Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

is CZ452 american discontinued and why?

6K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  Sporter 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy cz452 american in town, but not available after asking all the dealers. Then, I tried whole Canada nation wide. Only some left Hand model left........and one dealer even told me this gun is discontinued and suggested me to buy cz455 american........

what should i do?:confused:

#2 ·
First of all, :Welcome:

Your dealer is correct. The American 452 is an obsolete model for retail.
That said, there are some around but I am not certain about Canada sales. CZ USA is not promoting them any longer but have marketed the new 455 American in it's place. You can go to the CZ USA web site for a
demo tape on the 455. Just Google in CZ USA.

From time to time, one will appear on the auctions or in the Rimfire Central Trading post.

#3 ·
The 452's are still available NIB on Gunbroker. I am watching one now. Because of the declining supply relative to the 455, they sell at a premium to the newer model. They were available from Jet Guns for $384 the other day. I bought my 455 there for $50 less than the 452.

#4 · (Edited)
This is a good place to ask. There are still a few in the system that have not been sold yet. I still see a few locally here in the US. Ask for input from your Canadian friends here on RFC. I am sure there are some small local gun shops that have a few that have not sold in your area. Most people that report on the 455 here seem to be happy with them. The 455 American is very similar to the 452. You can also keep watch for a 453 American. It has the upgraded set trigger but is otherwise about the same as the 452, just more costly. Good luck. Rumor has it that CZ made the choice to drop the 452 so they could make improvements in ease of manufacturing and efficiency. I think the idea is to build all their rifire bolt guns on one platform. The 455 is interchangeable for barrels and magazines of both .22LR and magnum calibers.

#5 ·
452 American in stock

I work at The Ridge in Dayton Tn.......2 of our distributors still have them, but only with the threaded barrel. Chattanooga Shooters had 2 FS's and 4 Varmints in stock. May buy a few to hold in stock......aren't all models of the 452 being replaced by the 455 ? :confused:

#6 ·
The above posts have nailed it -- the 452 was discontinued so CZ could streamline it's manufacturing process on rimfires and keep costs low while not affecting quality. The CZ 455 has some "early production issues" seen in a few guns, but what I have seen is that even if your 455 has issues, they are being rapidly addressed by the CZ distributors.

As mentioned, there are CZ 452s still to be found, and if you look around, you might come up with one. CZ is going to use up all the parts for the 452 that they have, and so I would not be surprised to see some "new " 452s make it across the pond to the USA and Canada.

I would not be afraid to buy a CZ 455 and probably will in the near future.

#7 ·
If worse comes to worst, you may want to consider a 16inch American. A very handy little rifle.

Another choice might be a Scout or Varmint if you choose a 452 over a 455. But pretty soon you will have a whole safe of 452s and 455s so it really does not matter which is first.

#8 ·
:Welcome: to the forum. Pretty much everything is covered above. If you can not find a 452 I would go ahead and get the 455. As supply of the 452's is dwindling the price is going up (supply and demand). I have a 455 American with all three barrels and could not be happier. The fit and finish are excellent, the more I shoot it the more accurate it gets, so either it is breaking in nicely or I am (not sure which). :D In any case you can not go wrong with any CZ rimfire model. :)

#11 ·
Yes I think so. By platform I meant the action itself would be the same. and the barrel lengths will be about the same on all models. On the 452 they have many different action to stock mounting setups and different barrel profiles. I think they intend to simplify things and get rid of barrel lugs and extra machining like the way they mount nice open sights on the 452. My 2 cents.

#16 ·
I found my 452 American on the shelf at a local shop after 4-5 phone calls last week. $385. Just posting this in case it helps you determine a fair price for one that you may come across. This in the Kansas City, MO area.

By the way, decided to pick up a sighted 452 as well. Special Trainer purchased a day later for $335. I thought the price to be fair on both for what I got. I don't think I got a great deal, nor do I feel I overpaid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.