Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

617 22lr 6"

7K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  AzShooter 
#1 ·
could someone please help me with getting pictures on here. I just bought a new 617 22lr. There is pretty rough spots by the forcing cone. And just inside of it. I would like to get pictures up and see what you guys think. Thank you.

#29 · (Edited)
4" - 617 Barrel

I bought a second-hand 617 with a 4" barrel in 99%, external condition about 4 months ago. The forcing cone looked similar to Ynoti81's and one of the lands looked like a banana peel. $hit & Wesson refused warranty because I am the second owner. I know now why the first owner sold it, but wonder why he did not get it warranty-serviced.

I did find a replacement barrel and my buddy changed it out for me and lent me his facing tool and FC reamer to finish the job. I obtained a 0.005" cylinder gap, and I was able to shoot 1" groups at 10 yards, single-action, rested, with 8 out of 10 different types of ammo (none of the expensive, foreign match stuff, though). My buddy is capable of shooting 1" groups at 25 yards, DA, either hand/eye!

He is going to help me smooth the action and get rid of extraneous hardware next weekend. He did my 686+ and all his S&W competition revos. His work is so much better, cheaper (labor, free to me) & faster turn-around than S&W Performance Center. We will tune the mainspring to balance DA trigger-pull weight with reliable ignition of all ammo types - about 1.5 hours of parts replacement & polishing. No waiting 7-8 weeks for $hit & Wesson's service!

#7 ·
What ammo are you using? Looks like you are using lead bullets and they are being shaved by the forcing cone if that happens after only 200 rounds. You can expect the lead on the top strap but your forcing cone looks terrible.

I'd either send it back or bring it to your local (GOOD) gunsmith to ream the forcing cone. It should be more than $50 to do the job. I ended up getting the tool from Brownells and have done all my revolvers with it. Really help with function and accuracy.

#21 ·
I have a 617 with a 6-inch barrel also; bought it a couple years ago. Admittedly I have not shot it often but my forcing cone looks just like yours. I had been shooting lead round nose ammo when I noticed this happening. I should also add I have a S&W Model 63 and I noticed the same thing. I showed the 617 to a couple dealers and they were not concerned. It did bug me a bit and after numerous cleanings with various solvents, I have both guns pretty clean; not perfect but OK.

My solution is, don't shoot lead bullets. I am using FMJ for the most part.

Full disclosure, there are many others on this forum with much more experience and expertise than I have. My approach may or may not work for you but I am okay with it. I will continue to follow this tread and see if I learn any new tricks.

Good luck.

The other Hector

#22 ·
I've been questioned about using lead bullets twice. You you say you're using FMJ. I've never heard of such a thing in 22lr ammo. The only thing I've heard of is copper washed ammo. I use copper washed rounds. Any further insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#24 ·
Well finally got my 617 back from Smith and Wesson. Took 7 weeks to get it back. They cut the forcing cone, which i figured was the culprit of all the lead. Also replaced locking bolt, and repaired the crane. I have know idea why the other two would not have been correct, being it was a brand new gun. I mounted a vortex venom 3moa. I'll get out this weekend and see how she does.

#31 ·
Following. I'd be interested to hear what they find but doubt they offer any details (based on my experience.) Regardless, lets hope the fix it right. SW CS has slipped ALLOT in the last 10 years or so. FWIW, I just sent a Ruger GP100 -22 revolver in for a repair. They turned it around in one day. Total out of hands time was 6 days.

#32 ·
I must be the lucky one. I've sent back my Smith & Wesson 617 and my Ruger Mark IV to the propper factories. Both came back completely fixed and within less than a week of service. FedEx is another story. They lost both guns for a week each.

I do must of my own gunsmithing having been trained by a couple of outstanding gunsmiths. There's occasionally a job that I don't have the proper tools for so I send them back. My gunsmiths are old and retired or I'd have them do the work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.