Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:36 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
1416 undercarriage question

I have a new to me 1416 HB..last years model and was checking it all out. The rear action screw seemed overly tightened when I took it apart, as I went deeper the wood appears to be crushed, maybe heavy handedness, or do they come this way or does it matter?

The crushing is at the rear actin screw wood/ metal plate... pretty deep, the trigger housing reveal at wood plain sets a little low..as it has been crushed

The little splined bushing/sleeve is loose in the wood, up/down, whats this suppose to do?

Looks like it butts against this trigger housing nut

If anyone could explain how this is suppose to work in application,I would appreciate it.

Its a heavy barrel and is numbered on the bottom..whats the numbered barrel for?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for your help-

pipestone
Old 11-29-2019, 03:21 AM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
pipestone,

You arrived at the name of that part when you said "Sleeve" Anschutz calls it a "Distance Sleeve".

https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/inde...=226&sprache=1
#78 off of their 1416 Walnut Classic diagram.

I'd imagine part of its function can be derived by its name. I'd also think that it allows more contact area/rigidity for the action when it is drawn up together with adjacent surfaces.

I'm not one for the "Foot Pound" club myself but rather Inch Pounds or maybe (one) or possibly, possibly (two) Foot lbs. and Inches.

Looks as though all three wood contact areas got screwed in at "Foot Pound" settings.

I'm curious what the wood removal near the other screw that connects through the square nut does because it looks to leave the floor plate partially/slightly unsupported?

It appears that this wood removal would do nothing to increase the trigger assembly opening?

The trigger plate dipping below wood surface could possibly be due from what looks to be greater wood compression at that screw.

Although I'd also think that the function of the "Distance Sleeve" would be for it to contact metal on both ends?
Old 11-29-2019, 06:25 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post

I'm curious what the wood removal near the other screw that connects through the square nut does because it looks to leave the floor plate partially/slightly unsupported?

It appears that this wood removal would do nothing to increase the trigger assembly opening?

I guess it is a "left-over' from the DST assembly, the two trigger springs needed that relief cut. The screw in the center of the trigger guard also secures the DST trigger in the trigger guard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2019, 08:45 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I may be misreading this "problem" but here's how I see it.

There appears to be neither anything unusual or crushed in the photos. The side that we see on this photo is the side that meets the stock. The configuration of the floorplate would seem to require the imprint of its shape on the stock. It is unlikely to be the result of the action being over-torqued by the factory. The screw that goes through the front of the floor plate is not tightened as much as the rear action screw.

The "distance sleeve" (part #78) maintains the proper distance between the action's threaded bolt (part #27) and the floor plate/trigger guard. It is not as thick as a typical pillar used when pillar bedding a stock and may become distorted or crushed if the action screw is tightened too much.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:12 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
I may be misreading this "problem" but here's how I see it.

There appears to be neither anything unusual or crushed in the photos. The side that we see on this photo is the side that meets the stock. The configuration of the floorplate would seem to require the imprint of its shape on the stock. It is unlikely to be the result of the action being over-torqued by the factory. The screw that goes through the front of the floor plate is not tightened as much as the rear action screw.

The "distance sleeve" (part #78) maintains the proper distance between the action's threaded bolt (part #27) and the floor plate/trigger guard. It is not as thick as a typical pillar used when pillar bedding a stock and may become distorted or crushed if the action screw is tightened too much.

IMO it is their attempt at a pillar. if you do not change it out be careful as it will not hold torque.
I did an MPR which is very similar in setup from the factory. I replaced that metal tube with a real pillar. this is just one example I was working on and eventually made one so it contacted the bottom of the receiver and not sit on the trigger housing.

Lee
Old 11-30-2019, 12:36 AM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Thanks Gentlemen for all your responses
..and the precious time..

I can see now the attempt from Anschutz through the discussion above and putting it back together earlier this evening. Lee's Idea I thought was good and may go that route sometime down the road...Brass rod, offset hole, step down on the flat behind where the trigger assembly hooks up..bedded.

If any of you guys bed your own stuff on the newer wood/ action platforms, I would love to see some photos

The heavy barrel on this rifle has a 6 place stamped number starting with 00xxxx, any one know what this is about, my other two does not have this.

Have a great evening-

pipestone
Old 11-30-2019, 09:02 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipestone View Post
The heavy barrel on this rifle has a 6 place stamped number starting with 00xxxx, any one know what this is about, my other two does not have this.
The numbering on the barrels would appear to be a relatively new thing. I don't know when barrel numbering began. I have three Anschutz rifles that I bought new and all of them have numbers on the bottom of the barrel about 5 - 6" from the receiver. My oldest Anschutz, made in 1973, doesn't have such a number.

I have a 2015-made 1913 with a barrel number of 0009xx and a 2017-made 1710 HB with a barrel number that is very similar, adding only 31 to that of the former. My 2017-made 1907 barrel is numbered 0010xx.

It is not clear how the barrels are numbered, that is what determines the numbering. Perhaps Anschutz numbers the barrels by model.

In any case, this could be the subject of another thread.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:26 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Quote:

I can see now the attempt from Anschutz through the discussion above and putting it back together earlier this evening. Lee's Idea I thought was good and may go that route sometime down the road...Brass rod, offset hole, step down on the flat behind where the trigger assembly hooks up..bedded.

If any of you guys bed your own stuff on the newer wood/ action platforms, I would love to see some photos

Have a great evening-

pipestone
Here are some pictures of the bedding for the MPR rear pillar-
front pillar-
inletting for front pillar-
bedding front pillar-
as you can seen I milled a pocket to clear the mag well

Lee
rear pillar-

Last edited by Hi-NV Shooter; 11-30-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:38 AM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
The barrel proof shows 2017 letter designation with Barrel number 0011xx

Thats interesting...your numbers

pipestone
Old 11-30-2019, 05:07 PM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:

Have a great evening-

pipestone
If your action is typical of most 1416 rifles (I've had 2), it needs neither bedding nor pillars. Anschutz inletting is usually a bit loose (good, no binding), and with only modest torque on the action screws everything holds plenty snug. The design will not tolerate a lot of screw torque, but it doesn't need it. Snug the screws around 15-20 in/lbs and shoot it.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:31 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel number 5-6 inches ahead of receiver?

Anschutz does use the same barrels for different models. Perhaps these are sequential numbers keeping track of total production as I doubt receivers and barrels are produced at the same rate. Even if these are not sequential numbers they may still keep track of total output produced as the letter year and barrel number are together on the barrel.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:08 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Thanks Lee for the visuals I can draw from these down the road and your time digging the photo out.

I think what.... elh says.... is supportive to design and I have to agree after messing with it the last few days. Maybe a little fragile but well see in the longer run of things plus I got the visuals to accurize if need be.

" You won't be disappointed"...the man said..
...Thanks Spider..Its perfect!

I got a chance to site it and run a few groups this afternoon, shoots like the others.............Why is that.........

NIB , sounds like that could be right, probably is

Thanks Gentlemen

pipestone