Older 10/22's vs New 10/22's? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:16 AM
coloradogeezer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Older 10/22's vs New 10/22's?

When I was younger, I had a 10/22 that was probably made in about the late 60's or early 70's. It functioned FLAWLESSLY for the entire time I owned it, which was quite a while. At some point, I sold it off like a fool. I have been very tempted to buy one of the "current" 10/22 Deluxe carbines, but I am wondering if they are really as good "overall" as far as reliability, accuracy, etc, as the much older ones were. CALL ME SKEPTICAL, but frankly, I have had VERY bad luck with most of the newer guns that I have bought from almost any and every manufacturer.

In contrast, I have had SUPERB luck when I have bought "mint" examples of OLDER guns. They seem to work perfectly.

I am tempted to just wait and find a "mint" example of an older 10/22 DLX instead of going with the new version.

I hear all this talk about "bolt buffers", etc, and that is fine, but in all honesty, I never felt I NEEDED to do ANYTHING to my "older" version 10/22 at all. And, man, I shot thousands and thousands of rounds through that thing with no problems.

Your thoughts? New or Old? I don't mean for "investment value" either. Just for the overall quality of the gun, wood quality, blueing, reliability, trigger-pull, etc.

Thank you so much for your input!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:35 AM
AK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If I was to buy a 10/22 and didn't want to upgrade it then I would look for a earlier rifle. There is nothing wrong with the 10/22's of today but a nicely used one of the 60's or 70's is better IMHO.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Silverviper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your in NY

If you live in NY an older 10/22 made before the 90's it would be considered a pre ban. So you could put add ons on it , that you can not put on if you bought a new one today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 12:07 PM
ShermiesRule

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SInce I'v been refinishing about a dozen factory carbine staocks lately I find that there is a difference in stocks. The older stocks have more of a swirl wood grain where the new stocks have more of the line grain. I have no scientific prrof of that other than my own personal observation.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I am building a SuperStock rifle out of my 1976 "liberty" carbine. I have been given two newer stocks to work with. They are not inletted as tightly as the walnut '76 stock. There is a very well formed barrel pad in the tip that stock and nothing in the new one. I could go on. The hammer and sear are harder material than the old stuf for instance. The receiver is anodized instead of paint.

NO contest!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk