Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:37 AM
Trigger71
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shooting a match with a frozen cold gun

I am shooting my 41PC in several local matches. Some of the matches do not have a sight in time--strait to the first COF.

I am in Michigan and it's Brrrr. My employer does not allow firearms inside, so the pistol is freezing in my car from 8-6 PM. (sometimes even overnight)

I've noticed that in my first course of slow fire, my groups are horrible. It takes at least 20 shots before things start to normalize. This seems a bit excessive I thought.

I found that Eley Club was worse than the CCI standard I practice with. (I'm not sure what lube CCI uses.) Also, I understand that the frozen powder may have a different burn rate that could have an affect on velocity. Anyway, I will start bringing the ammo indoors with me.

If the gun is completely sold soaked below freezing, will this also effect POI? If I get to a match, I may have 20-30 mins to let the pistol warm up, but the steel is still very cold to the touch, so I assume the inner barrel is still very cold. If I have been shooting Eley, then the wax coating in the barrel is also then cold/thick I assume.

Thoughts on how I can improve my first round of Slow Fire? I've heard guys keeping ammo consistent temps summer/ice pack and winter/glove warmer in a cooler. would keeping my gun in a cooler help?
Old 01-16-2020, 11:24 AM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If the gun is cold soaked be certain it has minimal to no lube anywhere except a wee bit on the rails....and use light weight lube, no grease. The firing pin and pin spring should be as clean and dry as you can get them. This applies to ANY .22 in cold weather, not specific to the 41. Do not ignore the condensation that will appear when the gun warms up.

More important is to keep the ammo warm. I use a small cooler with a disposable hand warmer inside the cooler for bulk storage. Keep the box or boxes you will be using in the next hour in an inside pocket, and the loaded magazines as well.... If it is just too cold maybe a trip to Florida or Nevada is in order.....bob
Old 01-16-2020, 01:52 PM
Trigger71

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Bob,

For lube, I normally used a drop of the Brian Enos Slide Glide. It come in different viscosity and I've experimented in different temps. I use this more on my center-fires and will switch to a lighter oil if the gun will sit out all day. I have a Mk IV that is very sensitive to oil and a cold bolt I was kinda wondering about the cold bore itself. I hear the rifle guys at our clubs Egg shoots talk about warming and keeping their barrels warm between heats. Perhaps this is more critical i rifles than pistols. Either way, it seems odd I would have to shoot so many rounds (about 20) before I see groups coming back to normal. Perhaps it Is the ammo also warming up and not the barrel at all???
Going forward I will be taking my ammo indoors during the day while working. I often travel airlines for work and in that case I will pull out the Yeti while I'm away for the day.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 07:55 PM
smithfan4152

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Cold gun

Get yourself a DC inverter, and put a electric heating pad on the floor of your car, you can get creative with putting it inside a metal box, but surely you don't need to have this cranked up very high to keep your gun warm. You can also experiment with the amount of time you let it warm up, so your not worried about your car catching fire. I doubt this would really be considered dangerous or risky, many use electric blankets and heating pads. You can test it out in your garage in an open area. You could also try the cooler idea.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:46 PM
Trigger71

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So today I tried the cooler idea. I took the pistol case and the ammo can out of my range bag and put it in a cooler.
I had been given this "collar thing" that heats up in the microwave that you put around your neck for neck/shoulder pain for Christmas. Lol, I thought it was a weird gift, as who is going to walk around with this tube full of hot beads around them. --Well I stand corrected. After a couple mins in the microwave I put that "neck thingy" in the cooler and it stayed warm for hours. How's that for resourceful? Also, I learned that the loaded mags will go in the cooler as well next time. They have a very small bit of silicon on the follower pin, apparently that doesn't like freezing either.

Thanks for the ideas here guys!
Old 01-19-2020, 04:00 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Following this thread

Hi steve what team you shoot for?

I am in the same boat and looking for ideas. I have a pardini and have never found that the firearm performs any different in sub zero weather but to grab it for the first shot the grip simply deep freezes my hand.

I am fortunate that we do have a 5 minute live fire warm up period but I have thought about bringing in a hair dryer.

Do they make a propane powered heat gun without a exposed flame?

Regards,
Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com