Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:26 PM
22_boomer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where Mossy models B and C both takedown rifles?

I rebuilt a rifle that used the Model C stock and it has the original butt plate, trigger guard and barrel although the receiver end of the barrel was modified to work with a later type receiver but it is still a single shot. It would appear the model C was designed to be a takedown rifle by unscrewing the little brass knob under the stock. I wondered if Mossberg made some type of storage device for the Model B and C rifles?
Old 07-17-2021, 12:58 PM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have never heard of a storage device and doubt Mossberg had such. That would have increased the price. But if it is Mossberg you never know. If there had been a demand a jobber would have stepped in. Also there may have been something on the market already. I do have a couple Model B s and they are small when taken down.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:35 PM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter2 View Post
I have never heard of a storage device and doubt Mossberg had such. That would have increased the price. But if it is Mossberg you never know. If there had been a demand a jobber would have stepped in. Also there may have been something on the market already. I do have a couple Model B s and they are small when taken down.
I was hoping there was something for them when taken down but they are old rifles and where meant to be inexpensive. I decided to make a small case I can fit the barreled action and the stock into. I hope this works out OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2021, 04:28 PM
bone

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Most of the early models all had an easy take down which made it easier to clean in the field. But to my knowledge, none came with a storage case.

The Model B was also known as a Trapper's Special. Can't remember who sold it, thinking a Hardware or mail order of some sorts.

Post up some pics of the case when you get it done.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:57 PM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I understand the Trappers Special was commissioned by the Taylor Fur Co and led to the Model B. Mossberg previously made an item for the Taylor Fur Co so had a relationship with them. The Wards version was Premier Single Shot. Century had the Bearcat #5 and I remember reading not too long ago there may have been another hardware store version but I don't remember the hardware store name.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:12 AM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got into the single shot rifles since the type of ammo I used does not feed well at all from the Mossberg magazines. The Aguila colibri and Super Colibri are listed at 22LR but are actually more of a LONG type cartridge due to the short bullets. I also like the CCI CB Long 22 ammo although its a bit louder so I use it in longer barreled rifles. I wish I could afford to buy a true Mossberg model B or C but that's not going to happen. I'll try to do a nice job on the storage box but I can't promise any pictures if it turns out bad.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:18 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I'm sure you will do an excellent job. Looking forward to seeing pic's
Old 07-18-2021, 10:15 AM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsisme View Post
I'm sure you will do an excellent job. Looking forward to seeing pic's
I honestly appreciate what you said. I am disabled and just a decrepit old dog and this gives me something to do. The single shots are for my back yard target range that's only 25 yards so I try to stay with iron sights although some of the rifles have 4 power scopes. My favorite is based on a 144 LSA with a hand made receiver so I have room to insert the rounds by hand. The stock was a mess so I shortened it and cut a new barrel ring slot and was going to be my hot offhand rifle but my hands where not steady enough for that so I reverted to something the old buffalo hunters used -- cross sticks and that worked great. only problem now is the supply of ammo. I don't want to annoy the neighbors with noise and that's the reason for the type of ammo I use. The neighbor's dogs and my dogs can still hear it and there is something about it that we can't here but they can and they don't bark they go hide or just want to stay inside.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:51 AM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I finally built a storage box for the rifle. Remember this is actually a parts rifle that used the Mossberg model C stock and the model C barrel. It has a blade front sight and folding V notch rear sight and I was surprised that I could shoot the rifle really well with those sights.

The box is felt lined and the parts that hold the stock in place have felt on the stock side. The stock and barrel are held in place with Velcro straps and I made a special holder for the modified bolt that works with the barrel and home made receiver. I actually found a place that had the Aguila Colibri ammo and that is what I shoot in the rifle. I've never had a takedown rifle that was so easy to put together and take apart. I still need to add a padlock to the box since I have grandchildren over at times.

At my age and being disabled working with wood is kind of difficult for me these days. I still need to add a carry handle and maybe a place for one of those Patch Worm bore cleaners.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 08-14-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:15 AM
bone

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Great job on the storage case.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:08 PM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
X2
Old 08-14-2021, 08:40 PM
headhunter2
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
X3
That looks great.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:15 AM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all very much. It took me a while to get it done but glad I stuck to it.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:41 PM
DaveHH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wood is so expensive that doing anything is cost prohibitive. A redwood 4X4 post is $54 at HD. When Maxaam stole PALCO and clear cut 100 years supply of Redwood in about 20 years, that post was $2. I'm having a deck replaced with Redwood and materials drove the price to over $23K. Stupid. Choice is redwood or compressed trash (Trex). I can't get my head around compressed trash.

Beautiful work.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:24 AM
22_boomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post
Wood is so expensive that doing anything is cost prohibitive. A redwood 4X4 post is $54 at HD. When Maxaam stole PALCO and clear cut 100 years supply of Redwood in about 20 years, that post was $2. I'm having a deck replaced with Redwood and materials drove the price to over $23K. Stupid. Choice is redwood or compressed trash (Trex). I can't get my head around compressed trash.

Beautiful work.
Thank you so much. Years ago I built a beautiful wood deck on the back of the house and later added a Lexan roof. I believe red wood is pretty good for areas that are wet but even back then I could not afford it so I used pressure treated wood and stained it. 25 or so years later I had to have it all removed and a company built a really nice enclosed patio and nice screening to keep the mosquitoes out. The floor is a concrete stab that is tiled. Cost me a bunch but I will probably be gone way before anything goes on that patio.