Do you think this 917M2S has potential for better groups? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:03 PM
Yankee Bill
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you think this 917M2S has potential for better groups?

I wanted to ask you guys who own a 917M2 / 917M2S your opinion on the accuracy of a 917M2S I'm considering buying. The gun is supposedly in almost as new condition, and looks like it, and with it only having been minimally shot (<100 rds.) by seller trying out some different ammo.

My concern is its current accuracy with Hornady & CCI ammo, as displayed on this target which seller shot @ 50 yds., as I will be using one of these for hunting ammo. For referrence, the spacing between the rings of this target outside the bullseye are 3/8" apart.

Based on your experience with these guns, do you think this gun may have the potential to substantially tighten up these groups once the barrel is "broken in".

This will be my first 917M2 so I have no prior experience with them or the HM2.

I'll be using it for squirrels so would like to see some tighter groups.

Appreciate any input you may have to offer.

I apologize for the blurry target picture.

Thanks,
YB
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0722[24753].JPEG (37.9 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by Yankee Bill; 11-11-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 917M2S was my first rifle in that cartridge, and it was a capable rifle. The trigger needed some help, and finding the right ammunition could be a chore, but once you did you were set.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:06 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Dont have the S, but after i put the rifle basix trigger in , my m2 is stellar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2021, 09:34 PM
Yankee Bill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I forgot to mention it, but these groups were shot with a rifle basix trigger installed by seller.

Sadly, Eley shot the best here. I know noone has a crystal ball, but I'd hate to buy the gun if that's as good as the groups will get @ 50 yds with Hornady or CCI that I'd be using.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:04 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Mine shoots well with this stuff, everything inside of a nickel, but mines blue,and sports an 8 -32 x44 Mueller, and thats of a bench a rest and a rear bag

It did not like the 20 grain stuff. But did like the 17 grain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AED7E288-4F24-4089-951E-4EB202603049.jpeg (102.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 7E580894-C9A0-488C-A3D5-88C1C4FA2871.jpg (501.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-11-2021, 10:19 PM
Yankee Bill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Mine shoots well with this stuff, everything inside of a nickel, but mines blue,and sports an 8 -32 x44 Mueller, and thats of a bench a rest and a rear bag

It did not like the 20 grain stuff. But did like the 17 grain.
Yeah I picked up 400 rds of that Hornady also while I'm looking for a gun. That's about the only ammo I could find at the time.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:40 PM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
In today's market, unless you are paying an astronomical price, you'd likely be able to sell it quickly, if it doesn't meet your accuracy needs.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:01 AM
Yankee Bill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
In today's market, unless you are paying an astronomical price, you'd likely be able to sell it quickly, if it doesn't meet your accuracy needs.
That's true. The price is fair. But I'm in a dilemma as if that group is the best it will do with Hornady, I could probably do just as well with a new Savage Mark II for 1/2 the price, while waiting to find a 452, which is what I really want.

The struggle is real
Old 11-12-2021, 02:57 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
It all depends on when the ammo in those targets was made. The early hm2 was faster and wildly inconsistent. The fact that it grouped well shows its a good barrel. And so with good ammo, should group well now. Imho , this batch of hm2 from Hornady is quite good. Hm2 , unlike 22lr isnt being made continuously, like the hunting ammo it is , its made when the demand for the popular target plinking, practice ammo is down. They run a big batch, and thats it for a while.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:01 AM
Chickenhater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking at the groups leads me to believe there was a peripheral failing. Poor rest, poor positioning in the rest, scope that lacks parallax correction (or not set for this distance). Or possibly a bedding issue.
The difference in POI between cci and hornady is quite large and in my testing they strike with the same POI at 50yds. However, one lot to the next can vary, so I'm not saying this is a hard and fast rule, but it would lead me to investigate other causes.
Also poor lots of ammo, older run stuff mostly, will cause large groups. Inspect the cases after firing. There was a debate regarding case failure on another thread.
So in summary, I feel the barreled action is not likely the cause and that the issue can be corrected.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:22 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Basically what we are saying, it looks good to us, so if you dont want it , can we get the guys phone #
Old 11-12-2021, 10:18 AM
Yankee Bill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys, appreciate all the helpful info.

I'm guess I'm so used to seeing pics here of groups from tack-driver HM2's that I may be holding my expictations a bit too high.

Sadly, I have to drive 140 miles round trip to the range here, which greatly limits my range time and ability to troubleshoot subpar accuracy issues. Therefore, I was hoping to find a gun/ammo combination that's a known shooter.

But I'm leaning a bit more towards this one after hearing your input.

YB

Last edited by Yankee Bill; 11-12-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:15 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With not many rounds thru the barrel, it is impossible to predict what it might become. I do not have the rifle in question, but do have an Anschutz 1502. I tried different ammo and it all came out the same. Shooting 10-shot groups, 8 would be in a nickel size hole with two flyers an inch or so away from the bull...50yd groups...no matter the ammo.. From that experience, I believe that the ammo is inconsistent. Those groups included Eley. Could it be the rifle? Maybe. but I really think it is the ammo.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:36 AM
LarryG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Years ago, I had the opportunity to buy a few of Marlin SS 17HM2 rifles when wholesale sports in Canada was blowing them out. I bought 3 guns at 200$, and sold two of them for $300 (there was a demand for them and the sale was not well advertised), hence I got a free gun. Later on, there was another blowout and I bought some more, together with a few of my friends because I was very impressed with the guns. They were as well, btw.

As a result, I tested the accuracy of a few of them, and kept the one that had the nicest stock and sold the rest. As I recall, they were all shooting around 1/2" at 50 yards with original hornady or eley ammo, right out of the box. Almost no difference between them.

However, I found one blued Marlin at that time at an even lower price, which my nephew bought from me. He was very disappointed, as that gun never shot very well, no matter what he tried. The groups you posted look more like the groups the blued marlin shot.

So personally, based on that relatively poor groupings of the one blued gun vs all the stainless ones I tested, I would hold out for a SS version of the same gun and pay the extra money if required to be rewarded with a more accurate gun. And, because they also have an excellent finish on that laminated stock, vs. the basic finish of the hardwood stock.

However, I have to say that the target photo is pretty low resolution and perhaps I misinterpreted the accuracy produced, and perhaps it will be fine shooter after all.

Just my 0.02
Old 11-21-2021, 08:53 AM
jm17

TPC Rating: 
93% (13)
What optics are you using? When got my cz 452 it had a Tasco scope on it. My groups were similar to yours. I put a Leupold Vari-xII 4 -12 AO. My groups really improved. My gun shoots very tight groups with Hornady 17gr vmax and likes the 15.5gr ntx even better.