Real world .22 self defense. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:43 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Many a gangbanger been done in by a deuce deuce, many a non-gangbanger, too.

Considering most defensive engagements happen within 10-12 feet, a .22 is gonna be a deterrent, and lethal.

Easy to handle and cheap to shoot makes a .22 shooter confident and effective.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2021, 09:08 PM
bugeye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I carry a Walther P22 because my arthritic hands just can't wrack the slide on a 9mm.
My wife always has a .25 auto in her purse loaded with hollow points not solids.
she also carries a Walther P22.
When I trained her on the P22, I stood on her left rear and as she was shooting, I'd say "click." and she would reach up and work the slide and keep shooting.
The training works because she had a dud not too long ago and cleared it in a couple of seconds.
I have since bought her a 10/22 and continue the "dud" training.
she know to turn the guns on their sides when she clears them, and, she has developed into a much better shot than me.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:13 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just want to know what kind of 22 ammo is everybody shooting to make a 22 lr unreliable. I, like everyone else, have been shooting a 22 all of my shooting life and have had way more ftf's from centerfires for one reason or another.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:39 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The conversation should address what YOU can handle. I used to shoot 44 mag, 357, etc. And have always been 5'8" and about 160 but am now 80 years old. I don't do a lot of handgun shooting because I can't hit squat with them. But went out with a friend recently and shot a Glock 19 and a small Raven sized pocket .22 with Blazers. Got to say, neither was comfortable to shoot and because I also have arthritis in my right wrist couldn't reliably keep either within 1 foot at 7 yds in rapid fire. I decided my Walther.22 will have to serve the purpose. I have a diminutive lady friend who has a SW Ladysmith in .38 with the same basic problem. Might pick up a couple of Glock .22lr in the near future because I don't like safeties.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:41 PM
3JExplorer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I just want to know what kind of 22 ammo is everybody shooting to make a 22 lr unreliable. I, like everyone else, have been shooting a 22 all of my shooting life and have had way more ftf's from centerfires for one reason or another.
I agree with this. 1000's and 1000's of .22LR with only a handful of problems.

I've used the cheapest .22LR, like Thunderbolts, and have run through an entire box of 500 without a single malfunction. Multiple times. Different guns.

By contrast, I tried the cheapest 9mm, Federal Aluminum, and a 200 round box was met with failures to feed, fire, and stovepipes. Same results in different guns that are normally totally reliable. I now only use brass in those 9mm handguns.

Self defense with a .22LR handgun is going to be a mag dump into the threat. 10+ rounds
Not looking to just shoot 1 or 2 shots at them.

My wife has a 9mm but will occasionally carry a M&P22C. She can put many rounds on target out to 7 yrds.
I carry a M&P22 Full size or a Sig Mosquito sometimes when I feel carrying "light" is suitable.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:44 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yeah, Im suprised our military doesnt use rimfire. What a joke.

If you out gunned you lose. What do the bad guys have? Im going with this at a minimum lcr 327 magnum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD360D3D-ABA1-4A4C-A366-3AE4E01BC56A.jpg (249.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Toomany22s; 01-25-2021 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:05 AM
HIghstandardguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
On another note, i have what is possibly the worst gun for , anything Rohlm RG 10 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...E4mzdNT6pX5CeF

But it does have a very nice holster.
Not only a nice holster, it still has the ejector rod.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:28 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Every time this topic comes up this jumps into my mind....

Everyone gets to use whatever appeals to them...surviving an encounter appeals to me. I want a threat shut down as quickly as possible, don't care if the perp lives or dies...just want to stop them as quickly as possible.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:10 AM
WarhammerRex

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I had no other choice, I'd carry one of my .22LR handguns. But I do have other choices. I don't have a physical condition that prevents using a centerfire handgun. I don't only own a .22. I can quickly and accurately shoot a larger gun. I have available ammo for said gun.

I also don't tend to drive over the speed limit. But I feel safer driving a vehicle that is capable of going more than 70 mph if I need it to. Purposely choosing to arm yourself with the bare minimum doesn't make sense to me. YMMV.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:45 AM
jackknife
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I agree.

I remember in the 60's three was a common dud happening. Most of all with bulk ammo. In the 80's, when I was doing a LOT of shooting, like a brick at a time on a Saturday morning with a co-worker that was also a close friend, there was some duds, not many. But Wayne and I continued our ritual of every Saturday morning shooting/plinking, and in the 90's I don't recall that many dud even with bulk ammo. After the late 90's and 2000, shooting CCI stingers or mini mags, there was never a dud. With the bulk box 550 round Federals from Walmart, very rare I'd get one that didn't go off. I don't know if it was better priming or means of speeding the priming around the rim, but the modern ammo seems to be very reliable.

I also wonder it the gun type makes a difference? I shoot S&W, NAA, and Ruger revolvers, a Marlin 39, and my wife shoots her S&W 317 revolver and a NAA black widow. Never a malfunction. I did have a Rugeer MK2, and a Beretta 21 and had regular malfunctions in each. Not common, but now and then. Sold both, now shoot only revolvers. I had a Glock 26 for two years, didn't really like it, so sold it off. Had a little Ruger LCP .380, didn't;t like that at all. It went down the road. The LCP seemed more ammo picky than any gun I ever had. By comparison, my Ruger LCR in .22lr, has fired thousands of rounds with no problem, not even a dud. Even with bulk box Federals.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:30 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
If someone wants to carry a .22lr for self defense that is 100% fine with me. Any gun is better than no gun. Personally I will never carry a .22lr for self defense, no matter how many times you try to convince everyone here of it's effectiveness. If you read your own post it says most defensive shootings take place close to arms length away. At that distance you could hit a person with a Derringer loaded with a 50 BMG 10/10 times probably even if you never fired a gun once in your entire life. And while it may not be a popular discussion if you do have to shoot someone in a self defense situation you will end up in a courtroom after more than likely. You are a whole lot less likely to have someone testifying against and trying to sue you if you used a larger caliber round. Not sure why you feel the need to to bring up this exact same subject every few months as it has been beaten to death already.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:45 AM
utbrowningman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've mentioned before on other gun forums of those who berate the .22 LR for self defense...I ask for volunteers to get shot by the .22 to prove their point. I have yet to have a volunteer. Use what you are comfortable with and know how to use properly.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:51 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Such a specious argument....
Old 01-25-2021, 10:59 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Having never shot anyone or been shot I have no practical experience in this matter. As to 25 ACP I will relate what a state cop that I used to chew the fat with at the LGS told me about the round. Several of of us n the chewing sessions were motorcycle riders and carried a 25 for protection was the reason the subject came up. He told the story of how he had hauled the same guy to the hospital three times when he was shot in the chest with a 25 and he lived through all three shooting. The guy must have been really stupid as the same person shot him with same gun in all three incidents. I bought a 38 to carry.

I like the "there is no substitute for cubic inches" used by old time hot rodders and think it works in the bullet size world also. A 44 caliber bullet displaces four times the area of a 22 bullet. Of course you have to take into consideration being able to hit your target with the larger calibers. If you can hit reliably with a 22 rimfire and can't hit the side of a barn with the 44 which will be most effective if you are ever in a situation where you have to shoot someone?

I carry what I can shoot reasonably well, fervently hope I'll never have a need for it, and plan on running away if possible as my first defense.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:41 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIghstandardguy View Post
Not only a nice holster, it still has the ejector rod.
Yeah , i had to buy that The pistol was a gift.