Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 PM
groundhogsniper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Benchmade?

Does anyone here have any experience with Benchmade?
I've been looking at some of them for a while amd thinking of pulling the trigger on one.
Any comments or opinions?
Have been looking closely at the Nakamura ( not sure I spelled that right ).
I own several of the older Kershaws like some that are pictured in the Kershaw post, a couple of Moore Maker and Queen mini trappers, a Buck Alpha Dorado in ATS 34 and several other assorted blades including one handmade.
I like most of the knives I own and carry but kinda have a yearning for one of the Benchmades.
I guess my biggest question is how good are they and are they worth the money.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:51 PM
downlow411

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a few and would buy them again, worth the extra!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:44 PM
groundhogsniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downlow411 View Post
I have a few and would buy them again, worth the extra!
Which models do you have and which do you like best?
Also what steels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 09:57 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Benchmade makes some very nice knives. My favorite is a mini-griptillian. Their axis locking system is very smooth and secure. The blade is 154CM stainless steel.

Last edited by wproct; 10-19-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:30 PM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Nakamura looks like a nice knife. I have always admired the Osborne designs and more recently the Emissary. I don't, however, own any Benchmade knives. I find them to be a little pricey and I don't really like thumb studs all that much. I do know, however, that the price comes with an outstanding warranty.

-remnar
Old 10-19-2014, 10:39 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a 9052 that I have used for years, but I'm going from an auto to an assisted opening knife because they are just as easy to use one handed but there are very little legal hassles with them. I prefer, when working, to be able to open a knife with one hand, while using the other hand for whatever the work requires. It is a real hassle to put something down to use two hands to open a knife. I can open a razor knife easily with one hand, so why not a folding knife. Some of the laws that we have in this country make no sense.

To the original question about Benchmade knives, my 952 has seen extensive use and it has been a real work horse. It may not look new, but it has held up real well.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:34 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
I only very recently purchased a pair of Benchmades . . .

. . .both purchased used, so have no opinion on if they are worth the NIB purchase price. Both of them (Brend Talon II and Mini Griptilian 556S) seem to be quality manufactured knives. Jury is still out, but so far, so good.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Taff

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got the new hunter folder, a lovely knife to use as a EDC .
Old 10-20-2014, 07:30 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've been carrying a griptilian every day for several years now. . .zero complaints from me, and I'm hard on equipment!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:55 AM
groundhogsniper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the replies so far.
Remnar mentioned the Emissary. I have looked at that one also but not so sure about the durability of the aluminum handles.
Kinda leaning toward a model with the M390 steel.
I saw that Doug Ritter is putting out Griptilians and mini Griptilians with M390 and a different blade shape.
I believe they are available at Knife Center.
The Shori is another model I looked at online but it is in SV30 and not too sure about the blade shape on it.
Thanks again and all other experiences and opinions are welcome.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 PM
plinkhard288

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have four benchmades now. One balisong butterfly, two autos, and a mchenry and williams 710D2. I won't carry any other knife after owning these. They are well worth the money.

Brett
Old 10-21-2014, 07:51 AM
ThunderStick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love the axis lock on the Benchmade knives! I have a Griptilian only because I got it for a steal! 154cm is very good, but I am in love with the S30V and the 940. Last week I picked up a 940-1 with carbon fiber scales and S90V steel OMG is that one sweet knife.
When it comes to knives it's what ever floats your boat, and I love old slip joints, but I have become quite the steel junkie for the high end knife steels.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have four. Mini-Grip, Rift and two older ones I can't remember the names of. All very high quality. Friend of mine has ~20 Benchmades, so I've handled a lot of them. Just a tad better in overall fit & finish than most Spyderco models I've owned/examined.

Carried the Mini-grip daily for years and that made the Axis my favorite style of lock. So easy to open/close with one hand.

That said, although I think most of their knives are ugly, my Spydercos win in the ergonomics department. My all-time favorite pocket knife and current EDC is a Dragonfly in ZDP-189. Been carrying it exclusively for about a year now and I'd be hard pressed to find a knife I liked better in my pocket every day. I can put a keener edge on this steel than any other stainless knife I've had and it stays sharp after a lot of use.

If I could find a Benchmade that felt good in my hand, had an Axis Lock, was as small and light as my Dragonfly and came in ZDP-189, I'd pay a couple hundred bucks for it without hesitation.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 PM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
I have four. Mini-Grip, Rift and two older ones I can't remember the names of. All very high quality. Friend of mine has ~20 Benchmades, so I've handled a lot of them. Just a tad better in overall fit & finish than most Spyderco models I've owned/examined.

Carried the Mini-grip daily for years and that made the Axis my favorite style of lock. So easy to open/close with one hand.

That said, although I think most of their knives are ugly, my Spydercos win in the ergonomics department. My all-time favorite pocket knife and current EDC is a Dragonfly in ZDP-189. Been carrying it exclusively for about a year now and I'd be hard pressed to find a knife I liked better in my pocket every day. I can put a keener edge on this steel than any other stainless knife I've had and it stays sharp after a lot of use.

If I could find a Benchmade that felt good in my hand, had an Axis Lock, was as small and light as my Dragonfly and came in ZDP-189, I'd pay a couple hundred bucks for it without hesitation.
+1 For zdp-189. I can get this steel scary sharp and it holds the edge very well. Some complain about how hard it is to sharpen, but I have not found this to be the case. My most carried and used knife is the Spyderco Caly 3 with zdp-189.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:06 PM
22Tool

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhogsniper View Post
Which models do you have and which do you like best?
Also what steels?

I own numerous BenchMade knives, almost all with the "Axis" lock. I find that lock design to be strong and reliable for use as my EDC.

(I am an electrician; a blade is a necessary tool, as much as a screwdriver, etc. In fact, new apprentices are issued a Klein lok-back with their 1st set of tools.)

For work I prefer a Griptilian or mini-Grip; size, blade style & type of steel are individual choice, sometimes driven by intended use. My "Sunday" blade is an Emmisary... only a few ounces in my pocket, and I really like the "Axis-Assist" opening, since John Law sez I can't have automatics!

I'm not trying to SELL, but if you REALLY need convincing, I'll loan you something from my "BenchMade Drawer" - I'm confident that you will come to appreciate the BM quality.

I'm serious; want to live with a Benchie** for a few days? Get in touch (PM is best) and...
... Just sign right here:

Denny

**Ooops; sorry... Emmisary is not available!!