Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Magnum Research MLR 1722 .22WMR

13K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Vol423 
#1 ·
Seeking a .22WMR competition bolt and knowledge of this firearm

What I hope to get shared around in this thread is places to get parts and share knowledge about this rifle specifically. Biggest question I have: Can you adjust the gas block for better weapon performance (cartridge ejection, accuracy, round speed).

I can say the MLR 1722 with carbon fiber barrel is a nail driver; with a bit of tuning it could be a tack driver. The ONLY complaint I have is cartridge ejection; too many stove pipes, fail to eject, etc--seeking immediate solution to this problem.

#3 ·
MR - 1722M

Per the Magnum Research 1722 Manual:

The MLR-1722 is chambered for .22 Long Rifle and the MLR 1722M is chambered for .22WMR. The caliber of your rifle is marked on the barrel's left side.
1722M: Use only .22WMR ammunition (of 40 grains or more) that are manufactured to SAAMI specifications.

The 1722M rifles have a specially designed bolt handle. It is steel, large and barrel-shaped. This bolt handle is the key to successful and safe operation of the .22WMR. It times the action and retards the operation of the bolt appropriately when the rifle is fired.

NEVER FIRE .22WMR AMMUNITION WITHOUT THE SOLID BARREL SHAPED BOLT HANDLE INSTALLED IN THE RIFLE.

The .22WMR bolt handle should NOT be confused with the .22 Long Rifle bolt handle that is similar in shape but has a 1/2" hollow hole in the center.

This rifle has a very small orifice hole in the barrel that equalizes the timing of peak pressure variances in .22WMR ammunition. It is vital to the safe function of your rifle. DO NOT ENLARGE IT.
TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY ALWAYS KEEP THE GAS DISPERSION BLOCK IN PLACE! This block covers the orifice hole.

Now with that said - My 1722M also had a big yellow sticker on the outside of the box stating the requirement of 22 WMR 40 gr (minimum) ammo. I followed up with MR Customer Support on this topic:

Their response was that the warranty has nothing to do with safety or damage to the weapon, and that "firing 30-grain ammo will void the warranty" was 'poor wording'.

The recoil springs in these rifles are meant to cycle with 40-50grn loads, and 30grn loads often do not cycle properly. Rather than "guaranteeing" their rifle will cycle with "any" WMR load out there (i.e., the warranty around sure-function), they basically say "this rifle is not meant to cycle with 30grn ammo, so if it DOESN'T cycle, we're not obligated to fix it". If the rifle wouldn't cycle properly with 40-50grn ammo, they WOULD, however, warranty the rifle and willingly correct the issue.

So no, it's nothing one should worry about, it just means they won't do warranty repairs to get your rifle to reliably cycle 30 grain 22 Mag ammo.

I have shot the following types of 22 WMR ammo in mine with no problems thus far:

Aguila - Silver Eagle - 40 grain - SP - 1,875 fps
CCI - Maxi-Mag - 30 grain - JHP+V - 2,200 fps
CCI - A22 - 35 grain - BT - 2,100 fps
Win - X22HM - 40 grain - JHP - 1,910 fpsg
Win - X22MR1 - 40 grain - FMJ - 1,800 fps

The only upgrade on my MR 1722 & 1722M was the trigger to a Brimstone Tier 2 option. Mine is a walnut thumbhole stock carbon fiber barrel.

#4 ·
Magnum Research 1722

Mine functions perfectly with all kinds of ammo from 35-50 grains; and the most accurate have been the A22 CCI 35g. The Carbon Barrel is tighter through my bore snake than my other 22wmr's and is the most accurate .5" MOA rifle and reliable shooter for me.

#5 ·
Danger

My MLR1722M came from the factory with excessive headspace. The breech block does not mate up with the chamber of the barrel and when a round is fired gas and powder particles are expelled, with force, out from around the breech and the magazine area. The first shot blew the magazine right out of the rifle. Bulged and split cases confirm the problem. Needless to say, it went back to the factory. I am still waiting to hear back from them (its only been two weeks).

#6 ·
Yikes

My MLR1722M came from the factory with excessive headspace. The breech block does not mate up with the chamber of the barrel and when a round is fired gas and powder particles are expelled, with force, out from around the breech and the magazine area. The first shot blew the magazine right out of the rifle. Bulged and split cases confirm the problem. Needless to say, it went back to the factory. I am still waiting to hear back from them (its only been two weeks).
Excessive headspace indeed! That sounds exactly like the results of an out-of-battery ignition, AKA, KABOOM! The majority of such incidents in the 10/22M (yeah I know, this particular gun isn't a Ruger) were caused by an OOB ignition. It was the opinion of the old-timers who knew the 10/22M inside and out that this was much more prevalent in .17 caliber conversions but could happen in .22 WMR or even a .22lr version. But, we're talking about a new gun here. That has to be a significantly out of spec assembly. QC failure at the manufacturer. Hope they are good for it.

#9 ·
You would need a go/no go gauge to check the headspace. I'm not sure of the actual measurement for .22WMR but it can probably be found online. The issue then is what are you going to do about it. If your rifle is showing symptoms of excessive head space, such as split cases and blow back of gas and particles of powder, you will need the parts and tools necessary to fix it. This should be a warranty matter with the manufacturer.

I just got my rifle back from Magnum Research today. The work sheet says that they exchanged the barrel .... extractor cut damage on the breech cap; and adjusted the ejector on the magazine. They test fired it with 18 rounds of 45gr Hornady FTX. I've not yet had a chance to fire it myself.

#10 ·
UNSAFE GUN

My rifle came back from the factory with a new barrel installed. I have used only Winchester 40 gr. fmj ammo. Took it to the range yesterday. First round fired caused the ejector to rip the head off the case; hot gasses escaped by blowing the magazine completely out of the receiver; the ejector, ejector plunger and spring blew out of the bolt (I found all those parts on the shooting bench).

This gun is going back to my local dealer who is a stocking dealer for Magnum Research products, and he can deal with the manufacturer. I will provide them a sworn affidavit about my experience.

The dealer offered me a full refund or to give me another (new) one in exchange but I have lost confidence in the safety of this gun. Perhaps the gas assisted blow back design is not properly designed, I don't know, but I'm done with this one.

#12 ·
Not good

My rifle came back from the factory with a new barrel installed. I have used only Winchester 40 gr. fmj ammo. Took it to the range yesterday. First round fired caused the ejector to rip the head off the case; hot gasses escaped by blowing the magazine completely out of the receiver; the ejector, ejector plunger and spring blew out of the bolt (I found all those parts on the shooting bench).

This gun is going back to my local dealer who is a stocking dealer for Magnum Research products, and he can deal with the manufacturer. I will provide them a sworn affidavit about my experience.

The dealer offered me a full refund or to give me another (new) one in exchange but I have lost confidence in the safety of this gun. Perhaps the gas assisted blow back design is not properly designed, I don't know, but I'm done with this one.
Sorry to hear MR was unable to correct the problem with the rifle. Good on your dealer for correcting your billfold.

I imagine the MR fanboys rising up in support of their guns but I figure that is much like me and my 10/22 magnum experience. I'm one of the lucky few who has had great luck with 10/22Ms, I guess. I have never had a reason to consider trying another brand of WMR semi-auto. I clearly see the attraction and understand what is and is not available today. As they say "sorry 'bout yer luck".

#13 ·
I will be attaching a bag with the ruptured case and parts to the Affidavit I'm providing the dealer so he can show the sales rep.

I'm an old fashion kind of guy ("old" being the operative word) and though I enjoy my 10/22's in .22lr, I'll probably look for something else in a magnum. Perhaps a Marlin 57M would be nice. Good luck to all you happy semi-auto fans out there.

#14 ·
Yup

Now that I've laid claim to semi-auto WMRs that run well, it's only fair to say I also have a Ruger American Rimfire in .22WMR that makes our prairie dog trips. The semi-autos are great but are not conducive to conserving ammo when I'm in a target-rich environment. :gun4:

#20 ·
22wmr

Thanks for sharing that disaster problem with us. I'm losing interest in converting my 22wmr semi MR into .17HMR or taking a chance on any semi 17 HMR.

I was tempted to buy a Butler Creek .17HMR barrel from Buds Gunshop when they periodically become available. Would it even switch out on a Magnum Research like a Ruger 10/22WMR? Let me know if you did.

I hope that you receive your money and or at least get replaced with a new rifle.

#21 ·
Thanks for sharing that disaster problem with us. I'm losing interest in converting my 22wmr semi MR into .17HMR or taking a chance on any semi 17 HMR.

I was tempted to buy a Butler Creek .17HMR barrel from Buds Gunshop when they periodically become available. Would it even switch out on a Magnum Research like a Ruger 10/22WMR? Let me know if you did.

I hope that you receive your money and or at least get replaced with a new rifle.
Magnum Research converted their factory assembled 17HMR rifles to 22WMR. That shows how problematic the rifle was. If you want a reliable 17HMR semi-auto, look at the Savage A17.

Comparing the 22LR Magnum Research barrel and the 22LR Butler Creek, the MR barrel is much better under continuous firing (semi auto range targets).

#22 ·
I bought a Magnum Rearch MLR (22 WMR) several weeks ago. I had several failures to extract while sighting in but figured it was a new rifle.
When I arrived in Colorado for a ground squirrel hunt I had 47 out of 60 rounds failures to extract. This was with lubricating an additional time. All of this was with CCI 40 grain hollowpoints. I tried several different magazines with the same results. I then tried Winchester 40 grain full metal jacket the first round had a partial head separation. The second round the head completely separated and blew, the magazine out of the bottom of the gun.
It is being sent back but I have little to no faith in this rifle now.

#24 ·
My boy has a MR 10/22M and it is a fun rifle. Had one failure of sorts but he keeps cleaning it and using it
I have a Ruger 10/22Mag and love it, harvester and dispatched many predators and fur bearers. I want to do the .17 HMR conversion tho, what is all involved besides the barrel?

#25 ·
My boy has a MR 10/22M and it is a fun rifle. Had one failure of sorts but he keeps cleaning it and using it
I have a Ruger 10/22Mag and love it, harvester and dispatched many predators and fur bearers. I want to do the .17 HMR conversion tho, what is all involved besides the barrel?
Have you tried the 30 grain v max wmr ammo from Hornady? https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rimfire/22-wmr-30-gr-v-max#!/
Its pretty darn good.
I have a Clark Custom WMR to HMR Conversion. , but I am not the original owner , so I dont have all the details.
But as far as I can tell, besides the barrel swap, they used a bunch of Power Custom heavy (parts, wmr) recoil spring , firing pin, extractor , anti walk pins a PC stick mag release, a Kidd 2 stage trigger, set up for WMR, plus the cusom polishing and fitting,
Textile Wood Interior design studio couch Couch
Sewing machine feet Sewing machine Luggage and bags Gas Wood

#26 ·
I had the earlier version with a heavy stainless barrel. It functioned perfectly but it was too heavy to carry in the mountains. So I sold it and bought one with a carbon fiber barrel. That gun would not eject fired cartridges, so therefore wouldn't cycle. I sent it back to MR and they replaced the barrel. It cycles fine now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.