Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:02 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Extended mag release install?

My package of goodies from Anschutz arrived today, included the extended mag release (sorry "Magazine holder" according to the manual.)

The Googles didn't give me any directions on removal and installation of the new one. Any advice?

Also, action screw torque specs? IIRC I had them around 29 in/lbs
Old 11-22-2019, 07:11 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one coming my way next week. Some magazine housings have a pin holding the lever in place, while others have a pin with e clips. My 2017-made 1710 has the e clips holding the pin. There is also a torsion spring pressing against the lever. One leg of the spring hooks around part of the housing. I am thinking that if the pin is removed with the spring in place, there may be a risk of it flying off in all directions.

It has been suggested to me by someone who has changed the original lever for the extended one that using needle-nose pliers or a small screwdriver will help in releasing the spring before removing the pin.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:19 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I ordered it they didn't include a pin or E clips, assuming that the ones I have would be fine. I don't see any of those on here, so I hope I'm not going to be stuck needing more parts.

I see there's a spring back behind there and a pair of slotted screws near the front and rear of the assembly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2019, 07:30 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm wondering if perhaps I remove that spring it will release pressure on the pin and I can remove the lever.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:12 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP74 View Post
My package of goodies from Anschutz arrived today, included the extended mag release (sorry "Magazine holder" according to the manual.)

The Googles didn't give me any directions on removal and installation of the new one. Any advice?

Also, action screw torque specs? IIRC I had them around 29 in/lbs
I think closer to 20 inch pounds would be better...or for starters.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:14 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks!
Old 11-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP74 View Post
I'm wondering if perhaps I remove that spring it will release pressure on the pin and I can remove the lever.
That's my understanding from the advice I received. First remove the spring, then punch out the pin. I haven't removed the lever yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the spring reinstallation proves to be the challenge.

Here's the magazine with the e clip. There's one on the other side as well. Other than that, I think they are the same.

My sporter action screws are torqued at 20 inch pounds.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:30 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

It all came apart easy enough.

Maybe I'm tired and there's not enough light and 1000 other excuses, but I'm having more trouble getting this back together than I should.

Assuming the gun is positioned with the barrel pointed to the left, this is how it should be oriented. The spring should go in and loop over the flange on the other side of the mag well, and the pin should go in. I can get it in position and start the pin but then I keep knocking it out of position. I'm not feeling any tension on the spring. Obviously I'm doing something wrong here.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:19 AM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
The short leg of the spring has to be forward and pressing on the top of the lever (ca. at 11 o'clock) and the long leg fits over the tab of the mag well housing (ca. 1 o'clock). When the spring will be hard to put in, it will have tension.

Last edited by Andyd; 11-23-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:59 AM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok I'm not completely awake yet but if I get it started with the short end in the 11 oclock position and get the pin through and in place then then I can pull the long end into position where it needs to be?
Old 11-23-2019, 09:03 AM
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Good morning Greg,

I had my coffee and walked the dog already and am fully awake. To answer your question: yes. The short leg is easiest to be put in place first, then you can install the lever with the long leg down and no pressure on it. After installing the pin, the long leg has to be pushed upwards against the pressure to sit under the tab.

Last edited by Andyd; 11-23-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:04 AM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Kind of like a Beretta trigger return spring, but different.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:09 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Great success! After I figured out just how the spring needed to be oriented it all went together pretty easily. Just needed a dental pick and a punch to loop it over the flange.
It looks funny but works like a charm.
The only thing I'm waiting on now are the anodized aluminum magazine floor plates from DIP. (I'm doing the regular 5 and 10 round mags with black and the mag with the single shot adapter will have a red one for easy identification.)
(Speaking of DIP, I am kind of surprised they don't make a "mid sized" mag release that's bigger and easier to use than the factory one but not quite as big as this biathalon model.)
Old 11-23-2019, 02:39 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Originally I tried a small needle nose pliers to work the spring but I couldn't get a good grip.

I ended up just leaving it in place while I drove the pin out with a punch, then I kept my hand over the spring while I pulled the punch back out. It was easy as could be.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:10 PM
GregP74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One final quick question. My pin has grooves on the ends but didn't have any c clips. Next time I place an order for something from Anschutz should I get a couple clips to put on there or am I ok without since it didn't come with them?