Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:37 AM
chillywig
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kidd 2 stage trigger failure to eject

Been having quite a few failures to eject since installing a kidd 2 stage trigger. Clean action well lubed using 10 round ruger mags. Fire a round bolt picks up the next cartridge and begins to chamber. Spent case does not leave the receiver and gets lodged sideways between bolt and barrel. This happens with both SV and HV ammo. The gun has a kidd charging handle using factory bolt. I have been using the white kidd spring. I just installed the - 10% grey spring. Anything else I should be looking to try?
Old 12-01-2019, 11:20 AM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scrub your chamber and get a new extractor.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:26 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Id put the original trigger group back in just to make sure the kidd was the problem. If its not then id scrub out the chamber and see if that was the problem, if its not id change the bolt, from another gun and see if that was the problem, if not then id change the extractor.

If its the kidd, id just send it back. But I doubt it. Unless the secondary ejector is in the wrong place.

The 1022 is essentially a blowback operation, the extractor helps if needed and the primary ejector is the front of the magazine and the secondary ejector , the one in the tg , helps if needed.

Its more likely than not , that your chamber is tight and holding the shell in to much so it doesn't blow out fast enough to bounce out.

Also that charging handle has a big knob on it, with a standard bolt that may have a big handle cut in it it may tilt just enough to bounce the shell back in, especially on a strong spring.

Just try one fix at a time, and you will find your solution.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get a better bolt.
Or have CPC rework yours.

You have an extractor issue not a trigger issue.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:53 PM
chillywig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the suggestions. Gun chamber etc was clean and oiled before shooting. Extractor was a Kidd. Using the Kidd -10% reduced power spring took care of the failure to eject issues I was having. The Kidd 2 stage trigger takes about twice the force vs a standard trigger assembly to rack the bolt and reset the hammer after firing.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:19 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
If you have access to a Bench Grinder or Belt Sander you can radius/chamfer the rear of your OEM bolt.. helps a BUNCH!

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=251031

And.. you say the chamber is clean.. really? Unless you are using a bent brush (I like a .243 brush) and some good solvent it's not clean.
This is your friend... https://www.gunsmithertools.com/prod...p-chamber-tool

The only lube I/and many use in the 10/tweekie2 is Hornady One Shot Dry Lube... best thing for it...

Last edited by Chaser; 12-06-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:19 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
Reminds me of the time one of my tires got a nail in it and made my engine seize...
Old 12-05-2019, 08:52 PM
chillywig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I may have to try that radius-ing of the bolt too. That looks slick and would have to help resetting the hammer. I shot close to 250 rounds of quality SV ammo today and only had one failure to eject. Before it was closer to 1 in 20. Other than than I did not notice any side effects from putting in the reduced power spring.

That chamber brush idea looks like it would be helpful too. I usually stop the 22 rifle length brush mid chamber and switch directions. But somewhere in the back of my mind I knew I was leaving deposits where the chamber ends and rifling begins
Old 12-05-2019, 11:46 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillywig View Post
I may have to try that radius-ing of the bolt too. That looks slick and would have to help resetting the hammer. I shot close to 250 rounds of quality SV ammo today and only had one failure to eject. Before it was closer to 1 in 20. Other than than I did not notice any side effects from putting in the reduced power spring.

That chamber brush idea looks like it would be helpful too. I usually stop the 22 rifle length brush mid chamber and switch directions. But somewhere in the back of my mind I knew I was leaving deposits where the chamber ends and rifling begins
Are you cleaning from the muzzle? That's bad.. stop it.. All I recommend to my clients is the chamber brush every 250 rds. followed by a BoreSnake- 3 passes from the chamber.. done. Chamber brush with Hoppes on it.. back and forth into the throat and and twist back and forth as much as ya have room for.. I even put a .17 patch on my .243 bent brush to mop.. then the BoreSnake to pull everything loose out.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:22 AM
chillywig

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nope. Drilled the rear of the receiver to clean from the breech
Old 12-06-2019, 09:13 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I can tell you right now what is the problem. Friction. And now that you installed the Kidd Trigger it has gotten worse because the Kidd trigger has a very heavy hammer spring to reduce lock time. That extra friction has pushed your rifle over the edge.

Replacing the extractor may help in some cases but to be honest, the 10/22 is a blow back action meaning you don't really need an extractor. The extractor is there to remove unfired rounds. They help because better ones hold the case a tad longer. But since you already have one, the next step is to radius the bolt. That reduces the energy required to re-cock the heaver hammer spring.

Years ago when I got my Kidd trigger I called Kid about this issue (the same one you are having) and that's what he told me.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I had a similar problem back when I got my first Kidd 2 stage trigger also. Same problems and it took some extra effort to work the bolt. Ended up sending the trigger back to Kidd. I never did get a real explanation as to what was wrong with it as they just sent me a replacement. But when I asked they said that they had adjusted something wrong in the trigger. Personally I think they accidentally gave it to me with the 22 mag hammer spring.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:29 PM
openspaces

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
So this is a good read for me. I just came back from the range after running my newly installed kidd 2 stage. The gun is a feddersen receiver/kidd barrel/bolt.

Gun was nearly 100% reliable with my rimfire technology torsion spring trigger setup but the Kidd 2 stage introduced multiple fail to eject. (Shooting Eley ammo and it was a little gummy based on weather) Based on the above I’ll clean the chamber again and possibly go to a lower power bolt spring.

As others have noted the force to cock the hammer is a lot more. (I’ll need to replace the handle as my daughter couldn’t pull the bolt after last round)

Last edited by openspaces; 12-08-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:40 PM
wolfzinAZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by openspaces View Post
So this is a good read for me. I just came back from the range after running my newly installed kidd 2 stage. The gun is a feddersen reveiver/kidd barrel/bolt.

Gun was nearly 100% reliable with my rimfire technology torsion spring trigger setup but the Kidd 2 stage introduced multiple fail to eject. (Shooting Eley ammo and it was a little gummy based on weather) Based on the above Iíll clean the chamber again and possibly go to a lower power bolt spring.

As others have noted the force to cock the hammer is a lot more. (Iíll need to replace the handle as my daughter couldnít pull the bolt after last round)
Clean bolt, chamber (use kroil, let it soak, and scrub with .223 brush) and inside of receiver. Don't use oil on it!