Opinions On Smoking - Page 28 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:38 PM
ngzcaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Yeah, I was stupid for about 20 years when all the info wasn't available. Don't think there's any doubt about it now a days although there may few a few that think the Earth is still flat....
Old 10-25-2017, 07:56 PM
M60A1Rise
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been smoking for over 30 yrs and am now on my second week with the patch. Doing ok with nothing else , hardest part is after a meal but otherwise it's hasn't been too bad.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Old Sensei

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Noxious Weed

My father was honest and hardworking. He had 103 points when discharged from the Army after starting in Normandy and ending up in Germany. Two bronze stars (one with a V). He had a huge amount of self-control and wisdom. The only thing I can remember him not being able to do is stop smoking. It can be a deadly addiction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 10:11 PM
TheOldMan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I smoked for over thirty years. It’s been four years since I used Chantix to quit. I can’t believe how awful a cigarette smells to me now. I can pass someone on a sidewalk and know that they smoke. I can’t believe that I actually walked around with that stench.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M60A1Rise View Post
Been smoking for over 30 yrs and am now on my second week with the patch. Doing ok with nothing else , hardest part is after a meal but otherwise it's hasn't been too bad.
Hang tough. I lost a lot of my buds to lung and throat cancers.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:03 PM
chillypepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I quit when I woke up last tuesday. My attitude has been less than stellar to say the least. Most of the time okay cept for first thing in the morning and after meals.

Friday after a fair bit of hops and barley I tried to light one up and though I was going to choke to death. Stomach ache, back started hurting, head ache and thought I was going yack for at least an hour off one little drag.

Hopefully I don't have to experience that again anytime soon, or ever.

The best part is after about day 3 things started to smell different and food tasted better. Maybe better isn't the proper word. Foods flavors tasted stronger, I guess is a better description.

And I been putting a $5 bill in a coffee can each day I don't smoke. Hope to add that bit of incentive to myself for fun stuff or even emergency "I need a bunch of $ right now" stuff.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:28 PM
yellowthroat
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reformed smoker here. If you've never smoked, don't start. If you smoke, stop. You will never regret either move, never.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Joe M
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowthroat View Post
Reformed smoker here. If you've never smoked, don't start. If you smoke, stop. You will never regret either move, never.
Late to this poll, but I agree 100% with the above!

I've been a smoker for near 43 years and I'm still trying to quit. It's the stupidest thing I ever started, and continue to do... I hope some day I'll be able to kick the habit but in my case I'll probably die from it.

Do yourself a big favor,,, don't ever start tobacco use.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypepper View Post
And I been putting a $5 bill in a coffee can each day I don't smoke. Hope to add that bit of incentive to myself for fun stuff or even emergency "I need a bunch of $ right now" stuff.
Or buy a Cooper or Anne.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
I hope some day I'll be able to kick the habit but in my case I'll probably die from it.
se.
Your first heart attack might do it or cutting out cancer. We all die from something but why rush it. I know 2 guys well who now both sport ear to ear continuous scars under their chins from getting throat cancer and lymph nodes removed. One can still talk ok and the other that I've known for 45 yrs I now call Whispers.

Buy some nicotine gum, and suck it up until you're over the hump.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:21 PM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fortunately my parents never smoked and not one in my family smokes and we are all in our 60s now.

Unfortunately, I have/had other relatives and co-workers who smoked and died.

I have a close friend who smoked who started using e-cigs AKA Vapes and he was able to reduce the nicotine in the fluid to where he uses nothing and quit smoking. I've pushed "vaping" on others I know who smoke and a good number of them have quit smoking. Some still use nicotine in the fluid but aren't inhaling the tars and other crap that is in smoke.

I probably know at least a dozen people now who vape instead of smoke and are better off for it.

And no, I don't vape either.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:22 AM
Tony T.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad I quit

I smoked for 21 years, quit in June 1997. I was getting to the point I was smoking 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 packs a day. I was having a lot of that acid reflux constantly and told my uncle about it,he being a ex smoker himself said to me if you'll quit those cigarette's that acid reflux will pretty much go away.

I finally decided to quit and did, but I picked up another nasty habit of dipping snuff and I believe it's harder to quit than smoking now.

Tony
Old 02-17-2018, 02:45 AM
Vasquez956

TPC Rating: 
95% (18)
Wow, a lot of you have smoked longer than I've been alive.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:38 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Angry smoked for over 40 years

stopped and started again MANY times. it is a terrible addiction to shake. about 6-7 years ago I got the swine flu even though I had the shot. sick as a dog for two full weeks, didn't smoke those two weeks. when I started feeling better the thought hit me, I have already gone through withdrawal and was to sick to feel it !! now is the time to keep going, and I HAVE. I now notice people who smoke when I get within 10 feet of them, hard to believe I smelled like that and didn't even know it ! another plus, is the expense, I saw a sign recently, carton of winstons $42.00. WOW . carton a week as I was doing, nearly $200. a month.my wife kept on smoking but finally quit about 6 months ago, thank god. I started at 16 yo, because it was cool ! how dumb I was and didn't realize it at the time.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:38 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, since I first posted in here, about smoking for 32 years, quitting 12 years ago, I have been diagnosed with Emphysema (COPD)

So far, it doesn't affect me too much, apart from a shortness of breath, but be aware - even after 12 years, that stuff catches up with you.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Well, since I first posted in here, about smoking for 32 years, quitting 12 years ago, I have been diagnosed with Emphysema (COPD)

So far, it doesn't affect me too much, apart from a shortness of breath, but be aware - even after 12 years, that stuff catches up with you.
Very sad to read that, VD.