Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:56 AM
sd5782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New 455 Stainless Synthetic 17hmr

Longtime member, but new poster here. I just received a nice new 455 in the Stainless synthetic in 17hmr. I chose the synthetic with the thought in mind of prairie dog shooting "maybe" in the distant future. We always need a reason for another gun right? I chose the synthetic, as I thought I would enjoy being just a bit less cautious using and handling it than my 15 year old 452 22lr American in walnut.

I thought I was getting the blued version, as that is what most pictures showed. I was quite surprised and pleased when I opened the box and saw the stainless. Build date was May of 2018 IIRC. I won't get to shoot it for awhile I am sure as I am working fairly long hours now, and winter here, and need to get to the range.

I did look at some mechanicals though. There is no trigger creep, but I may lighten the spring. I do have parts left from a Brooks trigger kit I used in my 452 thanks to advice from this forum.

I have been big into spring powered pellet rifles for the last 20 years, so the 17hmr caliber will be a nice diversion. The pellet guns I can shoot in the city in my backyard. Upon pulling a patch through the 17hmr barrel, I was quite surprised to feel several very tight and rough spots halfway down the barrel. 5-10 passes with some JB paste, and some brass brushing, and more patches, and all was well. I am used to pulling patches through pellet rifle barrels and feeling the choke at the end, so this "obstruction" that felt very coarse had me a bit worried, but cleaning seemed to remedy things. A year and a half of sitting may have been the culprit.

Also of note is that the synthetic stock is definitely not free floated, so I will have to see what kind of results I get. The stock does feel nice and is solid. It is way nicer than the plastic stock on my 30 year old Savage 110 in 22-250. My only gripe is that a rubber butt pad that is non slip would be nice for standing the gun up on hard surfaces vs the hard plastic one that comes on it . I can't really complain though for $343 total price which included the FFL transfer.

I tried some airgun rings that seemed perfect, and used an older 5-15 Bushnell 3200 that I had. Things seemed to line up well, and felt solid. I guess I am crazy for buying a new project in the winter, but that is what keeps us going I guess, especially when we northerners can't do too much outside for awhile. I hope it shoots as nice as my 452, and my 2 CZ pellet rifles.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice! Curious to how she shoots.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
cz

Is this a tupperware stock hollow on the inside??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 03:31 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought 2 of the CZ varmint synthetic stocks. Love them to death. Wood is for show. Synthetic is for the game.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:07 PM
shamrock12
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
I bought 2 of the CZ varmint synthetic stocks. Love them to death. Wood is for show. Synthetic is for the game.
I think you meant the American, not Varmint AFAIK the 455 Varmints never were available with synthetic stock.

Congrats on your purchases. Which calibers did you get?

Last edited by shamrock12; 12-29-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
96% (22)
CZ 455 SYN varmint

CZ sure does make a 455 Varmint syn. Check out model # 02214. It's a .22LR.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:50 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock12 View Post
I think you meant the American, not Varmint AFAIK the 455 Varmints never were available with synthetic stock.

Congrats on your purchases. Which calibers did you get?
Nope, I meant varmint. Why did I buy. So the lilja sport taper would go in and have good clearance. America wood or American synthetic I tried and couldn’t get the proper clearance barrel wise. I sanded and sanded. A no go.

You can find the CZ 455 synthetic varmint stock right here.
http://shop.cz-usa.com/SearchByKeyword?word=stock%20455

Last edited by squirrel1; 12-29-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:30 PM
longislandloco
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Any 22 View Post
CZ synthetics ain't Tupperware!
Old 12-29-2019, 06:40 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hunt loads in the rain.
Wood stock is for the birds imo.
My guns are not closet queens. They get used.
My wood stock on 25-06 looks like it’s been in WW3.

Good looking wood don’t make a gun shoot any better.

Folks can buy and use what they want to.
I have glass stock on my Annie and syn stocks on my CZs.

Btw,
I use bug spray in early squirrel season.
Bug spray on wood stocks spells doom.
Been there and done that.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:35 PM
shamrock12
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wow, I had no idea their Varmints were available with synthetic stock. I donít think they ever had that model on their website when 455 was in production. Their webpage of discontinued models doesnít even list one either.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
sd5782 sir well back nice to have you home again...nice choice...they will turn out to be a very nice rifle and a few years from now...when others will be looking for one of them you already have one in your collection.

Signalman
Old 12-30-2019, 07:01 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I have the SS in .17hmr, not the very most accurate but plenty enough for any normal use (think right at 1/2 inch at 50 yards), CZ's synthetic stock and Sako's Quad synthetic are very similar in stiffness. Much better than Savage or Marlin.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:36 PM
sd5782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few shots

I did get to take this one to the range for some quick testing. Breezy and chilly out so not really definitive. I had 15.5, 17, and 20 grain ammo. All well under an inch at 50 and an inch and a half at 100.

Swirling 15 mph winds, and scope adjusting and getting familiar with it and cold, so ultimate accuracy wasnít expected. Scope was a nice choice. Trigger with no creep. I may put in a lighter spring from an old Brooks kit. No playing with bedding yet, so just some first date sort of getting to know things.

I was quite pleased however with the stainless model that I received vs the blue that I was expecting. The synthetic stock felt very nice. I am a wood and blued steel kind of guy, but wanted something that I didnít have to be afraid to lay on the wood shooting bench at the range like my 452 American.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:50 PM
BRNO/CZluvr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Any 22 View Post
Yes they are. Mine holds a complete survival kit and ammo. They are surprisingly well made and solid stocks. The textured finish has a rubbery feel and really comfortable.