Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:44 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdlt31 View Post
I shoot CMP Bullseye every Wednesday, and over the years I have tried different pistols until I found out what really fits. And I found a Buckmark was my pistol. This year I finished 2nd in this years team competition,missed first by less than one point.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1636695671
That 50 footer is a tough target. I think I'm going to use those for some practice as it's actually smaller MOA between rings vs the 25 yard target. Plus, it doesn't have to travel as far at my range, so that saves time.

Good shooting....

I think I'm going to be moving towards Bullseye myself. I've been thinking about it and putting some rounds downrange one handed here and there. It's a new challenge, and I'll probably ease into it with time.

A couple of questions for the more accomplished bullseye shooters, and I know there are at least a few on the forum.....

First, did any part of bullseye training diminish in any way your two handed shooting scores? I can't see why it would, but wanted to ask. I still want to progress on both and wondered if anyone had any problems doing both.

Second, what way did you sort out the mental game of shot process, refining it, etc? I somewhat do this with two handed shooting, and was just curious how much people define and/or change it. Since the mental game and visualization and such seem more important in bullseye, I'm just wondering mostly how long a person tries a process before thinking about a change.

I've been looking for local to me shoots, and got lucky today when out shooting rifle. A guy a couple lanes down had an obvious bullseye setup... box, spotting scope, appropriate pistol and targets... etc. So I made a comment that it was good to see when he was off the line stretching his legs. Talked to him some and got some scoop. There is a local club that holds matches, much closer than I expected. So I had found them, but missed the mention of bullseye matches.

And he was obviously happy someone else was interested in bullseye shooting. When I asked about his pistol he offered to let me toss a few rounds out of it. So I guess it's true that people are looking for others to join in. I declined as I felt bad for taking the time I did, but will probably run into him if I go check out a few matches.

So it looks like a start might in the cards soon. I recently picked up another pistol that would do (HS Victor) for iron sight shooting. I'm planning on picking an optic for my Mark II at some point, so I'll have two decent platforms to see whether to stay iron sight or optics.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:21 AM
crankythunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hey Signmaster

Couple of good questions you got there, let me see if I can address them for you.

All time invested in bullseye shooting will improve your two handed scores directly. Bullseye is so focused on the fundamentals of shooting that the skills learned from bullseye transfer directly to all other shooting competitions with the exception of shotgun.

As for the mental aspect, i think that is unique to each and every individual. As a matter of fact, I find that i have to adapt my mental outlook every time I shoot. Some days a fierce determination and stranglehold grip delivers the 10s and Xs, other days a more lassez-fare Alfred E. Newman "What, Me Worry?" attitude sends the bullets to the middle. Most of the time is is somewheres in between those two extremes.

I have a pre competition routine that I follow that starts the morning of the competition with a healthy fruit and protein breakfast (not to much), a chicken sandwich with a couple of banana's for lunch, and if it is later in the evening another chicken sandwich or other source of protein but not too much or too heavy. I also start relaxing my mind in anticipation of the match, picture every shot, and go through the routines for timed and rapids.

While I may be a fierce competitor, I really enjoy the whole social aspect of the sport, how friendly everybody is before the matches, the smiles exchanged as we change targets, the teasing and torment that occurs when we score the targets, even the interaction between shooters and between the shooters and the guy calling the match. Make no mistake there are a couple of sourpuss's out there but by and large, most shooters are friendly, happy, and fun to be around even if they are a little bit weird.

Regards,
Crankster
Old 11-12-2021, 11:51 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the input Crankythunder. I more or less assumed that any BE work would translate to other aspects, but wasn't really sure.

As far as shot process and such, I find that I adapt day by day in some respects as well. With the range I shoot at I have no idea if I'm going to be next to another target shooter with a defined pace easy to work around, or a master blaster John Wick wannabe with an obnoxious muzzle break that blasts my way. I hardly even notice most 9mm or smaller.

For now I'm just getting the basic start, and will probably check out some of the matches. For the time being I'll probably just be shooting 22, and I don't think the 22 only matches start up again until next summer. But I can practice at my local range, and get the ball rolling.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:08 AM
toivo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpistol View Post
I do have a Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officers Elite Target and I haven't seen any conversion barrels for my specific 1911 frame.
I have a Nelson kit on a regular Springfield Range Officer, and it works great. I don't know what the Elite Target is. Is it the same frame?

On the older Range Officers you need a different recoil spring -- something to do with Springfield using titanium firing pins and heavy hammer springs -- but I don't know if they're still like that. In any case, the people at Nelson will advise you when you order and include the proper spring in your kit. They're great people to deal with.

Last edited by toivo; 11-13-2021 at 03:08 AM. Reason: spelling