Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2021, 02:20 PM
ky-shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
10-22 Issues

Not trying to start a conflict, knowing how people like to customize their 10-22ís, but seeking genuine input.

I have a 20+ year old 10/22 carbine, all factory except a VQ target hammer, buffer and auto bolt release, all trouble free.

I have a 3 year old 10/22 with VQ hammer, buffer, and auto bolt release that has been giving failures to fire through light hammer strikes and sometimes no mark on the shell at all. When installing the VQ parts I kept all factory springs in place.

Iíve tried to diagnose the problem by cleaning, etcÖ Finally removed the VQ hammer and that did improve my failures to fire. In fact it now works flawlessly with CCI ammo, but not so well with bulk ammo. Then I decided to remove the VQ buffer and return to the stock bolt stop. Now Iím getting much, much better performance from all ammo including federal auto match which is all I can find to purchase now.

Any thoughts? I expected the factory hammer to help but I never thought the VQ buffer could be a hindrance. Now im
100% stock except the auto bolt release and itís performing the best in a long time.

It was suggested by a friend to keep the VQ target hammer and add a VQ firing pin; frankly Iím tired of going down the money pit road.

Im trusting Bill Ruger probably got it right the first time, at least on this particular firearm! It doesnít seem to like aftermarket parts.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a carbine about 20 years ago and the trigger was horrible so I installed a power custom hammer and that made a good trigger.

I have recently bought two more carbines and they both have very nice triggers.
They will both stay factory stock.

Sorry I canít advise on yours, but someone will.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:06 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Put the rifle back to stock. Modify it one step at a time. There's no bolt buffer on a 10/22 there's a bolt stop pin and the bolt never hits it if the rifle is correctly sprung.

A Kidd drop in trigger kit and a Kidd 'normal' wt spring is all you need. I'm always amazed at 57 plus years & 7 million Ruger 10/22's and people still think any aftermarket part will make it 'better' I like VQ parts, I like Kidd parts, 10+ 10/22's and a Kidd SuperGrade never had an issue.
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2021, 09:06 AM
JMynes
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My guess is carbon ring. Or excessive headspace.
I recently bought a used 10/22 with a Kidd receiver and GM barrel. Got a great deal, or so I thought. 30% misfires, no matter the ammo.
Everything looked good, but when I measured the headspace it was .050
I considered sending the bolt toCPC, and I still might, but the quickest cure was to order a Kidd bolt. The Kidd bolt cured it.
Of course, the Kidd bolt came with a pinned firing pin, extractor upgrade, precision machining, as well as correct headspace. So itís hard to tell what actually fixed the problem.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:11 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Here’s my guess. I think that you’re 1022 receiver and or bolt is slightly out of spec. Meaning that the trigger group isn’tIsn’t quite in the right place and so the hammer isn’t hitting the Firing pin Square.

Send the bolt to CPC . But first

Buy the 18076 spring kit from Wolf, put the VQ hammer back in.

The bolt stop pin , aka , buffer, really should have zero effect on the issues you are having , because it shouldn't ever come in contact with the hammer., the recoil spring or guide rod.

It just came to me, in your re assembly of the trigger group whic way did you put the hammer sring assembly into the trigger body, that little slot on the keeper should be pointed up.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 12-05-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:37 PM
ky-shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Hereís my guess. I think that youíre 1022 receiver and or bolt is slightly out of spec. Meaning that the trigger group isnítIsnít quite in the right place and so the hammer isnít hitting the Firing pin Square.

Send the bolt to CPC . But first

Buy the 18076 spring kit from Wolf, put the VQ hammer back in.

The bolt stop pin , aka , buffer, really should have zero effect on the issues you are having , because it shouldn't ever come in contact with the hammer., the recoil spring or guide rod.

It just came to me, in your re assembly of the trigger group whic way did you put the hammer sring assembly into the trigger body, that little slot on the keeper should be pointed up.
When replacing the hammer strut, the gun is in upside down position- do you mean the slot is up while the gun is upside down? If so, then yes, thatís how I put it back.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:56 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky-shooter View Post
When replacing the hammer strut, the gun is in upside down position- do you mean the slot is up while the gun is upside down? If so, then yes, thatís how I put it back.
Nope , gun right side up that slot facing up. Also thee hammer strut has a smooth surface and an edgey surface on the end that goes int the hammer ,from it being stamped. Smooth the the edges .
Old 12-05-2021, 06:08 PM
ky-shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Nope , gun right side up that slot facing up. Also thee hammer strut has a smooth surface and an edgey surface on the end that goes int the hammer ,from it being stamped. Smooth the the edges .
Ok, Iíll try reversing it if I have more trouble, I shot 50 rounds this morning of federal auto match without a hiccup. Iím back to 100% factory except the auto bolt release. I have a 6# trigger pull but itís crisp and fine for my intended uses.