Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:07 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

The front sight must be in focus.
Repeat that.
Let the rear sight fuzz a bit if it must.
But the front sight must be in focus.
Let the target be the fuzziest of the three.
But.....TFSMBIF
Old 04-07-2021, 04:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
I can't even make out the center of the targets at 25 yards. Having to estimate the fuzzy rear sight nets me 3/4" groups or smaller at 25 yards yards. Guessing where the target is gets me 2" groups. "You can't hit what you can't see".
Two things, first possibly your reading prescription isn't right for shooting. One that's a little weaker may let you see the target a little more clearly. However your eye can't focus on the foresight and target at the same time.

Secondly, pick the right target. A solid black circle on a pale background is easy to see. You don't have to worry about seeing the centre. Coloured rings, diamonds etc just make it harder. Make the black circle big enough to see, but not so big it dwarfs the foresight. Dedicated smallbore targets are about 4in at 50 yards.

Don't try to place the foresight on the target (centre hold). Aim under the target (sub six o'clock) so there is a decent gap of light above the foresight. The gap helps you aim. We can see smaller changes in brightness than distance.

Last edited by tim slater; 04-07-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:55 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While waiting @ the Walmart pharm this am a guy tried on quite a few pair reading glasses near me in his quest for seeing up close.

74 and I've been wearing glasses since 4th grade, had cataract surgery 8 yrs or so ago, and I'd not even attempt to guess what'll work specifically for you.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:59 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
No glasses will allow you to see both sights, and the target in focus at the same time.

Not even youngsters with good vision can do that, BUT young eyes can "accommodate" (change point of focus) very rapidly. As we age we lose not only the focal distance, but more importantly the muscle flexibility for the eye to accommodate.

The best you will do with "open" sights will be to find a pair of "readers" that MAY allow you to see both sights clearly, with the target partially blurred. You may not be able to do this, so err on the side of good focus on the front sight with slight blurring of the rear sight and blurred target.

"Iron sights" work better because the rear aperture works similar to the adjustable shutter on a camera to clear up the view, and the front aperture can be adjusted to a size that allows enough light around the target for good scoring (err on the too large aperture, rather than too small, because of other problems with diffraction of light giving a false picture with too small an aperture).

My reply is based on my own changes required (now age 74), plus 50 years of instructing and coaching shooters from age 10 to my own.

Last edited by Pat McCoy; 04-07-2021 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:38 PM
Photobug

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks all.

I found a pair of 1.00 readers at the dollar store today; I will give them a try.

I have accepted my aging eyes but just now that I am getting back into shooting it now gives me the problems. I have a new scope that arrived today. At arms length the box is totally readable at 24" barely, so front sights, pistols, targets, etc all seeable.

I will try the 1.00 to see how that works, if better I will try some .75s or .50s to try to balance the fuzziness of the rear sight and target. I may also consider a peep on the rear of my Henry.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:00 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCoy View Post
............"Iron sights" work better because the rear aperture works similar to the adjustable shutter on a camera to clear up the view, and the front aperture can be adjusted to a size that allows enough light around the target for good scoring (err on the too large aperture, rather than too small, because of other problems with diffraction of light giving a false picture with too small an aperture).

I'm 60+ and need glasses to shoot, open sights for me are useless, however peep/tunnel sight is far better, for me at least.

Try before you buy, if possible borrow a peep sight for your henry from a shooting colleague.

Giz
Old 04-07-2021, 09:36 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go to a range and ask to look thru some of the shooters' irons.... if possible.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:54 AM
RichJ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
72 here, I went to the eye doctor explained the situation. With my current glasses I could see my target but not the sights. Without, sights OK target hopeless. He pulled out a yardstick with eye type charts moved them around while I looked through the thing with all the adjustments in it, Made me a pair, they’re great. Point of interest when they showed me the wrap around safety frames they were quite costly. Asked what about this rack...those are junior. Fit fine, instead of around $400 they were $250 wrap around coated safety glasses and the frames looked a little heavier duty to me.

Good Luck
Rich

Love open sights and aperture sights
Old 04-08-2021, 08:07 AM
Wagwan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve tried most of the reader options listed above with moderate success. The option that has worked best for me is a glasses mounted peep or aperture sight. This is a roughly 1/16 hole in a piece of cling plastic stuck on the lens of regular shooting glasses. It really brings the front sight into focus and improves the overall depth of field. The theory is the same as a pinhole camera.

I tested the idea first with a 1/16th hole in a piece of electrical tape (note: must be a clearly defined round hole, not a jagged poked hole). It worked so well that I purchased the Eyepal set and have been happy with them. Other, similar setups also exist.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:02 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Also, the 'script is pretty much in the center of glasses lenses unless your eye doc works with you get get it in the lens part you actually look through when on the rifle. For me that is pretty much in the upper inside corner, Well Out of the script and very close to the distortion zone.
With a rest get on your rifle and sight. Have someone with a grease pencil put the tip, at your direction, where you are looking through the lens. I can pretty much guarantee it wont be close to the 'correction'.
Your face and stock design affect this, check with several, maybe optimize to your most used rifle.
Btw, with handguns this probably wont apply unless you are pulling into a 'tight Weaver' position.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
83 here and just finished with cataract surgery three months ago and my eyes have settled in. Distance vision is excellent but pistol sights are just a tiny bit blurry. My brand new prescription progressive bifocals are usable but require me to tilt my head up and my bum neck quickly tells me that is something it really doesn't care for. After using Walmart's reading glass selection to determine what magnification I needed to see my front sight sharply I ordered a pair of full lens readers from Amazon in wrap around tinted safety glasses that allows me to see my front sight in sharp definition and also deals with bright sunlight and wind. In my case I can see the target dot at 25 yards fairly well also. Total cost, $13.02. I will probably order the same thing in yellow for our rare cloudy day shooting weather.

I realise this isn't something that will work for everyone but it's an option that some can use.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:41 PM
Kurt701
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The major point of shooting glasses : such as Junkers, knobblocks, or champion the optical center can be moved so you are looking thru the center not the edge. As we age we must realize to loose the ability to rapidly focus near to far. We cheat by changing our prescriptions to different points of focus.
I have not used this site.
https://customsightpicture.com/
Another
http://www.bjonessights.com/