Out of stater (MN.) buying a CZ 452 from private party in Alabama ?? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 PM
*bigstone

TPC Rating: 
96% (22)
Out of stater (MN.) buying a CZ 452 from private party in Alabama ??

I'm in the process of purchasing a CZ 452 from a private party who is a resides in the state of Alabama. Can he legally ship it to an FFL holder who's business is located in Minnesota? Or does he need to deliver the rifle to an FFL holder in Alabama and have that FFL holder ship to the FFL holder in Minnesota where I would complete the transfer form? I tried to find the answer on line and didn't find the answer.

Moderator, Please move to the appropriate sub forum. I didn't know where to place this question.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 PM
SneakyHunter

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
He can ship directly to your FFL and most FFL will just need to get ID of the seller to verify. I just recently completed a transaction as a seller and that's all I had to provide to my buyer's FFL dealer. Hope that helps.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I canít find an ffl that will accept a firearm from a private party/no ffl. Not required, but they wonít do it around me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 10:16 PM
*bigstone

TPC Rating: 
96% (22)
Out of transfer sales

Sneakyhunter and toomany22's.

Sirs,

I too have purchased used rifles out of state and the private party shipped to the FFL I use. They do accept from a private party.

Toomany22's, I love your handle...

The reason this came up is the Alabama private party was quite sure he had to take it to his local FFL and have him ship it to the FFL holder in MN. And I thought it could be that Alabama has a state law in place stating such. But I couldn't locate such a law. But then again it's highly possible I wasn't looking in the right place.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *bigstone View Post
Sneakyhunter and toomany22's.

Sirs,

I too have purchased used rifles out of state and the private party shipped to the FFL I use. They do accept from a private party.

Toomany22's, I love your handle...

The reason this came up is the Alabama private party was quite sure he had to take it to his local FFL and have him ship it to the FFL holder in MN. And I thought it could be that Alabama has a state law in place stating such. But I couldn't locate such a law. But then again it's highly possible I wasn't looking in the right place.
Your post office can tell you if it is legal or not. Only problem I have had was New York and California.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:05 AM
D Bart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
Your post office can tell you if it is legal or not. Only problem I have had was New York and California.
Post office is the last place I'd go to for reliable information about this. Too many times they can't give accurate information even on their own rules and regulations.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:02 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If I sell to an out of state buyer, I always do it through my FFL dealer to their FFL dealer. In effect ownership passes from me to my FFL dealer and then to the buyer's FFL dealer who transfers ownership to the buyer.

Yes, it may cost a few dollars more but it is the safest legal means of doing the transaction IMO and there is a clear paper trail.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:19 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *bigstone View Post

The reason this came up is the Alabama private party was quite sure he had to take it to his local FFL and have him ship it to the FFL holder in MN.
That would be right if it were a HANDGUN. For long-guns, the private party can legally ship to an FFL in another state. If the seller is worried about being "safe," he can have the FFL e-mail his license, then go on the ATF's website and verify that person at that address has an FFL.

I would say about 10% of the people at the counter at the Post Office actually know what the laws on this are.

Just because an FFL may receive a long-gun from a private party in another state does not mean they have to. But usually a search will produce one that is not too far a drive.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:53 AM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I am an FFL. Yes he can ship it to your FFL direct if your FFL will accept it from a non FFL. I require a copy of the seller's DL in the package. Most dealers will not accept from a non FFL because many will not follow instructions properly or package them properly.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:14 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bart View Post
Post office is the last place I'd go to for reliable information about this. Too many times they can't give accurate information even on their own rules and regulations.
Absolutely correct, my local PO will not even discuss mailing a firearm to an FFL, claim its illegal, even with an ATF Officer on the phone telling them they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolk View Post
I am an FFL. Yes he can ship it to your FFL direct if your FFL will accept it from a non FFL. I require a copy of the seller's DL in the package. Most dealers will not accept from a non FFL because many will not follow instructions properly or package them properly.
The last sentence is probably dead on, makes sense.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:37 AM
*bigstone

TPC Rating: 
96% (22)
Out of stater (MN.) buying a CZ 452 from private party in Alabama

I too have had issues with shipping long guns from the two closest post offices to where I live. In each office (small town office) I had to literally push the clerk to contact go up the chain and ended at the regional/district manager. In both cases once they agreed to contact the manager it was resolved. In one case it took an hour+ to get a hold an authorized person that new the regulations. I wasn't leaving until resolved.

MPOLK Sir,
To your point about proper packaging. There's a lot to be said about that.

Thanks to all that have replied here.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:38 AM
trh9905

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Iím in MI. I can buy a gun (rifle or pistol) out of state and have it shipped as long as the delivery point is an FFL. MI doesnít require the shipper to be an FFL. Having said that, not every FFL in MI will accept a firearm from a shipper that is not and FFL.

The risk is on the buyer. The seller most likely has their money! Know your FFLís requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2019, 09:06 AM
Lance Boyle
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
That would be right if it were a HANDGUN. For long-guns, the private party can legally ship to an FFL in another state. If the seller is worried about being "safe," he can have the FFL e-mail his license, then go on the ATF's website and verify that person at that address has an FFL

I would say about 10% of the people at the counter at the Post Office actually know what the laws on this are.

Just because an FFL may receive a long-gun from a private party in another state does not mean they have to. But usually a search will produce one that is not too far a drive.

+1. I have had drawn out conversations with post office counter monkeys that don’t know postal regulations regarding shipping firearms. Only the post master in the building seems to have half a clue. I have had to come back when the PM comes back from lunch because counter monkey feelings about firearms. After the third time the one counter monkey was on board knowing I wasn’t going away.

At another post office I had to insist the post master look up his own regs as he was dismissive and wrong. I think I even had the reg number in hand and that ticked him off. That was a good twenty years ago.

Handguns always go FFL to FFL at the post office. You can use common carriers to ship out your handgun for warranty repair and gunsmith work. And receive it back via common carriers.

Long guns must be received by a FFL but you can ship them via USPS or common carrier. Same thing with the exception to receive your own long gun back from warranty work or gunsmith servicing.

Last edited by Lance Boyle; 07-12-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Tailwheel

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Why bother telling the counter people at the post office or fedex/ups that its a gun? Just package it up along with a copy of the receiving FFL certificate and your drivers license. Overnight shipping to the receiving FFL for handguns, ground or better for long guns.

I'd never tell a USPS counter person or fedex that i'm shipping a gun. Too many thieves or libs to give you heartache.

I have had some FFLs not want to deal with a private individual shipping directly to them. Most will though with a copy of your drivers license.

Patrick
Old 07-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Rick_W
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Why bother telling the counter people at the post office or fedex/ups that its a gun? Just package it up along with a copy of the receiving FFL certificate and your drivers license. Overnight shipping to the receiving FFL for handguns, ground or better for long guns.

I'd never tell a USPS counter person or fedex that i'm shipping a gun. Too many thieves or libs to give you heartache.
+1

"Is this a firearm?" is not one of the questions asked when shipping a package.

Only answer what is asked.