Raise the cheek rest - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:30 AM
Powderflask
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Raise the cheek rest

I like big scopes and I can not lie,

Getting older and trying to shoot at longer ranges with my 22LR's I keep putting higher and higher magnification scopes on them to aid my decreasing and decreasing vision.

On a wood stock CZ Varmint what clever contrivances have some of you come up with to raise the cheek rest to a proper height?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2020, 07:36 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are lots of strap ons. One in leather might look good with wood. I will look for a link to give you an idea. I am sure you can find may choices in cost and materials.

Pick your poison

https://www.google.com/search?q=rifl...w=1347&bih=745

https://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactic.../dp/B0084GS1QM

Last edited by fourbore; 01-29-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:51 AM
SLS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I had tried strap on risers but didn’t like the movement they had. Slip on stretchy risers may be better. The best one I ever had I made from a piece of closed cell foam fitted and then wrapped with Coban. It wasn’t high tech or particularly attractive, but it worked great and didn’t mark up the wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2020, 08:06 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Best option , buy a new stock , like the AT one with an adjustable riser.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:13 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Fwiw, Ive been doing better since going to higher rings for a more erect head position using a light cheek touch to the comb to 'index' rather than a 'cheek weld' and cramming my head down.
On 22s and air rifles it seems the less I input to the gun the better.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:41 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
https://rlocustomleather.com/product...th-cheek-riser
Old 01-29-2020, 11:44 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Beartooth comb riser kits from Bass Pro have worked well for me. They come with 5 different thicknesses of pad under a neoprene sleeve.
Tales of how hard they are to get over the stock are a crock of sh*t if you follow the directions.
You may want to use two sided tape between the stock and the pad so they don't slide.
I have them on 3 rifles, zero problems.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:00 PM
Rodmaker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I do not remember the name of the product but is made by 3M. It is used to insuate wiring. It looks like black electrical tape only much thicker, made out a runber base rather than plastic and has no glue on it. It sticks to itself when streched a little. Bass fishermen also use it to secure spinning reels to rods. Cut 2-3 pieces long enough to go over the comb but short enough not to show. Keeps the lace on risers from slipping around and it leaves no glue residue. I have esed it on 2 stocks.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:25 PM
jeffmaney
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodmaker View Post
I do not remember the name of the product but is made by 3M. It is used to insuate wiring. It looks like black electrical tape only much thicker, made out a runber base rather than plastic and has no glue on it. It sticks to itself when streched a little. Bass fishermen also use it to secure spinning reels to rods. Cut 2-3 pieces long enough to go over the comb but short enough not to show. Keeps the lace on risers from slipping around and it leaves no glue residue. I have esed it on 2 stocks.
Scotch #130C or Scotch #23 rubber splicing tape

Jeff
Old 01-29-2020, 02:41 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
These look good. I have something similar on a sniper Garand. They used 2 screws, back in the day, to prevent slippage. I think if one pays attention to very very tightly stretching the leather it will hold. I never tired this, but; a nylon cord could be substituted for the leather lacing. I have used surgical tubing around the rest to pre-tighten. It worked so well that a little welter was left in the leather rest. Think tight.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:01 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (135)
Beartooth, made of wetsuit material with different thickness inserts, really worked much better for me than the stra/lace-on units I tried.

https://www.beartooth-products.com/
Old 01-29-2020, 04:13 PM
Gasguy
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your DIY inclined, buy a small sheet of Kydex, heat it in the oven to 250F and it will be soft enough to mold. Form the hot sheet over the stock to get a shape, let it cool in-place to hold shape.
Cut to shape after cooled, attach velcro to side of stock and inside kydex. One vertical and one horizontal that allows forward or backward adjustments as well as height.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm big time on the Beartooth bandwagon having shot many rifles using this specific model.
https://www.beartooth-products.com/c...-no-loop-black

Comes in different colors and several Camo versions.
I've never had to tape it to keep it in place, but may be needed on some stocks.

I've owned or tried several other brands, and the Beartooth is the one for me

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 01-29-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:29 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am also on the Beartooth bandwagon.

A tip on using one. Tape the closed foam down to the stock before wrasslin' that neoprene cover, it will save you untold effort and aggravation. Bring the neoprene down from the forearm, don't try to put it on over the widest part of the stock.

I use them on the Scout models. They are quite beneficial to me.

Last edited by glennasher; 01-29-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:36 PM
retiredsarge48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have a 452 Trainer that I converted from a receiver sight to a scope about three years ago. I spent some time messing with strap on cheek risers and they were never quite right. I went to our local gunsmith and he recommended a cheek riser kit from Brownels. I think the kit was about $75 and then he had to make a wooden riser to mount to the kit from Brownels. He did a wonderful job of matching wood and finish and I now have a riser that is adjustable and will in fact adjust to any height scope that I can imagine.