition. However, my Ruger Single Six would out shoot it. I finally traded it off for something else. I won one at a big shoot and sold it on the spot based on my prior experience. I have two 617's and I've NEVER had a problem with either. They aren't the most accurate guns I've ever owned, but they're pretty decent. Also, SW is still in business and will take care of them.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:10 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I sent you a PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:22 AM
Piexcel
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alro41 View Post
I sent you a PM.
Received and replied!
Old 12-07-2019, 05:27 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
I believe we have to clearly differentiate in between the Monson guns, made in between 1968 and 1990 and the guns that were made in Palmer after the bankruptcy, or in Norwich after 1995. DW is owned by CZ since 2005 and the company changed hands several times which will usually lead to a turnover of employees and loss of experienced staff. The older guns have an excellent reputation that is well deserved.

That said, I have my range bag ready for today with three rimfire revolvers that are together 175 years old, which makes even me feel young .
Old 12-07-2019, 07:40 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had both at the same time back in the 1990's. The Dan Wesson out shot the S&W Model 17. The DW had to go back to the factory for a broken extractor. I have two other DW's (357MAG and 357MAX) and they too went back for a broken extractor. Note these are two different frame sizes.

Recently I decided to use a shorter barrel on the 357MAG. When I went to remove the barrel bushing it was seized onto the barrel in the shroud. I broke the original barrel tool and an after market robust tool. I tried everything to get that barrel nut loose. I is hidden down inside the shroud, impacting my ability get a good grip on it. Finally I sawed the shroud in half, which release the barrel tension and was able to remove the barrel from the frame. The barrel nut when in the open was able to be removed without damage to the barrel. But the shroud was now junk. The new barrel and shroud easily fit the gun. I think it was the anti-seize compound that turned to glue that stuck the bushing to the barrel. It had been many rears since that barrel had been removed.

Then there is the new S&W guns. Barrels are no longer pined. Often they are clocked wrong on the frame, bases on posts here. S&W service is spotty with poor quality control: long delays, finish marked from poor handling, multiple trips back for fixing the same problem. The parts internally may be MIM parts rather than cast, forged or machined as they were 50 years ago. But the triggers are usually superb or can be made that way with the change of one spring (rebound slide spring).

Both of these guns I had are gone. I prefer, and shoot better, the semi-auto 22LR target pistols of which I have many. Interestingly, I do fine with centerfire revolvers (what's with that???). I like my older S&W centerfire revolvers. All shoot well and show finesse in design unlike the Ruger centerfire revolvers I have owned. As an aside, I have the new Ruger GP100-22 bought for nostalgia reasons. It is not in the same league as either the M17 or the DW.

This is just MY experiences and MY opinions. So you choose for yourself.

LDBennett
Old 12-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Piexcel
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
As an aside, I have the new Ruger GP100-22 bought for nostalgia reasons. It is not in the same league as either the M17 or the DW.
Thanks for your input above.

I considered a Ruger GP100 and SP101 in 22lr also. But I eliminated them from consideration after reading about their not-so-great triggers.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:46 AM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you can find a Colt Official Police .22 you might give that some consideration. When I found myself needing to come up with some money I made a choice between a nice S&W 17 no-dash and a Colt OP, I still have the Colt. I do miss the S&W though...
Old 12-17-2019, 09:08 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
I believe we have to clearly differentiate in between the Monson guns, made in between 1968 and 1990 and the guns that were made in Palmer after the bankruptcy, or in Norwich after 1995.
I occasionally run into Dan Wesson revolvers at estate auctions, and I wasn't aware of the difference. Are the Monson guns stamped "Monson"?

Thanks!
Dave