Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:29 PM
CrankyBuzzard
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wife is uncomfortable with new trigger weight

Just about completed the 2nd build for my wife. It’s a KIDD SG build and this time I ordered her pull weight for 2.5#. Using snap caps she has “fired” a few times and says that she’s not sure that the lighter weight pull will be for her, she says it’s almost too easy to fire and makes her nervous. I’ve measured it 4 times and the average was just over 2.5#.

So, any suggestions on someone working their way into a lower trigger weight? She’s always been 4-5# in the past.

For the record, I didn’t tell her I had dropped the weight, she questioned it after the first few tries, and no, we haven’t ran any live rounds through it yet, that’ll be next week. Hopefully that’ll change her mind, but she asked me about it, and I told her I knew a “few” people to ask.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:01 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Habit and Muscle Memory is hard for some to overcome...even IF it's bad.. and it was. Let her run 50 rounds before you do anything.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:23 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The 'proof' is in the actual shooting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2020, 07:32 PM
CrankyBuzzard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Habit and Muscle Memory is hard for some to overcome...even IF it's bad.. and it was. Let her run 50 rounds before you do anything.
That’s what I told her as well. Since we’ll be zeroing and “breaking in”, there should be 200+ ran through both rifles.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:33 PM
CrankyBuzzard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
The 'proof' is in the actual shooting.
I agree 100%
Old 12-23-2020, 07:41 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Tell her this.. It is very hard to concentrate on the target IF you are concentrating to the point your butt is puckering trying to pull the 5 lb. trigger... seriously, the hard pull and heavy anticipation is detrimental to good trigger control... much mo beda with a crisp, light and repeatable break.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
give her a 6 ounce trigger and she will think a 2.5 pound trigger is a brick. seriously your wife has two kidd SG builds?

Last edited by wonshott; 12-23-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:54 PM
Bruno70254
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

My thought exactly, would you consider adoption?
Old 12-23-2020, 08:16 PM
CrankyBuzzard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonshott View Post
give her a 6 ounce trigger and she will think a 2.5 pound trigger is a brick. seriously your wife has two kidd SG builds?
LOL!

She and I were just discussing this. Shortly after she expressed her thoughts on hers, I got my new build and said pull this.... I’m still a single stage guy, but the 1.5# made her say, “no @#$&*%/ way”! Again, we shall see...

This will be her second full build, the first was a modified 10/22 receiver with a KIDD barrel and a Hogue stock. She loves Hogue to the point that I wonder if she dated one of the brothers in college. Lol

I built my first a couple of years ago and she thought that was the coolest thing ever, so I jumped at the opportunity and ordered 2 “kits” from KIDD and put hers in a Hogue stock she fell in love with at a gun show, and mine into a no name something chassis I found. Since she likes to plink and hear steel go “ping”, I figured I was done for her. However, our nephew, her most favorite non child of her own, expressed that his new bride liked to shoot and we let them shoot the “his and hers” we had, and they ended up getting the 2 I had built up for us. They are loving them by the way.

This time SHE spec’d out what she wanted, and once again went with a Hogue stock , and now wants it “all silver”.... The glass should be here next week... In the interim, it’ll be a tosser scope a friend gave her.

Next week should be interesting when she shoots both to see the difference.

Yes, I’m a LUCKY guy!
Old 12-23-2020, 10:35 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I think after she puts 50-100 rounds through the rifle she'll be very happy with the lighter trigger pull. I let people dry fire my Kidd 2 stage triggers @ 3oz/3oz all the time and I always get the same reaction "it's way too light". Then when I let them shoot they get surprised on the first few shots and usually start to get comfortable after about 10 rounds. The only downside is she'll never want to go back to a heavy trigger again on any gun.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:15 AM
Bullet Bob
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I think she's a very smart person, and you should buy her something extra for Christmas because you're lucky enough to be married to her.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:36 AM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonshott View Post
This ^^^ sort of..

I got one of the Kidd 2 stage 6 oz triggers. When I first got it, It would go off when I touched the trigger. I thought I was going to have to send it back. After about 100 rounds, I have learned how to take up the first 3 oz, and hold on the second stage. I believe she will adjust to it quickly with minimal range time.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:02 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I've got a Kidd single stage trigger. It is adjustable. There is a 1/16" hex screw at the rear of the trigger guard.

https://www.coolguyguns.com/assets/i...structions.pdf
Old 12-24-2020, 11:37 AM
maximus83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Suggest that she do a comparison: do an accuracy test favorite ammo, 50yd, 10rd groups. Best group she can get with the normal weight she's comfortable with.

Then do some dry fire practice with a lighter weight, and run the same test.

In the end let her choose, if the rifle is for her. You'll both be happier. But that way she's at least basing it on something objective.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:40 PM
CrankyBuzzard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
I've got a Kidd single stage trigger. It is adjustable. There is a 1/16" hex screw at the rear of the trigger guard.

https://www.coolguyguns.com/assets/i...structions.pdf

Trigger adjustment isn’t an issue, I was wondering if anyone had ever “coached” someone directly to a lighter pull.

I’m in line with what most have said, 50-100 rounds later she’ll be much more at ease with it.