WMR Reliability - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-09-2021, 06:50 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2014
Posts: 
7,401
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)


Log in to see fewer ads
Seems there is no truly 'bulk' or less expensive 22WMR ammunition either.
Perhaps it is true, quality costs and we pay.


Quality costs, but with the 22wmr, the cartridge quality is inconsistent.
It's manufactured for use as hunting ammunition. There is not any lot grading.
There is function testing and chamber pressure testing.
As a result, a few cartridges will produce sub-moa at 50/100 yards,
then you'll catch a stray due to a velocity shift or cartridge defect.
None of the makers are attempting to produce benchrest 22wmr cartridges.
None. Not CCI, not Aquila, not Armscor, not Winchester, not Sellier and Bellot,
not even RWS...they all produce only bulk hunting 22wmr.

But how can I say that you ask? Easy...I took the time to try them all.
I inspected the cartridges before chambering, noted the visible defects,
things like variations in brass dimensions, cartridge length, seating differences,
bullet differences, then tested from a barrel block rig minimizing my lack of skill,
recorded the mv's with a chronograph and the documented the results produced at the target.

Use the 22wmr as it was intended, a high velocity short range hunting/varminting cartridge.
Off hand out to 75 yards and center of critter, it works just fine.
Just don't try to claim sub-moa all day long. It'll do nothing but make me giggle.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-09-2021, 07:31 AM
fourbore is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2014
Location: 
NewEngland,USA
Posts: 
4,933
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jaja you are still down on the 22mag?

My experience and opinion is pretty much the opposite. Or maybe the same with a different spin. I think all my 22mag ammo has been mid level, good solid quality. Like Win Super X in the old days and CCI in more recent years. This has all been 100% reliable, (100.00%). Unless, I had a problem with the firearm. Like a weak striker on an old savage. In that case, nothing was reliable.

The problem with rimfire comparison like this, is when you compare good stuff (for lack of a better word) with very low end discount 22LR.

And like most everyone, I shoot a heck of a lot more 22LR, so eventually even quality ammo may have a dud. I have a lot of very old rimfire pistols in 22lR and after I while, it becomes clear certain guns hit a little weak. It is easy for a noob with less guns to blame the ammo when brand x is ever so less likely to miss fire han brand y. They dont know it takes a good gun to fire 100%. Not just good ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-09-2021, 07:41 AM
SailDesign's Avatar
SailDesign is online now

Join Date: 
Mar 2015
Location: 
RI
Posts: 
2,243
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Seems there is no truly 'bulk' or less expensive 22WMR ammunition either.
Perhaps it is true, quality costs and we pay.


Quality costs, but with the 22wmr, the cartridge quality is inconsistent.
It's manufactured for use as hunting ammunition. There is not any lot grading.
There is function testing and chamber pressure testing.
As a result, a few cartridges will produce sub-moa at 50/100 yards,
then you'll catch a stray due to a velocity shift or cartridge defect.
None of the makers are attempting to produce benchrest 22wmr cartridges.
None. Not CCI, not Aquila, not Armscor, not Winchester, not Sellier and Bellot,
not even RWS...they all produce only bulk hunting 22wmr.

But how can I say that you ask? Easy...I took the time to try them all.
I inspected the cartridges before chambering, noted the visible defects,
things like variations in brass dimensions, cartridge length, seating differences,
bullet differences, then tested from a barrel block rig minimizing my lack of skill,
recorded the mv's with a chronograph and the documented the results produced at the target.

Use the 22wmr as it was intended, a high velocity short range hunting/varminting cartridge.
Off hand out to 75 yards and center of critter, it works just fine.
Just don't try to claim sub-moa all day long. It'll do nothing but make me giggle.
Fortunately, the thread is about reliability, not accuracy....
__________________
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-09-2021, 07:59 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2014
Posts: 
7,401
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
FB...I use the 22wmr regularly, as a hunting cartridge.
It has the oomph needed for punching through the skull or ribcage,
on a predator stalking the henhouse. Offhand at short range it's great.
I'm not "down" on the cartridge at all, just keeping things factual, eh?

Sail, just following up on a comment in a previous post. Slow Friday morning at the office.
Didja really expect me to ignore a comment on the 22wmr being a high quality cartridge?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-09-2021, 08:47 AM
SailDesign's Avatar
SailDesign is online now

Join Date: 
Mar 2015
Location: 
RI
Posts: 
2,243
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
< snip-de-dip >

Sail, just following up on a comment in a previous post. Slow Friday morning at the office.
Didja really expect me to ignore a comment on the 22wmr being a high quality cartridge?
Nope. But I can never resist low-hanging fruit.
__________________
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-09-2021, 08:50 AM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2014
Posts: 
7,401
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I like the snip-de-dip bit.

And yeah, low hanging fruit or the set up that's just begging for a spike, fully understood.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-10-2021, 09:13 AM
Edcnh's Avatar
Edcnh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2010
Location: 
Northern NH
Posts: 
146
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have only been shooting 22WMR for a couple of years. I have used several brands and to date have had only one which failed to fire. A few failed to fire on the first attempt but fired on the second try. Not very convenient if you were hunting, though.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-10-2021, 09:30 AM
fourbore is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2014
Location: 
NewEngland,USA
Posts: 
4,933
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It if fired on the 2nd try, my first assumption is the gun. Not to say it is always true, but; that is where I start. And assuming I even want to get into it, which I may not bother. Rimfire like a good hard wack.

There was some very good info posted on optimum rimfire firing pin shape on the tip. Not simply for reliability but; also for accuracy (ie consistant ignition). Hit em where it hurts!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-10-2021, 12:58 PM
Test_Engineer

Join Date: 
Nov 2014
Location: 
On a Colorado glacier
Posts: 
2,806
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaia
It's rimfire.
Susceptible to the same problems as 22lr, 17hm2, 17hmr.
I have to agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore
It if fired on the 2nd try, my first assumption is the gun.
And I have to agree with this even more.


Disclaimer: My sample size of WMR guns is a single H&R convertible revolver.

My revolver would have occasional light strikes, but only on ammo with relatively small rim thickness. What I found was the firing pin protrusion was marginal.

I decided to shape the FP tip, since I've had great reliability improvement with other 22s by doing so. When I got the gun apart, I found the FP rebound spring was also the FP stop (when fully compressed). It only took clipping about 1/3 a single coil to improve the protrusion to where it should be. I went ahead with the FP shaping and put everything back together.

No more light strikes with either cylinder. I can't say for sure if the protrusion fix or the shaping had the bigger impact, but I like the results.


Even though the OP only asked about reliability, I'll throw out this observation about 22 WMR accuracy: My gun shows a definite preference for LRN bullets compared to JHPs. It doesn't seem to be a brand dependent issue either.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-22-2021, 04:58 AM
Ratdog

Join Date: 
Oct 2016
Posts: 
449
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The above is correct.
A mistaken belief is that dry firing a rimfire is bad in that the pin or hammer will be damaged or damage the chamber mouth. Disclaimer, I don't recommend dry firing any shooting device except for some airguns.
Manufacturing companies go a long way to make sure rimfire FP's do not hit the breach face. This sometimes results in light strikes and inconsistent ignition.
I have lost count on how many rimfires I have increased the FP travel and only ever gained from it.
That said you can expect a very infrequent MF but if it is happening regularly then I know where to look first &#x1f44d;
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x