I need suggestions for a new laptop computer - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:37 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
It doesn't look like a keyboard you can sit on your lap on the couch and type away. Looks like it has to lay on a hard surface. could be a problem.
Works fine on a lap or a pr of thighs. I tested its versatility and stick togetherness when @ BB.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:45 PM
laylow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a huge fan of chromebooks. Check them out.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:30 AM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
When my Dell was a little less than one year old, I replaced the 1 TB hard drive with a 500 GB SSD and got a caddy to use the old 1 TB drive in the DVD slot. Like this, I have plenty of extra storage built in and accessible. It works so well since one year, that I will also "upgrade" my other lap top the same way.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Sub sailor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, this is quite a bit of good information to digest! It sounds like I need to try to look for a computer with a SSD and then decide what other features such as storage and RAM would be optimal for my budget. I am leaning away from a HP based on my current experience with the noisy internals.

I appreciate all of the comments so far, and if anyone has more info to share, I am listening!
Old 11-22-2019, 10:42 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If it is a failing power supply a replacement may be sourced that is better quality?
The fans are simple little CHEAP things, funny they last at all. As said, may just be dirty in there, after all, the fan draws air and whatever is in the air, through the machine. If that is all it is and if you dont fix it what are you going to do, toss it? Downside of breaking into it is that you cant or you break it, if it was going to be tossed, no loss.
My rule of thumb for decades now is I'll fix 'whatever' (or try) once and decide from that experience if I 'might' go at it again in the future. Unless 'whatever' is a real piece of junk that I dont want anyway.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
If it is a failing power supply a replacement may be sourced that is better quality?
The fans are simple little CHEAP things, funny they last at all. As said, may just be dirty in there, after all, the fan draws air and whatever is in the air, through the machine. If that is all it is and if you dont fix it what are you going to do, toss it? Downside of breaking into it is that you cant or you break it, if it was going to be tossed, no loss.
My rule of thumb for decades now is I'll fix 'whatever' (or try) once and decide from that experience if I 'might' go at it again in the future. Unless 'whatever' is a real piece of junk that I dont want anyway.
Doesn't hurt to try.
Laptops are notorious for getting dirty from sucking in clothing lint, dust, dry skin flaking off, etc., so I was told when I had mine cleaned after I cleaned it. She said I did a good, not excellent, job but still charged me full price.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:26 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Full price! Yeah....but I'll bet she did it with a smile
Old 11-22-2019, 05:44 PM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle0199 View Post
I would highly recommend a Dell E6420 refurbished (Condition Code A or B, not C) from Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1683484...-880-_-Product

I've bought five of them for family, and a friend has bought three more. Started the purchases about two years ago and all are working well.

This particular one has an I7 Processor, 8GB RAM, 512GB Solid State Drive, and Windows 10. $285 and a couple of bucks for shipping.

Backstory is that I was using a Dell E6420 in my government contractor job. It worked well and I hated to see it go when it was replaced by a newer computer so I started looking online for one to use for kids and grandkids, then found the refurbs on the Newegg site. Some I've bought have been condition code B but even those were better than the government one I used every day, and I think I took good care of mine.
I'm not sure if this is universal, but I ran into an issue with a Dell refurb I purchased from a reputable source. It came with the original O/S and suite of drivers but I needed to update, so I called Dell support to inquire about my options. They immediately asked my name and then told me since I was not the original owner they could not help me. CLICK. Not even an "I'm sorry." or "Goodbye."

I have not attempted to deal with them again, and probably won't. I think Dell PCs are as good as any on the market, and probably better than many, but that experience ended it for me.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:19 PM
Plinkhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've purchase 5 Dell laptops for family, including the one I'm typing on now. Every one of these has had major problems just after the warranty expired. I had to replace the hard drive on this one a few months ago and it's 3 yrs old. Google Dell's ultra sensitive touch pad issues...been going on for yrs and none of their fixes work. Not only Dell but it seems the other brands have fixes. I've had a lot of different brands (IBMs, Gateway, E-Systems, HPs, Compacs, Toshiba) over the yrs and Dell is the worst by far. I still have a 10 yr old Toshiba that works and never one problem except for being out dated. Most of them were purchased to upgrade, not because of malfunction. One of my daughters tossed her Dell and bought a Mac. Not my cup of tea but it cost a lot more than I want to spend.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 PM
trh9905

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Take a look at the PCís that are used in any medium sized business. For the most part you wonít see anything but Dell. The companies that competed with Dell in the world of business PCís are gone! That includes IBM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2019, 12:19 AM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's probably nothing really wrong with the old one - the "radiator" is probably full of dust. I was an IT technician for many years.

With that said, my recommendation is to NEVER buy a consumer grade computer from anybody. That's pretty much everything sold by mass merchandisers, big box stores, etc.

Buy a COMMERCIAL grade laptop from either HP, Dell, or Lenovo (I prefer HP, myself). They do not cost $300. You might be able to find one for $800, but you'll most likely spend $1,000 or $1,200 - but you'll have a laptop you can rely on for many years. Same goes for desktops. Oh, and if you NEED the portability of a laptop, buy one - but if you do not, buy a desktop. Less expensive for the same capability, and FAR more reliable.

The reason Apple gets such high praise - and the rep for costing so much - is for the simple fact that they do not make consumer grade crap like everybody else does.
I run both Apples and Microsoft - and I have the exact same agreement with both of them: They keep doing stupid stuff, and I keep cussing at them both! Pick your poison, I'm irritated with both. Apple does some completely stupid, brain dead things that would get them laughed out of business if they were anybody but Apple - but instead its a "Good Thing (tm)". OTOH, everybody is so used to Microsoft doing stupid things that on the rare occasion they actually manage to get something right, there's still nobody happy!

Tablets and smartphones are a complete waste of money unless you want an overpriced youtube viewer. If you want to accomplish real work, buy a real computer.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:58 AM
trh9905

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree Zorba! Real work warrants getting a real computer. You donít purchase those from a place that sells appliances or groceries.

Iím an old retired IT guy and I left my PCís and related tools with my employer. It was my way of turning my back on Dell and Microsoft.

Shortly after retirement I turned in my Droid and purchased an IPhone and iPad Pro. You might be cutting the current Apple products a bit short. I donít debug or crank code anymore but itís easy to see why the PC industry has been turned on its ear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2019, 09:27 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
I run both Apples and Microsoft - and I have the exact same agreement with both of them: They keep doing stupid stuff, and I keep cussing at them both! Pick your poison, I'm irritated with both. Apple does some completely stupid, brain dead things
Yeah on cussing many of Apple's so called 'improvements'!

MacBook user since 05.

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 11-23-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
There's probably nothing really wrong with the old one - the "radiator" is probably full of dust. I was an IT technician for many years.

With that said, my recommendation is to NEVER buy a consumer grade computer from anybody. That's pretty much everything sold by mass merchandisers, big box stores, etc.

Buy a COMMERCIAL grade laptop from either HP, Dell, or Lenovo (I prefer HP, myself). They do not cost $300. You might be able to find one for $800, but you'll most likely spend $1,000 or $1,200 - but you'll have a laptop you can rely on for many years. Same goes for desktops. Oh, and if you NEED the portability of a laptop, buy one - but if you do not, buy a desktop. Less expensive for the same capability, and FAR more reliable.

The reason Apple gets such high praise - and the rep for costing so much - is for the simple fact that they do not make consumer grade crap like everybody else does.
I run both Apples and Microsoft - and I have the exact same agreement with both of them: They keep doing stupid stuff, and I keep cussing at them both! Pick your poison, I'm irritated with both. Apple does some completely stupid, brain dead things that would get them laughed out of business if they were anybody but Apple - but instead its a "Good Thing (tm)". OTOH, everybody is so used to Microsoft doing stupid things that on the rare occasion they actually manage to get something right, there's still nobody happy!

Tablets and smartphones are a complete waste of money unless you want an overpriced youtube viewer. If you want to accomplish real work, buy a real computer.
Here's what I typically saw in 23 yrs working at a semiconductor mfg facility. They make every electronic component you find in a pc, including high rel military components (which aren't available to the public). Cut from the Dell web site where someone asked the difference between one their consumer and business laptops...

There is no difference to the business version - it's just warranty and software side. It's the same device.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Fredvon4
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used to build and sell to co-workers computers before I got smart and decided being "help Desk" all night long was not a good business plan

That was MS Dos 1.2 o 3.6 dayz a hard drive of 20 MegBytes might cost over $400....thunk on that a tad

My first motherboard that could access 748 Kilobytes of Ram and use the 276 Kilobytes as a cache...well each of the 16 64Kilo Ram chips was $13 or over $200 for first Meg of RAM

Fast forward 30 years...I have a home of two humans and a mesh network with 5 computers and a lot of other devices like printers, tablets, TVs, cell phones, security , Alexa, smart floor sweepers

Discount electronics in Austin serves the resale community with a LOT of corporate trade in hardware so XYZ company has the newest and best on the market... They have so much inventory that 1 or 2 year old Hardware sell at 20% or less than initial cost....

Hint screw the online catalog...they have way too much stuff

They are paid to help so CALL
(512)-637-5226

tell the young guy or gal who you are, your age, your expected use, and let that nerd sell you a warrantied laptop, desktop, tablet, spare monitor or whatever.....

I am writing this on Toshiba 15 " laptop with AMD A8 CPU and 16 gigs of RAM, 500MB hard drive, 1TB external drive, SCEPTER 22x16 HDMI second monitor.....whole shooting match was less than $550 2 years ago...I am right now fussing with them to upgrade...Simply cus I want much faster boot from cold time....seriously looking at Chrome Books...

https://discountelectronics.com/