The Watering Hole 12-2-2019 - Page 17 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Funny that it takes more than one person to replace svete to correct everyone.
We take turns usually depending on whom's getting corrected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Ranger13 View Post
Absently, I was gently shaking my Flonase and almost squirted a proper measure of Super Glue up my nose. Thankfully my cat-like reflexes outsmarted my reptilian brain. That doesn’t always happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1 View Post
Haha!

Multitasking is over rated and could results in bad boo-boos.
2X ditto. I no longer crack a kinked hose like a bullwhip after ripping my rotator cuff completely loose and tearing one of the bicep tendons half in two pieces, painfully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Wadcutter at 25 yards did the trick, and I won a 6-month extension to my range membership. Nice reward for its hard work.
Nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Sihler View Post
Turned out to be a bright sunny but cool morning. Tried for hair cut, seems the barber took a fall & messed up hand/arm.According to note on door.

Took old Jeep in for oil change and a new fuel filter-yearly maintenance.After lunch,Gracie wanted out.Several squirrels in front yard, she had 3 treed in one tree,Broke out the Red Rider and worried them ,got several good sounding body shots,All were chased out of the yard.....need to reload.Grace almost got some fur off one.
Good Red Ryder rat report.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atonic View Post
Some of us younguns could benefit for your decades of experience, oh venerable one.
And I could possibly benefit from a video camera, possibly, and conjoin the thousands of others on utube except perhaps, for my XXX rated audio. I berate myself in the summer for my mouth when I'm a bit too loud with nasty expletives when something isn't going right or I screwed it up.

Broke a sweat and ran out of breath, panting actually, roof raking crusty snow and then blowing and shoveling the heavy roof snow from the porch n sidewalk.
Ticker is still up to the task after snow testing #5 this year.

Got the FedX box to send my defective puter with battery to CA by ground. Big sticker will be on the outside of said box warning of a defective Li battery, ground or vessel only.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
And I could possibly benefit from a video camera, possibly, and conjoin the thousands of others on utube except perhaps, for my XXX rated audio.
I dunno. Could be fun.

"Then you put the ...bleep bleep... why won't this bleep bleep bleep... go into the bleep bleep where it fits?"

just gotta find the right bleep tone to dub in during the edit.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:42 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good range reports to those I've bypassed, especially the envious 410 clays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I dunno. Could be fun.

"Then you put the ...bleep bleep... why won't this bleep bleep bleep... go into the bleep bleep where it fits?"

just gotta find the right bleep tone to dub in during the edit.
I hear I do a great tiger with a 5 gal bucket for an echo chamber/reverb making fish camp kids un-drowsy. A growl befitting mwa vs a bleep? Such editing skilz are a whoosh.

Loosened up smore frozen deck snow and blew it away while making room for more, much more.

597 zero is back to dead nuts with Eley hp @ 20˚ on the button.

I'm cooking via a delivered to the door pizza, or za, as a bud used to called it.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:22 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Warm & windy here today. Presently 72°, RH 50%, wind S 13 G 22. Think I over did it yesterday and probably the day before too, so have backed it down early today. Have a low key social thing [DSC] that I'm taking the bride to later for some good munchies, vino & conversation.
--

Glad to hear you got some relief, Phil. Hope you've worked a solid nap in this afternoon as well. Sounds like you could use it.
--

Nice shooting, sails! Which gun won? And in the idle curiosity dept. what kind of accuracy are you getting w/the Beretta 81 & what ammo are you using?
--

Thanks for the history lesson, AZ. Very interesting and I can't say that I knew any of that tho it may have been mentioned very briefly en passant when I was a yute taking American history and certainly not to the degree your link provided. Good read, that.
--

My def. of successful multi-tasking would not rule out some short-order cooks I've witnessed at various Waffle House's™. Not all mind you, but some, those who have worked out how to get the most done efficiently in that small space w/a minimum of extraneous movement(s) and get the order correct each time. I've watched some that were so fluid it bordered on art and others that were train wrecks. Still, you are correct about any multi-tasker having to do one thing at a time, Jinx and likely that lowest common denominator thing rears its ugly head more oft than not as well.
--

Spent about 40 minutes earlier watching a young Cooper's hawk [aka chicken hawk] in the back doing its best to get a small bird meal. It got pretty funny at times as it was trying various approaches, inclusive of flying into the vines and shrubbery covering much of the back fence trying to flush one of many sparrows that had taken refuge in them out into the open. It even tried jumping off both sides of the fence only to see the small birds trade sides as it did so. I didn't see it get one of them this time, but it does happen. And its happened at least twice on the tiled concrete table top and a couple more in close proximity. Nature. And those birds have adapted to changes in their environs even tho not too long ago some wildlife folks said they would not move to town. Plenty breed and nest in the cities, these days. Bet we had two hundred dove in the back yesterday, several large flights came and went. The hawks take note; they have hawk eyes, ya know.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookness View Post
< snippage >

Nice shooting, sails! Which gun won? And in the idle curiosity dept. what kind of accuracy are you getting w/the Beretta 81 & what ammo are you using?
--
Wook - the GP100 was the one that hit. Had its sights adjusted "just so" for 7 yards, and the Wadcutters are slow enough that POI = POA at 25 as well.

The Beretta was shooting about 4" at 7 yards. I've been using Fiocchi ammo, coz the PPU is far dirtier, and the S&B was out of stock when I wanted to try some. Fiocchi also works nicely in the GP100 and the Single-Seven, shooting into 3" at 7 yards with the GP (target below, sadly none from the Beretta)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GP100 - 9 at 7yds - 191205.jpg (298.9 KB, 3 views)

Old 12-05-2019, 05:58 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atonic View Post
I don't fish and never been hunting. Yet I can watch thermocouples stabilize in a calibration bath, which is slightly less exciting than watching paint dry.
Ten years or so ago Omega changed the filler in our iron constantine thermocouples. Immersion in a water bath shifted the readings. For years they checked these things in a ice bath and in a boiling water bath and suddenly we are off 5 degrees F.

I dried a few out with a propane torch and wrapped some saran wrap round the probe and suddenly they passed again. So now quality has a bunch of finger cots they use to keep the exposed junction/filler interface dry. Probe condoms.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One more working day and then the weekend. Payroll clerk didn't pay me for three days vacation I took over the three day plant shutdown. I'm so thankful that not getting paid for three days isn't a crisis event. There was a time when it would been.

Still playing with my Raspberry pi 4, Kodi, tvheadend, a Haupage dual tuner and a Silicondust ip tuner. By setting up two networks I have my west and south pointing antennas serving up signals that are strong.

What does a tech do for fun after work? Play with more tech.

Still doing a bit of coughing but I'm almost back to normal (for me) again.

Last edited by Szumi; 12-06-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:22 PM
dbmjr1
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
It's a bit annoying at the range. They don't really like disassembly on the firing line....

Plus, this way I have another excuse to take it with me next time.

It's one of these things:

That's a nice sight pusher, but I would not attempt to move a sight on a Springfield manufactured firearm with it.
If you do, you'll know why.
We've got one that is massive, and we've still got to cut out the OEM sights on a Springfield slide.

I went into werk for a bit. Came home and parkerized a Model 19 revolver. It came out good. I used the new Harbor Freight Stock Pots, instead of my big bluing tanks.
Heated up in 1/4 the time, using the electric immersion heaters I bought.
All that is left is reassembly.

My buddy who had my Extension Plank passed by to drop it off. It was stolen off a job, so he replaced it with a brand new one. That's a chunk of change.

When I finish this job, I'll let him take my Werner 32' Extension Ladder, (Blue Tip), and my Werner Ladder Jacks.

So long as I can get them when I need them, I'm OK with him using them.

Karens' making TACOS !!!!!!!!!!

Yee Haw !!!!!!!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I remember playing in the dirt as a child digging tiny holes and tunnels for my plastic army men little realizing later in life I would designing roads, fire breaks, etc, and flood control facilities.
Meanwhile Don was thinking about how to blow them up.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:46 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Busy day, went by and paid for the ordered furniture, then by LGS to pick up a revolver they wanted Thumper to look at with bulged barrel (one I purchased and returned sometime back). Stopped by the house for a Chicken salad sandwich (homemade by a friend) then up to Thumpers, where he looked over their revolver and came to the same conclusion I had. Took it back to the LGS, explained what had been said then made an offer on a Winchester 61 they had on consignment, returned home. A couple of hours later the Wife and I went to dinner at our favorite Deli/Bakery and got a Pizza, during dinner the LGS called and said the seller had accepted my offer. Cool, its a good but not great example that I'll not be afraid to shoot and a heck of a lot better condition than one that a gun shop south of us wanted more for. Tomorrow hopefully will be mostly a day of rest...
Old 12-05-2019, 07:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Busy day, went by and paid for the ordered furniture, then by LGS to pick up a revolver they wanted Thumper to look at with bulged barrel (one I purchased and returned sometime back). Stopped by the house for a Chicken salad sandwich (homemade by a friend) then up to Thumpers, where he looked over their revolver and came to the same conclusion I had. Took it back to the LGS, explained what had been said then made an offer on a Winchester 61 they had on consignment, returned home. A couple of hours later the Wife and I went to dinner at our favorite Deli/Bakery and got a Pizza, during dinner the LGS called and said the seller had accepted my offer. Cool, its a good but not great example that I'll not be afraid to shoot and a heck of a lot better condition than one that a gun shop south of us wanted more for. Tomorrow hopefully will be mostly a day of rest...
"You're" buying firearms like you're going to the chair.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Eagles View Post
........Then I got a surprise. "In case I don't get you again, I hope you have a very merry Christmas and God bless." I hope they were not listening in on our conversation. Thought companies were scared to say things like that as they might offend someone.
My wife was told to stop telling people to "have a blessed day" when ending phone calls, because someone might be offended.

Brent
Old 12-05-2019, 07:26 PM
mdew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Howdy all, been a couple weeks since posting. Bust deer hunting, the two that I was after I only saw twice and didn’t have a good shot. Archery season reopened so back to shot range hunting.

Took the Daniel Defense DD5 to a local authorized dealer to install an adjustable gas block, to my surprise they got it done in about 90 minutes. Was worth the wait as the dealer was 45 minutes from home.

The gunsmith at the dealer noticed the Nikon glass on my AR and told me their purchasing agent was told by the Nikon rep that they were getting out of the firearms optics business, due to political pressures. See how this one goes.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Wayne Sihler

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Good shooting report, SD.

Good tech reports, Szumi.

I remember playing in the dirt as a child digging tiny holes and tunnels for my plastic army men little realizing later in life I would designing roads, fire breaks, etc, and flood control facilities.
I was too. Firecrackers and 22RF. Dropped burning plastic on them from old model cars,
Old 12-05-2019, 07:45 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post

I used to chase the tail of that casting dragon. Problem is that all revolvers are different, so you end up with either ONE revolver, or MANY different alloys and loads.
I solved ALL of that when I began powder coating my bullets. Now casting is fun again, and I can feed an entire stable of revolvers with the same loads.
I was about to chase the tail of the dragon when I got back into reloading 8 years ago. I was ready to order a pot and molds, then found Missouri Bullets coated bullets, and never got back into casting. They keep the mailman in shape delivering 4-500 count boxes packed in a priority mail box.

Quote:
Good schute this morning.

The GP was on form, as I had missed the 2" ornament on the weekend with a target pistol, so I thought maybe the tank would do it. Wadcutter at 25 yards did the trick, and I won a 6-month extension to my range membership. Nice reward for its hard work.
Good hit on the ornament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post

2X ditto. I no longer crack a kinked hose like a bullwhip after ripping my rotator cuff completely loose and tearing one of the bicep tendons half in two pieces, painfully.
When I was working construction , we were hanging drywall in new house, with a 4 gang box on 1 heavy cord for power. At the end of the day I was coiling up my 50'r, and down to about the last 10' that was tangled with the other cords that were plugged into the box. I gave it a yank whipping it at the same time, and the hard plug end came back like a bull whip hitting me in the last place one would want to be hit, dead smack in the family jewels. I never done that again.