Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2020, 07:39 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Just a few questions.
1. So if I buy a stripped receiver that was originally serialized as a rifle then I need an SBR stamp to turn it into a charger?
2. If I buy a stripEd receiver that was originally serialized as a charger then Iím OK with keeping it as a charger or turning it into a rifle and then turning it back into a charger?
3. If I buy a receiver that has never been part of a rifle or a charger then i can make Either a charger or a rifle but if I make it a rifle first then I canít turn it into a charger without getting an SBR stamp?

I asked these questions because my Illinois FFL would not transfer striped receivers to me because they could become chargers and As I am in Indiana resident they are not allowed to transfer pistols to me.

Additionally while I understand that the word charger on a Ruger receiver means that it was a charger and the absence of the word charger means that it was a rifle how would I know what a stripped used aftermarket was qualify for?
Old 10-18-2020, 07:51 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (48)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Just a few questions.
1. So if I buy a stripped receiver that was originally serialized as a rifle then I need an SBR stamp to turn it into a charger?
YES
2. If I buy a stripEd receiver that was originally serialized as a charger then Iím OK with keeping it as a charger or turning it into a rifle and then turning it back into a charger?
YES
3. If I buy a receiver that has never been part of a rifle or a charger then i can make Either a charger or a rifle but if I make it a rifle first then I canít turn it into a charger without getting an SBR stamp?
YES
I asked these questions because my Illinois FFL would not transfer striped receivers to me because they could become chargers and As I am in Indiana resident they are not allowed to transfer pistols to me.
Receivers are transfered as: 'Other' on the 4473, since they are not a firearm of any type (cannot chamber or fire a round of ammunition)
Additionally while I understand that the word charger on a Ruger receiver means that it was a charger and the absence of the word charger means that it was a rifle how would I know what a stripped used aftermarket was qualify for?
You cannot know with 100% certainty, unless the manufacturer doesn't ship/sell complete firearms... then you only know it was shipped/sold as a receiver.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:56 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So the Illinois issue couldíve been just because they can only sell me a rifle not an other or a pistol.

Your last statement is a little vague. My striped receivers are shipped as receivers, but if they were from kid which makes a rifle then how would I get it to be a charger?
Old 10-18-2020, 10:08 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Something to keep in mind. The BATF has already made noises about pistol braces. Right now they are on a 60 day hold. If Trump wins they may quiet down. If Biden wins expect the pistol braces to go away along with AR and AK rifles and you can kiss 2A goodbye. It can and will be done and that will just be the start.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:15 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Something to keep in mind. The BATF has already made noises about pistol braces. Right now they are on a 60 day hold. If Trump wins they may quiet down. If Biden wins expect the pistol braces to go away along with AR and AK rifles and you can kiss 2A goodbye. It can and will be done and that will just be the start.
NO. The BATFE has announced a 60 day suspension of the "Honey Badger" pistol cease and desist order. This decision involves ONLY THE HONEYBADGER PISTOL MODEL w/BRACE AS MANUFACTURED BY Q, LLC, so please stop spreading misinformation.

If the pistol brace decision had been reversed across the board then the same cease and desist order would have gone out to every other firearm manufacturer producing and selling pistols with braces, but such is not the case.
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (48)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
So the Illinois issue couldíve been just because they can only sell me a rifle not an other or a pistol.

Your last statement is a little vague. My striped receivers are shipped as receivers, but if they were from kid which makes a rifle then how would I get it to be a charger?
I was referring to buying used stripped receivers other than a Ruger Charger.

If you buy a used Kidd receiver, you have no way of knowing if it came from a 'Rifle", since Kidd ships both rifles and bare receivers. Unless Kidd will tell you how that serial number was shipped.

If the used stripped receiver came from a maker like Brownells, since they don't sell complete rifles in 10/22 flavor, then it is likely ok.