Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin 780's vs. 880's

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Okie73 
#1 ·
We picked up a nice clean almost new Marlin 783 22 WRM made in 1976 yesterday. When I got home I looked in the Blue Book and saw that the 780 series are priced about half of the same model 880's that replaced the 7's in the late 1980's. Anyone know why a later gun is supposed to be worth about double? At just a quick glance they look about the same to me.

#2 ·
I think it is simply cost; to a lot of dudes here, the 7 series in 22 mag were some of the best 22 mags ever made, especially because they had such great fitting, and good looking wood on them. Don't know how many, if at all, the 8 series even came with wood.
For resale at gunshows and such, the 7's allway go for more than the 8's.

#3 ·
blue book is funny, it is almost like a technical manual, that has nothing to do with perception, regionality, etc. Take for instance my car; i have a all origional 1992 chevy caprice, with only about 120k miles on it. I had it painted that mineral metallic grey color, that ford first started putting on it's mustangs in about 2001.
Now the 91 and 92 caprices, have the least amount of cool stuff on them, and they were seriously just cop car, or fleet type, interiors. Very plain. However, the 91 and 92 models, were the only ones made with the rear tire well side skirts, that covered up about 1/2 of the top of the rear tire, and this was not an add-on, but actually the whole piece of that rear quarter panel.
I have dudes come up to me almost everyday, especially when gassing up, wanting to give me 5 k , to sell it. No way , I tell them.
like this.

So chances are , your 783 is worth way more than what blue book says.

#4 · (Edited)
I gave about double blue book price, but not quite, or on par with prices given for the 883. It is in about 98% condition, functions perfect, has a real nice walnut stock. I feel I paid a fair price, no steal for sure just about right from others I have seen online, and it was what I had been looking for across the counter.

I come out ahead on 90% of the used guns I buy, and if on occasion I get what I want at a price I feel is fair and can't sell it for more than I paid, Oh well, once in a while is OK ya think?

I would like to know more about it like all guns I buy or own.

#5 ·
I picked up a 783 at the gun show last weekend for $200 that sounds like yours rem33. When you take the stock off you will probably find that the left side of the receiver is d&t for a receiver sight. The later 7's don't seem to have this feature. Not sure what years Marlin did this. My 783 was made in 1977. I don't feel bad about paying more than blue book because I really like this rifle.:bthumb: Okie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.