Golden Bullets Score - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:56 PM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Golden Bullets Score

I didn't want to put this under the ammo section, there's just too many haters of Remington ammo there. They either equate GBs as the same as Thunderbolts, or they think that because they had a box of Remingtons 10 years ago that had many duds, that all Remington ammo forever is junk.
At least there is some love here.

I started buying bricks of them about 2 years ago and have not had a single misfire, no damaged bullets in the bulk packs, and accuracy in all my rifles is right up there with Mini-Mags. The second (or third) best ammo in all of my rifles and handguns happens to be the GB.
The best is either RWS plated HVHP or Mini-Mags, but the GBs are never far behind.
I have had misfires (and terrible accuracy) with Federal American Eagle, but no one ever bad mouths them like the Remingtons.

I try to save my Mini Mags and RWS for hunting, and use the Goldens for plinking and range use. But I was down to my last brick, until today that is.
I checked a few places for ammo this morning, not a thing on the shelves.

But a Walmart near me just happened to get a bunch of .22s in this morning.
There were 7 bricks of Goldens for $24.97 each, and also a few dozen 100 packs of Mini-Mags also selling for the "normal" price of $7.97 each.
I bought 5 bricks of the GBs, thought I'd let someone else score the last two.
My Nylon 66 and 552 Speedmaster will be happy (and my SA-22 and BL-22 !)
Old 01-22-2021, 03:43 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You were fortunate. People are standing in line overnight like Black Friday, or driving hours for potential ammo purchases.

Quote:
People started lining up in front of the door at Academy Sports + Outdoors in Lake Mary as early as 2 a.m. on Monday waiting for the doors to open at 9 a.m.

When FOX 35 News asked several of those in line what they were waiting for, they all answered “ammo.” Many voiced that they are afraid of what new gun laws could come under a new administration.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I never had a problem with the Remington golden bullets, in fact I have over 5000 of them. My old 500 series Remington 22 rifles shoot them just as good or better than cci.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2021, 06:21 PM
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nothing wrong with RGB, I shoot them in my Colt Umarex 1911 at plates. I wouldn't shoot bullesye with them. I kinda wish I picked up a 1400 round bucket of bullets at 59.95 a while back. I have a fair amount of CCI Blazer so I'm not crying.

Shooting ammo appropriate to what you are doing is just good economics. If I'm drawing, shooting plates, RGB is good. If I have my rifle out and shooting 200 yards Center X is pretty sweet.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:29 PM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Great score! was at my Walmart today and they may as well just stock health and beauty aids in the case. Not one box of any kind of ammo in stock!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:55 PM
utbrowningman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington lost me as a customer after the last gun/ammo shortage because I had 10%+ FTF.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:08 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it was Remington or reload rimfire, duh, I'd shoot more Remington. Not a big fan but sometimes they shoot ok. I've had my share of Remington duds so hopefully Federal will get that taken care of.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:25 PM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Goldens are OK, not perfect but very much OK.
They are hell on earth to Whistle Pigs
The world is full of complainers and whiners, let them whine, moan and complain, ignore it. LOL
Old 01-22-2021, 08:31 PM
dustoffer
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Only one of my .22s likes GBs--a 512 that had the barrel lopped off about 3" due to rust-and I mean rust in the bore. Squirrels, skunks, armadillos, pigeons--don't like them one bit. Either the rest of my .22 rifles have more discriminating tastes in ammo or this 512 is just a bit "off"
Old 01-22-2021, 08:35 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I like them too.

I have good experience with Remington Golden Bullets and wish I had a bunch more.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:54 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I never had a big problem with duds using GB's, my problem with them is how dirty they are. I would not put someone else down for choosing to shoot them. Right now that's a huge score. I went on GunBroker last night just out of curiosity and was blown away by what the ammo is selling for. Cheap bulk .22lr is going for .80 - $1/round. It's gotten so ridiculous people are literally selling individual 50 round boxes. I seen 5 - 100 round packs of Mini-Mags up to $410 with 14m left and 8 bidders.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:00 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice score

If youíre happy , Iím happy

At 5 cents a round, you can shoot as much as you want!
Old 01-22-2021, 09:54 PM
jerryray
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought five bricks back in the good ol' days last year when Midway had a sale. They work fine for plinking which is mostly what I do.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:27 AM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
Only one of my .22s likes GBs--a 512 that had the barrel lopped off about 3" due to rust-and I mean rust in the bore. Squirrels, skunks, armadillos, pigeons--don't like them one bit. Either the rest of my .22 rifles have more discriminating tastes in ammo or this 512 is just a bit "off"
Some guns can definitely be more finicky than others.

We have a Remington 572 that would FTF 1-3 per 100 using Remington Goldens and Thunderbolts, but the large majority of those if tried would fire in a CZ 452.

It was rare for a round to not fire in the CZ using ammo from the same brick

Lets hope Vista brings Remington ammo up to the quality of CCI's and Federal.

Last edited by rem33; 01-23-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:34 AM
NoJacketRequired

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington Golden Bullets have been my hollow-point ammo of choice for nearly five decades. They have been surprisingly consistent over all those years, save for a period in the mid-2000's where they were hit-or-miss on priming reliability.

BTW, here in Canada the ammo shortage is even more real than in the USA. We only get the dregs of US production. When I see a decent deal I end up buying a couple of cases of 5,000 at a time. It makes one feel good to look into the locker and find a few thousand rounds awaiting your plinking pleasure. When I was training hard I would burn through a 500-round brick in a single training session, 15-20,000 rounds a year. Thank goodness I'm not running at that rate of consumption these days as I don't know where I would get enough ammo to meet that level of demand!