.22 Mag accuracy(sigh) - Page 12 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-25-2021, 04:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I do body shots on rabbits out to ~130 yards. I have to add that I typically hunt the rabbits around sunset. So light is far from optimal.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:44 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Is that a Rossi i see

Great targets.. and the Anschutz...nice shooting the both of you

Have to get my Marlin out..it dose moa sometimes

Thanks for the show gentlemen-

pipestone
Old 11-26-2021, 12:14 AM
cpt-t
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning T-Bolt 22 Mag

I am looking for some expert advice. I have just bought a used made in Japan Browning T-Bolt 22 Mag Target/Varmint Rifle with a heavy Barrel that is in very good condition . I would like to know just what size of groups & range I can expect from my rifle. I have very limited experience with a 22 Mag. Any help with my questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for letting me join your forum.
ken
Old 11-26-2021, 01:12 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt-t View Post
I am looking for some expert advice. I have just bought a used made in Japan Browning T-Bolt 22 Mag Target/Varmint Rifle with a heavy Barrel that is in very good condition . I would like to know just what size of groups & range I can expect from my rifle. I have very limited experience with a 22 Mag. Any help with my questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for letting me join your forum.
ken
Just my two cents. A lot depends on ammo...rimfires are especially notorious for like one ammo over another.
My experience...I use mine (a heavy barrel Savage) most at distances around 100m (110yds for you Yanks)...and I've gotten anything from fist sized groups to 1".
But as you will read on this forum, the manufacture for rimfire ammo is pretty inconsistent...it's a hunting round, not a target round and no one makes match ammo in WMR.
How this plays out (for me) is that my gun really likes the 30gr Hornady V-max...I've had quite a few 1" groups at 100m...but if I actually average everything out I would say it shoots consistently 1.5moa with that ammo.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:26 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1.5" to 3.0" depending on ammo lot. The ammo is manufactured on mass assemblies where the tolerances are not as strict as one would expect from match grade ammo. Any good rifle can only do so much.

Think of it this way. Every round is very accurate. The problem comes when trying to match the ballistic characteristics of that individual round to every other round in your box of ammo.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:39 PM
chicharrones
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt-t View Post
ken

Unfortunately due to current ammo costs, you'll have to shoot groups on paper with a variety of ammo to find out.

Fortunately, you'll have an excuse to find out what your new-to-you gun is capable of.