Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:57 PM
VaUltraClassic
Emergency Medical Technician Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First Appleseed prep-scope question

So, I'm setting up a 10/22 to shoot my first 25 yd two day Appleseed. My 63 year old eyes went to bifocals twenty five years ago, and haven't gotten any better over time.

I am at a crossroads on which scope to mount and hope for some advice.

My first thought is to use my Bushnell Trophy 3-9x50 SFP with the idea that a wider FOV might be handy to make sure I'm shooting the right target. The cross-hair is a simple plex with no tic marks for holdover or wind correction, and parallax set, I believe, at 50 yds. Frankly, I don't think any more than this is necessary.

I also have a spare NF ATACRS 7-35x56 FFP that I could stick on, but I don't think the extra weight, magnification, or bells and whistles are really a benefit at 25 yds..

What say ye Riflemen?
Old 03-05-2021, 06:12 PM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Atacr is way overkill and heavy, 7x min magnification is borderline too much for what appleseed is trying to teach. Minimum parallax distance is probably not being made either which causes some issues. (25 meters for this event, tha Atacr is higher than that IIRC). The bushnell is a far better choice for this event. I usually use between 3-6x magnification for appleseed clinics.

Most people doing an Appleseed for the first time have the scope mounted way to far back and cannot get enough eye relief in prone and sitting positions. That causes the scope vignetting/shadow tunneling problem. If you are mounting on a picatinny rail, leave at least one open slot in front of your rings as you will probably have to move it forward.

Good luck and have fun, itís a great program!
Old 03-05-2021, 07:28 PM
VaUltraClassic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfshoon View Post

Good luck and have fun, itís a great program!
Thanks- I thought I was beyond being excited about much at my age, kind of a been-there-done-that guy, but I find myself smiling more and more as the plan comes together.
I put together a KIDD action/bbl on a Magpul for this, should be fun! Sighting it in tomorrow.

GTG on the eye box, I set the scope up for prone.

After major surgeries on both shoulders and multiple surgeries on both knees (one of which often locks because of cartilage removal), I'm a little anxious about sitting...I'm working on a geriatric adaptation now .

FYI- The AO on the ATACR will roll back to 25, but I had pretty much ruled it out on mag and weight already and mounted the junkbox scope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2021, 08:17 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaUltraClassic View Post
My first thought is to use my Bushnell Trophy 3-9x50 SFP with the idea that a wider FOV might be handy to make sure I'm shooting the right target.
3x is more magnification than I could tolerate, but if you are set on using one of these, I'd use the Bushnell and never take it off 3x.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:43 PM
VaUltraClassic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
3x is more magnification than I could tolerate, but if you are set on using one of these, I'd use the Bushnell and never take it off 3x.
Yep, that's the lowest power scope I own, and I almost forgot I had it.. not gonna buy another scope.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:52 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So your scope choice is fine.

However make sure that you mount it forward enough for shooting prone.
I've shot a lot of Appleseeds, and scopes not mounted forward enough have been a real issue.

Shooters sling up and drop to prone and find the scope is jammed into their face.

Just check it out before you go.

Smooth
Old 03-05-2021, 11:14 PM
VaUltraClassic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
So your scope choice is fine.

Shooters sling up and drop to prone and find the scope is jammed into their face.

Just check it out before you go.

Smooth
Thanks, as I had commented earlier to Wolfshoon, I have the eyebox optimized for prone.

I look at many photos posted of scoped rifles with the ocular sitting back 3-4" behind the action and it makes me wonder what kind of shooting position works for that...

Last edited by VaUltraClassic; 03-05-2021 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2021, 05:37 AM
rexxon123456
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
scope set up

As smoothtrigger says set up your scope for prone position that where the bottom row counts double. you will be fine for all the rest. I agree on the lowest scope power for standing---as higher power makes wobble seems worse. But I am 60 and my eyes are not getting any better the higher magnifaction helped me on prone., and really helped me clear the redcoat with Morgan's shingle
Old 03-06-2021, 07:06 AM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All good advice here, no doubt, having the proper eye relief is key to mounting the scope for shooting in positions. My favorite scope for Appleseed, is the Nikon EFR 3x9, too bad they aren't made anymore. I have found a pretty good replacement for other rifles I have been buying, the Athlon Neos 4x12. Excellent glass, with AO adjustable to 10 meters, pretty nice!
Old 03-06-2021, 08:32 AM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
it always annoys me when posters don't fully read previous posts, and then just repeat something that has already been covered.
My apologies to both you and wolfshoon.

Hee'rs my KIDD Supergrade all set up for an Appleseed with a Leupold VX-2 3-9X 33mm EFR, and a Blawkhawk Cheek Riser. Great little scope. I liked them so much I have 2 of them.

Good for a pair of 242's the only time I shot it on a Saturday.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 03-06-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:38 AM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
it always annoys me when posters don't fully read previous posts, and then just repeat something that has already been covered.
My apologies to both you and wolfshoon.

Smooth
Maybe just consider it a re-enforcement of your post? There are a lot of us here with a lot of experience at this too. A WHOLE lot of experience.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:00 AM
VaUltraClassic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I appreciate all the advice.... one of the best memonic aids known is repetition, and I'm not annoyed a bit!

But........ how should I set up my scope????
Old 03-06-2021, 11:42 AM
MacGhillemohr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaUltraClassic View Post
I appreciate all the advice.... one of the best memonic aids known is repetition, and I'm not annoyed a bit!

But........ how should I set up my scope????
As wolfshoon said, place your scope far enough forward, that when you are in prone slinged up, that you have the proper eye relief needed. That means no shadowing, just a complete, wide open lens to look through.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:22 PM
VaUltraClassic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGhillemohr View Post
As wolfshoon said, place your scope far enough forward, that when you are in prone slinged up, that you have the proper eye relief needed. That means no shadowing, just a complete, wide open lens to look through.
WoW! ... just wow!
Old 03-06-2021, 05:33 PM
VaUltraClassic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I sighted in the 3-9 Bushnell today... the experience pretty well sucked- I'm spoiled and just don't do fixed-parallax scopes with my eye issues. I have Fuch's syndrome in my dominant eye which causes the crosshairs to look "wavy" and not perpindicular. I also have a tumor slowly wrapping itself around the optic nerve in the other eye, so no retraining to shoot from the other side as an option so. Not whining- just saying I NEED as much focal clarity as I can get to compensate...

I'm going to mount a Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42 and see if that doesn't work better for me. It is a FFP scope w/ illuminated reticle.. hopefully it will be here in time for me to give it a run next Saturday...