Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:50 PM
CDM5
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWashington View Post
I own barrels from all 3 of those manufacturers. I really like the look of the carbon fiber wrap on the VQ barrels, but the Kidd barrels shoot slightly better. I also like the fact that Kidd uses a countersunk muzzle crown to get it away from the part that is threaded. Supposedly that reduces the effect from the stress relief of the steel when the barrel is threaded for suppressor use. If for no other reason it greatly reduces the chance of crown damage.
Same with the VQ carbon barrel, and I'm the opposite, not a fan of the countersunk muzzle. Using a suppressor it builds up a lead/carbon deposit which quickly hardens and fills the void between the crown and the threaded portion, if left unchecked I wouldn't be surprised if you'd get bullet strikes.

I rarely use suppressors on that particular barrel now and just use a muzzle brake which seems to slow the build up.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Volquartsen's new ultra lightweight barrel is advertised at 15oz, putting it right there with a TacSol. Looks like they shortened the steel section and isn't drilled/tapped for the cantilever mount. That would be what I'd get if I was getting. May start getting just for a reason to blow cash in the coming months as well.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:36 AM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah. I don't mean to turn this into a TacSol thread...but...I too have a TacSol barrel that is ridiculously clean and accurate. Stainless sleeved barrel. Seems to be way more accurate than such a lightweight barrel has any right to be...
Old 10-30-2017, 12:03 PM
newkid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM5 View Post
Same with the VQ carbon barrel, and I'm the opposite, not a fan of the countersunk muzzle. Using a suppressor it builds up a lead/carbon deposit which quickly hardens and fills the void between the crown and the threaded portion, if left unchecked I wouldn't be surprised if you'd get bullet strikes.

I rarely use suppressors on that particular barrel now and just use a muzzle brake which seems to slow the build up.
Okay so this open up another question. I've never thought about lead building up in between the crown and the suppressor for a countersunk muzzle. My whole purpose of purchasing a new barrel is for a suppressor.

Any way, my heart is leaning towards the VQ but worry about what CDM5 mentioned about lead build up in between muzzle crown due the countersunk muzzle. I will do a bit more research into others including Magnum Research, Beyers, and PWS. I think i have enough information about Kidd, VQ, and WhistlePig. For now, I will exclude Tacsol because most people are saying it is not as accurate as the others.

Thank you all for your comments and input. I appreciate them all.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've got a TacSol, mainly because Shooters Discount has good prices on them currently, but its a steel gun so pinpoint accuracy isn't needed. I have put a scope on it, and the barrel is capable of 1/4" at 25yds (sorry, thats all I ever tried with it, and even then only a handful of groups with CCI SV and Eley Club). But still, if I were looking for a lightweight build and an accurate gun, I'd still be in the middle of this Kidd vs. VQ argument trying to decide between those two. And I'd likely get the Kidd. Or maybe the VQ. Or, well, glad I don't have to decide.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:15 AM
Nfd538
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfire View Post
I could tell you the answer, but I'm too lazy to type...

Jeff
But instead of passing by you had to comment some dumb %%%%
Old 12-04-2019, 12:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This thread is 2 years old.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:05 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Some people are just really late at making stupid remarks about someone who obviously made a joke more than 2 years ago apparently.......